New Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rooftop Camper Hits the Market

InVinoVeritas

That means in theory, you could wake up and "hop down" off the bed platform to the back of the jeep to dress, use the bathroom, etc. without disturbing your bunk mate.
Yep. This and the mattress system were the deciding factors for me over the UM. For me, getting out of the unit is about as easy as getting off a cot and out of a tent. Closing the tailgate is louder than a tent zipper, but that's a trade-off my wife and I can live with.

sabjku

Observer
@InVinoVeritas, congrats on getting your top! Looks great on your rig!

Out of curiosity, do you travel with a refrigerator, or any sort of kitchen setup in the rear of your Jeep? For those of us that do, does that mean you just can't stand up in that rear section as the top is designed to do? Would you use ladder access from the side at that point?

And is the top designed to enter the sleeping quarters from the rear after opening the tail gate? If so, I'm just wondering how that works as far as closing the tailgate after you're in, and then actually opening it from the inside when you want to get out. Sorry for all the questions!

InVinoVeritas

@InVinoVeritas, congrats on getting your top! Looks great on your rig!

Out of curiosity, do you travel with a refrigerator, or any sort of kitchen setup in the rear of your Jeep? For those of us that do, does that mean you just can't stand up in that rear section as the top is designed to do? Would you use ladder access from the side at that point?

And is the top designed to enter the sleeping quarters from the rear after opening the tail gate? If so, I'm just wondering how that works as far as closing the tailgate after you're in, and then actually opening it from the inside when you want to get out. Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks. All good questions!

Yes, We travel with an ARB refrigerator and a kitchen and pantry which we pack in a couple of Zarges boxes. At camp the boxes come out and there is plenty of room to stand in the rear of the vehicle to enter and exit the camper. Honestly, removing just one of the boxes would be sufficient as we have wood attached to the top of the boxes that makes them plenty strong to stand on. The Hatchet would not work if you have both a refrigerator and permanent shelving in the back. You need about two square feet in the back to stand when you want to enter or exit the camper.

Yes, the top is designed to enter the sleeping quarters from the rear after opening the tailgate. Closing the tailgate is pretty easy as Hatchet configures the tailgate with a strap that velcros in place when you aren't using it to pull the gate closed. Closing the gate takes less time than zipping up a tent door.

Opening the tailgate is easy. The tailgate is fitted with a strap which unlatches the tailgate from inside the vehicle. Pull the strap, and the tailgate opens. If you lock the Jeep, you do need to unlock the vehicle with the key fob. After you do it once or twice, it is about as easy as opening a car door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior