New Jeep/Brute

trailsurfer

Explorer
nice brute! how about some build details? what kind of mileage are you getting?

Too new at this point for MPG statistics. This Brute was originally built by the AEV guys and has been driven by an AEV employee for the last few years. So it has all of the AEV mods that go along with a Brute build, 3.5 inch lift, and still working out the gears to make sure we have what works best with the engine and new tires/wheels.

Last edited:

BenHedrick

Adventurer
I too have a Brute and I too think it is one AWESOME Jeep. I am selling my current Brute only to build a bigger badder one. And yes, you can put an RTT on them...

rtt-up1.jpg

rt-front1.jpg

trailsurfer

Explorer
This is my Brute.

AEV did the conversion.

It has a Cummins 3.3 QSB, electronic Diesel, 5 speed. 210 Ft/lbs of torque at idle, close to 390 ft/lbs max torque. I got 30 MPG on my first tank of gas.

I have put about 500 miles on it so far and drove it back from the Expo to Colorado. I will post some pictures of the engine tomorrow.

Dave Harrington is debating whether to offer this as a conversion option and my Brute was the guinea pig.

forsakenfuture

Explorer
I really didn't thank AEV had anything to do with the diesel swap. Although its not for me it's cool to see they are considering this.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
trailsurfer,

I will try to keep all my question over here on your original thread.

WOW! You got 30mpg on 37" tires. Now that is awesome.

Do all your gauges and everything work? Do you have A/C? Cruise Control?

What does the QSB mean behind the 3.3?

What 5spd does it have? Where they not able to use the stock 6spd NSG370?

Does the engine seem like it is making out at 70mph?

Have you climbed up i70 near the tunnel with it yet? I'd really like to know how it does at elevations. Although I don't live near Durango, I hope I see you around Colorado some time as I'd love to see this in person.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
From your post in the other thread, it is amazing to hear that you have 4.10s with 37's. I have 4.56 on 33's.

Thank you for providing all this info. Please keep us updated on how it performs.

trailsurfer

Explorer
The gauges all work. Dave even put in a Diesel specific instrument panel with a glow plug symbol and a "Diesel Only" fuel indicator.

AC is in, just need to get a couple of fittings finished and it will be operational. We couldn't figure out the cruise control and it wasn't important to me, so I told Dave not to waste any brainpower on it.

I have taken it up and over the passes around here and it pulls at 70 MPH just fine. Elevation doesn't seem to have much affect on the performance.

I am not sure what 5 speed is being used.

This is my Brute.

AEV did the conversion.

It has a Cummins 3.3 QSB, electronic Diesel, 5 speed. 210 Ft/lbs of torque at idle, close to 390 ft/lbs max torque. I got 30 MPG on my first tank of gas.

I have put about 500 miles on it so far and drove it back from the Expo to Colorado. I will post some pictures of the engine tomorrow.

Dave Harrington is debating whether to offer this as a conversion option and my Brute was the guinea pig.

That's a good debate, can I interest Dave in an opinion? :) It seems a bit better than the HPA VW kit that's been in the works for a while, definitely sounds tempting. Does he need another guinea pig? I'd probably be willing to oink for that -- maybe he needs to try it on something other than a Brute? Like say a 2005 LJ (to match his previous 2.8 conversion)? :drool:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Here is a link to another forum with a guy who's putting one of the cummins 3.3 (but with mechanical injection) into a 2008 JKU - says you have to use the 6 speed tranny from a late TJ to fit the cummins...

"As for the Tranny, I am mating it to a NSG370 - The same manual 6-speed transmission that comes standard in JK's and optional in Late TJ's. This setup does require the TJ bell housing, though. And, unfortunately with this transmission the bell-housing is more than just a bolt-on to the end, it encases some of the gears as well. The required adapters seen in the pictures were designed and available from a friend. Anyone interested can PM me and I will provide more info."

http://www.jk-forum.com/jk-show-tell-33/4-door-cummins-3-3-build-211567/

He's got the engine running but still more work to do to finish it up.

He apparently rode in this thread's TJ with the cummins and liked it so much that he's building his own...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78