New Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rooftop Camper Hits the Market

D

Deleted member 9101

While it's not so etching that would work for me... It pretty neat!

sabjku

Observer
@NightGlow , that was definitely some very useful info. Thank you for providing it.

I'm an Ursa Minor owner, and I absolutely love it, but I do have one minor complaint. The challenge of getting down from the sleeping area through the hatches, whether it's me by myself, or camping with someone else. I've tried to sleep on just one half of the Ursa, keeping the other hatch out, but that's not the safest thing in the world:LOL:. Doing an exterior ladder of some sort and entering from the outside solves that issue, but that takes away from one of the key elements of the Ursa-being able to stand up, stretch, use your laptop on the bedding, change clothes, etc. while still being inside the Jeep. I've often thought it would be nice to have one of the hatch portals to be bigger, where you could leave the smaller one open when sleeping. This would only work when one person is using the Ursa, but if two people are sleeping in the Ursa both people need to wake up anyway for one to get down during the night, or in the morning. With that said, I would be very curious to see how much room is offered in the opening at the rear of this system. I don't honestly see it being that useful because most of us have a fridge, and a bunch of other gear stored in the very rear of our Jeeps, so there would be very little room, if any, to stand and move about. The portal opening on the Ursa is at least away from all of that and provides plenty of room to comfortably change clothes.

The other thing I'd like to see available from Ursa Minor for the J30 is some sort of a rainfly over the windows. I voiced this in the Ursa FB group as well. When it rains hard, all windows basically need to be fully zipped up, unlike with conventional RTT's where the awnings over the windows manage to keep the inside dry so you can keep the windows open and not feel completely enclosed. This would be a GREAT accessory for the J30, or built into the design down the road! I also see this being an issue with the Hatchet as well since there are no awnings.

Outside of that, the Hatchet looks, let's say, interesting! Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the style of it. The Ursa wins hands down in that category as it looks almost as if it could be a factory, Mopar option. Plus, the quality of the Ursa is 100% first rate. If you haven't seen one in person, check one out when you have the opportunity. You will not be disappointed. With all of that said, I still think the Hatchet has a market. It's a competitor, and I'm sure there will be some that will choose it over the Ursa.

campertramper

Thank you @sabjku - hearing from an Ursa minor owner is really valuable to establish a legitimate comparison in my opinion. I agree with you about how the Ursa minor integration looks nearly perfect. Do you know if the Exped Magemat Duo LW, 78" x 52" (LW) would fit in an Ursa Minor? Since you enter/exit from the outside I could see it working while providing a thicker mattress.

NightGlow

@NightGlow , that was definitely some very useful info. Thank you for providing it.

I'm an Ursa Minor owner, and I absolutely love it, but I do have one minor complaint. The challenge of getting down from the sleeping area through the hatches, whether it's me by myself, or camping with someone else. I've tried to sleep on just one half of the Ursa, keeping the other hatch out, but that's not the safest thing in the world:LOL:. Doing an exterior ladder of some sort and entering from the outside solves that issue, but that takes away from one of the key elements of the Ursa-being able to stand up, stretch, use your laptop on the bedding, change clothes, etc. while still being inside the Jeep. I've often thought it would be nice to have one of the hatch portals to be bigger, where you could leave the smaller one open when sleeping. This would only work when one person is using the Ursa, but if two people are sleeping in the Ursa both people need to wake up anyway for one to get down during the night, or in the morning. With that said, I would be very curious to see how much room is offered in the opening at the rear of this system. I don't honestly see it being that useful because most of us have a fridge, and a bunch of other gear stored in the very rear of our Jeeps, so there would be very little room, if any, to stand and move about. The portal opening on the Ursa is at least away from all of that and provides plenty of room to comfortably change clothes.

The other thing I'd like to see available from Ursa Minor for the J30 is some sort of a rainfly over the windows. I voiced this in the Ursa FB group as well. When it rains hard, all windows basically need to be fully zipped up, unlike with conventional RTT's where the awnings over the windows manage to keep the inside dry so you can keep the windows open and not feel completely enclosed. This would be a GREAT accessory for the J30, or built into the design down the road! I also see this being an issue with the Hatchet as well since there are no awnings.

Outside of that, the Hatchet looks, let's say, interesting! Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the style of it. The Ursa wins hands down in that category as it looks almost as if it could be a factory, Mopar option. Plus, the quality of the Ursa is 100% first rate. If you haven't seen one in person, check one out when you have the opportunity. You will not be disappointed. With all of that said, I still think the Hatchet has a market. It's a competitor, and I'm sure there will be some that will choose it over the Ursa.

Thank you @sabjku for your comments. I think John has done a great job with the J30 so I am glad to hear that you love it but you pay a premium for his offering As I said, the Hatchet Overland camper is more geared towards Overlanders and Adventurers who want to upgrade from their RTT with a more economical option. A comparable J30 with the rear windows, wiper, solar, lighting, etc. I believe is significantly more expensive. The Hatchet Overland camper also provides an easier way to enter and leave via the rear without a hatchet to deal with, standing room for two people, and room for more comfortable mattress options. Again, I understand why people compare it to the J30, but I believe that innovation and purchasing options are great for our industry and consumers alike.

campertramper

the Hatchet Overland camper is more geared towards Overlanders and Adventurers who want to upgrade from their RTT with a more economical option.
Well, the Hatchet is 8k but it's not yet clear from the website what that includes. Does it include the mattress, solar/battery setup or lighting? Can you (or someone) break down the numbers for equivalent offerings from both companies? I recognize that my question may be premature....

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
The hatch entrance behind the roll bar is a total non-starter - that kills the entire rear kitchen/cargo area. How are you supposed to get into it? Enter in the rear gate? How close the glass and gate? So does even more cargo have to be lost to allow one to get via the door then crawl in to the back and up???

Entering amidships, while not ideal, allows double use (keep one / partial seat / allow passengers)...and most importantly, close the door!

Using a ladder completely negates the purpose of replacing the top with an Ursa or similar.

There are going to be comprises and shifting in a small platform like a JKU...the above however, makes this thing a non-starter. Too bad, it would be nice to have a solid Ursa alternative.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

campertramper

The hatch entrance behind the roll bar is a total non-starter - that kills the entire rear kitchen/cargo area. How are you supposed to get into it?
I think that this is a "think different" moment. With this approach kitchen location (especially for a permanent install) will need to be rethought. Maybe a removable kitchen or in a rear seat delete space?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The hatch entrance behind the roll bar is a total non-starter - that kills the entire rear kitchen/cargo area. How are you supposed to get into it? Enter in the rear gate? How close the glass and gate? So does even more cargo have to be lost to allow one to get via the door then crawl in to the back and up???

An interior layout like either Justin Pitcairn's "Goose Gear 60% delete + Ursa" or Dan Grec's Africa Ursa would easily work with the Hatchet's open rear area. Both Justin and Dan enter via the rear doors and close door/glass from the inside without much trouble, as far as I know.

In fact, locating a cabinet right at the rear door could even give you a built-in set of "steps" to make moving up onto the rear bed easier, if laid out just-so.

sabjku

Observer

Entering amidships, while not ideal, allows double use (keep one / partial seat / allow passengers)...and most importantly, close the door!

Using a ladder completely negates the purpose of replacing the top with an Ursa or similar.

There are going to be comprises and shifting in a small platform like a JKU...the above however, makes this thing a non-starter. Too bad, it would be nice to have a solid Ursa alternative.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

These are exactly my thoughts. It would be next to impossible to enter the Hatchet from the very rear of the Jeep unless it were completely empty, unless I'm missing something. Just about everyone I know has their kitchen and storage setup back there, including myself. I also have a complete Goose Gear system installed, with side cubbies. This doesn't help with entering the hatchet either, again, unless you make a decision to leave the back of your Jeep completely empty. I'm not seeing this being practical, but again, maybe I'm missing something.

sabjku

Observer
Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but since we're discussing an Ursa alternative, has anyone seen this hardtop replacement for the JL's? I saw one in person this past weekend at Expo East. It was actually pretty decent looking, style wise. Fit seemed to be decent as well. The overall quality of it definitely was not on the same level as a J30, and I'm not saying that because I own one, I'm saying it because I saw it in person and could easily compare them. I wouldn't trust putting load bars and any accessories up on top of this top. Just didn't seem very sturdy from that perspective.

Again, not trying to hi-jack but thought this was an interesting option.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'd want to test it for fit before committing. Ursa Minor uses a 6-bar hinge (like a VW Westfalia pop-top), so you get extra overhead room at the foot-end. That Alibaba unit just has a simple hinge, so your feet will hit the ceiling if you're as tall as the bed is long.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but since we're discussing an Ursa alternative, has anyone seen this hardtop replacement for the JL's? I saw one in person this past weekend at Expo East. It was actually pretty decent looking, style wise. Fit seemed to be decent as well. The overall quality of it definitely was not on the same level as a J30, and I'm not saying that because I own one, I'm saying it because I saw it in person and could easily compare them. I wouldn't trust putting load bars and any accessories up on top of this top. Just didn't seem very sturdy from that perspective.

Again, not trying to hi-jack but thought this was an interesting option.

Who was the vendor/distributor for this product? I like that there are 3 options now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior