New Offroad GPS and Dual Band Radio Installed

Angel?

Adventurer
Hi,

Woohoo! :wings:

I just completed the installation of a Lowrance 540c Baja GPS and a Kenwood TM-D710A dual band 2 meter / 70 centimeter amateur radio into my 80 Series Landcruiser.

The radio and an automatic turnoff was installed under the driver's seat next to the alarm control. The auto turnoff is set to 10 minutes after the vehicle is turned off. The radio is mounted on top of 1/2 inch channel aluminum rails I fabbed to allow the radio to air cool, and to keep the radio dry from boot snow melt / etc.

To hold the GPS display, radio faceplate, and mic, I used a RAM mount system configured similar to a setup to hold a laptop. (I can substitute a laptop mount for the GPS/radio/mic unit.) As there is no standard RAM mounting base for this vehicle, I had one fabbed by a local shop based on a self design developed after studying standard RAM vehicle mount bases for other vehicles. Also, as there was no standard RAM bracket to hold the GPS display, radio faceplate and mic, I fabbed one myself from 2 1/2 inch angle aluminum.

I worked hard to keep the setup visually clean, and believe that goal was accomplished. I also find the setup very functional, allowing me great access to and visability of all controls, as well as my coffee! :coffeedrink:

Some pics of the setup follow.

Cheers,
Cal

Under-seat radio install from the driver's side, rear, and passenger side views:
View attachment 12020 View attachment 12021 View attachment 12022

RAM mount base:
View attachment 12023

Front and side views of the GPS, radio, and mic:
View attachment 12024 View attachment 12027 View attachment 12028

And the antennas:
View attachment 12031 View attachment 12032

Cabrito

I come in Peace
That is a awesome set up. I need to check out those RAM mounts. You should check into the Expo ham net every other Tuesday.

Angel?

Adventurer
Cabrito said:
That is a awesome set up. ... You should check into the Expo ham net every other Tuesday.

Thanks!

I would like to ... and still sorting out use of the radio, and how to access the Expo net from it ...

Angel?

Adventurer
SOCALFJ said:
Looks good. Right at eye level.

Thanks. It was your install of the 540c GPS and radio using RAM mounts that inspired my setup. Thanks for your posting of the installs with pics!

WildHare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179