New Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rooftop Camper Hits the Market

campertramper

I saw the new Hatchet Overland rooftop camper at Overland Expo a few weeks ago and I was mightily impressed. See https://www.hatchetoverland.com/. It's inspired by the Ursa Minor J30 but has several innovations that I would love to discuss in detail on this forum. Unlike the J30 it opens forward creating a space inside the trunk area that is permanently open for entering/exiting the camper. It allows for a thicker mattress up to 6" - I tried it with a 4" blowup mattress that was very comfortable. There is space on the top to mount maxtrax and solar. It uses your original hard top through modification which saves some money on the Ursa minor options for a working windshield wiper and defroster on the rear window or the sliding windows. My concerns are mostly about weather. It's not clear that it's going to be really weatherproof or even if it will repel moisture and retain heat. The interior led lights didn't look as polished to me but the platform itself seems like it has a lot of potential. I'm not sure if they will accept awnings or how durable they will be. They are a little cheaper than the J30 at 8k installed and the founders are planning a production run this winter. What do those of you with J30 experience think?

m-l_johnny

Is access from the very rear of the vehicle, behind the sport cage?
If so, I could see access being a little more cumbersome with an area that is typically configured for storage or slide out “stuff”.
Interesting concept, though. It’s good to see some competition.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I agree that having standing room available while the bed is deployed is crucial. Even if you don't need to stand to put on pants, the idea that one must pop out a bed board, or have a partner shift over, so that someone else can get out of bed, is a major shortcoming of many of the other camper designs. (This is perplexingly common on many of the canopy-style tent systems as well - just make the stupid cabover a little longer!!!)

I also like that they've made it tall enough to leave bedding in place (although that does hurt the aesthetics a little) - I think they'd be well-served to get some photos of one shot to body-color. I'm a form > function guy, but that big black tub looks like the hull of a swamp skiff turned upside down. Maybe it's just the lack of taper at the front end...

I'd like to see the real weight when they've got production units. The "we're confident [it] will weigh less than 200lbs" thing doesn't extend confidence to me. (I'm basing this on knowing roughly how much other pop-tops weigh.)

Any idea on the bed dimensions? Not stated, but this photo makes it look like it'd be... cozy... for two people. (A common issue for this kind of camper, but this bed looks to be a more than a little bit narrower than the roof, given the way the roof extends out past the tent.
Wide-Interior.jpeg

campertramper

Is access from the very rear of the vehicle, behind the sport cage?
If so, I could see access being a little more cumbersome with an area that is typically configured for storage or slide out “stuff”.
Interesting concept, though. It’s good to see some competition.

Yes, access is in the trunk area behind the roll bar. In fact the unit had some roll bar mounts. You are right about slideouts presenting new challenges, particularly if you already have your vehicle built. If starting from scratch I could imagine working around that.

campertramper

...that big black tub looks like the hull of a swamp skiff turned upside down. Maybe it's just the lack of taper at the front end...

I agree that it doesn't look as integrated as the ursa minor and is a bit chunky looking on top. If the primary purpose is to sleep more comfortably however, I'm personally willing to make some aesthetic compromises. When I asked about to color they told me that they could make it in white or paint match to any color.

86scotty

Cynic
I expect that it's going to be better in some ways although a streamlined and fully integrated look might not be one of them. I would really love to hear analysis and opinion from someone who has an Ursa minor....

I did have an Ursa Minor and thought about going more in depth above but I haven't seen this on in person so I didn't figure it would do any good.

But, since you asked, Ursa Minor's product is absolutely top notch. The quality, hardware, fit and finish are better than most things I've owned. We loved ours, it was just too small for us. Also, it's really just another RTT in that full-size humans have to play Twister to get in and out of it, necessitating the need for an outdoor ladder, so the interior hatches are really worthless to me at least. The open rear of this one definitely looks like an upgrade there. Ursa Minor is also the only pop top/RTT I've had that I could store all bedding in and still close it without deforming the shell. With the height of this one looks like it definitely has that going for it.

This new one looks like another player in a game with lots and lots of players, but as I said, I'm sure it will sell.

syn0s

Regarding the mattress, the website photos show an Exped Megamat Duo, in either the M or LW configuration. It comes in two sizes: 72" x 41" (M) or 77.5" x 52" (LW), so hopefully that gives some context to the mattress size.

If it's only 41" wide, that is SUPER tight for two individuals. I personally can't do anything lower than 52" wide for myself + my wife. Considering the Ursa Minor is about 48" wide, I'd venture a guess and say that is the M 41" wide Megamat Duo in there...

The nice thing about this vs. the Ursa Minor is the extra overhang over the windshield. If I had to guess, that gives you an extra ~20" or so of length, which means that the roof access "opening" at the rear of the jeep can probably stay "open" 24x7 without fiddling with silly mattress panels (like on the Ursa or GFC). That means in theory, you could wake up and "hop down" off the bed platform to the back of the jeep to dress, use the bathroom, etc. without disturbing your bunk mate.

For a solo adventurer (+ dog(s) ), I could see this as a viable option. Throw in a Goose Gear seat delete/plate to remove both back seats and build a micro-camper interior and it could end up really nice.

I am curious: do they hack off the top of your existing hard top to install this? If so, it seems like a pretty permanent installation option so I can't really see that as a "benefit" over the Ursa...

campertramper

I am curious: do they hack off the top of your existing hard top to install this? If so, it seems like a pretty permanent installation option so I can't really see that as a "benefit" over the Ursa...
Awesome reply! Really great comments about the width that I hadn't noticed or considered. It would be great to get some official numbers from Hatchet. Yes, they hack your original hard top and modify it into this.

NightGlow

I want to answer some of the questions posed in the comments above as I have spent a little time looking at this new Jeep pop-camper option in detail.

1) The idea from Hatchet Overland was for the next evolution in the roof-top tent market. Create something that looks good on the jeep and can be available even when used for a daily driver. The jeep is quieter than a roof-top tent when traveling, cooler inside the jeep in the summer as the camper "nests" and seals over the entire existing hardtop minimizing the solar radiation felt through the factory top and creates extra storage for hard to carry items with a dedicated recessed space for Treads or Maxtracs along with 100-200W of solar. A roof rack track (Yakama or Thule) might be an option in the production units but has not been tested for moving or stationary weight limits to date. As for comparisons to Ursa Minor, the idea from Hatchet Overland was to improve some of the challenges when looking at the RTT and Ursa products. For example, eliminate the ladder with easy access when being used by two people, provide standing room to change clothes and provide a more open useable space when inside the camper, keep the price point in the range of the RTT with required roof racks/mounting brackets by using the factory top and keeping with rear windows/wiper and seals, make the jeep a better daily driver versus a roof rack/RTT, and improve the camping experience by having an easy to use system that was always available and reduce the hassles and time of setting up with a system 1 minute set up, and 2-minute takedown.

2) The bed platform and the nested top of the camper are constructed of a fiberglass composite made in Colorado by the company that makes many of the components for the camping recreation industry and tear-drop trailers. It is then coated with a durable liner product to minimize scratching when going through the trees on the tight trails. As for the comments, it looks like a "big black tub looks like the hull of a swamp skiff turned upside down," it is made of fiberglass, so that I can understand the comparison LOL. See the photos below to see what it looks like in the down position.Hatchet Overland camper.jpegHatchet Overland Camper 2.jpeg

3) Yes - the mattress is the Exped Magemat Duo LW, so it is 78" x 52" (LW) and fits two full-size adults. With the top down, it also allows for the 4-inch mattress with your bedding and pillows, and a 6-inch version is possible depending on the thickness of the bedding.

4) To create the increased space inside the camper, the unit slides forward (received a US Patent for this and other unique features) when deployed and opens a "portal" in the rear of the jeep to allow access from the inside of the jeep. This creates standing room and more interior space than found on units like an Ursa Minor J 30. The camper is not actually mounted to the factory roof but has 6 "hardpoints" attaching the sliding rails and the bed platform directly to factory holes in the jeep "roll cage." When down, the top nests around the factory top, overlapping the front and rear of the jeep top, with the sides resting in the existing rain gutters, and provides additional front to rear and lateral stability along with some noise reduction when driving on and off-road. It also has a full perimeter bulb-type seal to keep out the weather and noise, even though the factor top is intact.

5) The tent is made from a marine-grade fabric develop
ped for the harsh ocean environment but stays very "breathable" to minimize condensation. It has a ten-year color and durability warranty. In addition, the tent has large side windows that open to the top of the tent and under the roof canopy allowing airflow in rainy weather to prevent rain from entering inside. As for warmth, it has been used in sub-40 degree Colorado nights and was comfortable, according to one of the Hatchet Overland founders. As for being cool, the breathable fabric and the insulated top, along with the large window openings, seemed to keep it a few degrees cooler when I was inside at the recent Overland Expo in Loveland, CO, in the 90+ degree heat of the day.

6) The total weight added to the jeep on this pre-production model is in the range of 160-180 pounds based on the proto-type method of fiberglass composite construction. In production, Hatchet Overland will be using a vacuum infusion process that will reduce this weight by another 15-20% so that the total weight of the unit will be at or less than most roof-top tents and needed roof racks on the market today.

I answered these questions based on my personal knowledge of this new Jeep pop-up camper, so please understand that things might change in production with this camper in the future. However, I am here, like the rest of you, to share my knowledge and experience. I hope to be at the Expo Overland West in Flagstaff at the end of the month and see more new and existing products to further my travels in the outdoors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior