New member hello with 96 LR Disco 5speed!

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
From a gearing standpoint, only the diameter matters, but to answer your question...

265/75/16s on either a 7" Land Rover Alloy or an 8" Pro comp steel wheel w/ stock Disco gearing has been fine even in the Washington Cascades. I have a 4.6 though... w/ the 4.0 it was pretty sluggish.

Craig

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
"From a gearing standpoint, only the diameter matters, but to answer your question..."

Yep, I understand gearing, just wondering which "32s", and hoping maybe someone would surprise me by saying they were running the skinny 235/85 :)

What is the stock gearing in the Discos?

craig said:
From a gearing standpoint, only the diameter matters, but to answer your question...

265/75/16s on either a 7" Land Rover Alloy or an 8" Pro comp steel wheel w/ stock Disco gearing has been fine even in the Washington Cascades. I have a 4.6 though... w/ the 4.0 it was pretty sluggish.

Craig

Last edited:

Green96D1

Explorer
I'm sorry

I'm running the 265/75/16.

aka 32 x 10

i'm thinking of switching to the 235/85/16 as they are easier on the drivetrain

rripatti

Observer
Thanks for the reply Craig!

I was kinda hoping the gas mileage will increase a bit on the freeway with the larger diameter (though i'll be going with the 245/75/16 or 30.5 inch, as my fiance, who is quite short refuses any higher lol) but hopefully it will not be that much worse around town. Right now i get around 17 on the highway and 15 in town.

By the way Craig, i noted in your later post that you said weight (intertia) doesn't matter. Wouldn't you think that both diameter and the actual increased inertia from the additional weight of the tire will affect mpg and acceleration? The 245/75 bfg load e is pretty heavy at 50lbs versus my stock ones at ~30lbs. Thats an 80lb increase allround! :oops:

Fortunately the Disco's have pretty hefty suspension from what i've seen (underneath) so not to worried about durability.

on a different note, I will definitely post detailed descriptions (and before/after pics) as I put the wet okole seats, wheel spacers, 4.6 and tires (in that order) on! Can't wait!!:wings:

craig said:
Gas mileage will increase with the 4.6 and 32a on the freeway, but be lower around town. Once you get them moving, they keep going pretty easy. Definately don't need to regear with 32s. :)

C

rripatti

Observer
Hi Craig,

I just realized you had a 4.6! Awesome! Am i right to assume it has the same power characteristics as the 4.6, just with the power band shifted up by 50hp/50tqe or so?

did you have to switch out the injectors/fuel pump/mass air or did your stock components cope?

Finally, did you tweak your computer with a chip or leave the stock tune? It seems to be a challenge to optimize these infernal Land Rover ecu's :(

thanks for all your input Craig and helping out a novice here!

craig said:

Craig

Gunther MXP

Knobs access

Hi,
I friend of mine that works with land rovers said that the knobs need to be detach from inside, needs first take the seat cover base (see pict.) and slide the cover up so you can have access to knob from inside...
View attachment 12030

Gunther

Gunther MXP

Green96D1 said:
I'm sorry

I'm running the 265/75/16.

aka 32 x 10

i'm thinking of switching to the 235/85/16 as they are easier on the drivetrain

Hi,

Don't forget to mension that you will need to cut the rear wheel fender in order to fit those tires in a stock LR 96D1.

FYI, is really easy.. 1 grinder, 1 file, touch paint and send your significan other away from the garage.. is going to be loud.

Gunther

Green96D1

Explorer
hello

I have trimmed a little. and you were right i did in my friends garage.

my mom wasn't having all that noise:)

rripatti

Observer
hi Gunther, thanks for the tip! i am still waiting for the seat coves but i will post pics of them as soon as they arrive!

Gunther MXP said:
Hi,
I friend of mine that works with land rovers said that the knobs need to be detach from inside, needs first take the seat cover base (see pict.) and slide the cover up so you can have access to knob from inside...
View attachment 12030

Gunther

Gunther MXP

Started as a White 98d1

rripatti said:
hi Gunther, thanks for the tip! i am still waiting for the seat coves but i will post pics of them as soon as they arrive!
Raul,

I also started with a white Disco 98, attached are the upgrades including a color change to Sand Glow LR236...enjoy your project and keep us update with the pictures.
View attachment 12132

Gunther

rripatti

Observer
Hi Gunther!

That is simply outstanding! The whole reason I became a super fan of the discovery was watching all the camel trophies and the sheer capability of man and machine when faced with those incredible obstacles! do you have a link per chance showing your buildup?

If I may ask, how did you go from a white discovery to deciding to modify it to the way it exists today? either way, simply one heck of an amazing rig you have!

cheers,
Raul

:jumping:

Gunther MXP said:
Raul,

I also started with a white Disco 98, attached are the upgrades including a color change to Sand Glow LR236...enjoy your project and keep us update with the pictures.
View attachment 12132

Gunther

Gunther MXP

Camel throfy fanatic

Raul,

Also I am a Camel Trophy fan, specially the Mundo Maya 95, I just returned from Belize and Guatemala border with two D1's (I have 2 and an my friend James has 1 more) all identical.
In San Isidro Belize we hired a guide so we can explore different routes in the Belize jungle, to my surprise when I ask him if he likes Land Rover he replied” I was in the Support team for the Mundo Maya Camel trophy and currently I do all the preparation for the Land Rover Experience team for Europe”. That was a nice surprise and we are planning to go back and do 5 days expeditions next year to follow the “Herman Cortez Route” with him.

After the first trip to Guatemala we decide to get more serious about the creation of a real expedition team and follow the Camel trophy concept and that’s why we have 3 D1’s and working in the 4th.
In the next 12 months we will be able to “re-create” the camel Trophy event starting with :
Mundo Maya 95 and later the Atacama Desert Camel Trophy 94. We already have all the logistic and the tech support in Central America for that… we only need 1 more car.

I do not have a buildup information but I can send you a PM will all the parts and links including prices.
You can see more information about us in http://www.mundoxpeditions.com

Gunther

bovw

Explorer
Gunther, I was looking at the galleries on your site, very nice. Where did you get the tail light guards you have on the truck? I really like those and wouldn't mind having a set. Thanks.

Gunther MXP

Rear Light Guards

bovw said:
Gunther, I was looking at the galleries on your site, very nice. Where did you get the tail light guards you have on the truck? I really like those and wouldn't mind having a set. Thanks.

I get almost everything from British pacific http://www.landroverparts.us/landroverparts/Discovery1lampguard.html
There is another type (see picture) that I do not recommend because is secured between the tail light rubber and the body frame of the car, and in the event that the "guard" is pulled from the side it will break the tail light.

Gunther
View attachment 12234

bovw

Explorer
Thanks, I have the factory style with the rubber strip on the side. I like the one you have better, I'll have to get a set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger