New product from Proud Rhino! The SYA Off Road Extension Kit

techniq808

... By requesting access mode the computer thinks that the sensor should rotate to a value in range for access height, lets call that -60. With the spacers your only going to -40. The computer says no wait I am expecting at least -20 more, bing bong, obstruction, and into extended mode. ...

I'm a little confused by what you are saying b/c as Lucky8 states the spacer does not adjust affect the height. Therefore, the height sensor should only be affect by the rods. The spacers are only affecting the strut length. And if I'm not mistaken ppl with just rods have no problem going to access height?

A stock LR3 at normal height as a strut length of X (say for the front). Add spacers and it's X-2", but the sensor is unmodified and therefore "normal" remains unchanged. Now add 2.5" rods and the strut is X+0.5". This is supposed to be one of the major benefits. But maybe this is where the problem is. Not with the spacer itself but the 0.5" offset it creates? Is it a value the EAS ECU doesn't understand?
Honestly I'm just throwing darts at it as I try to reason it in my head - avoiding a bunch of trial and error testing in the driveway. :drool:

Maybe the angle of the spacer is incorrect?

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
I'm a little confused by what you are saying b/c as Lucky8 states the spacer does not adjust affect the height. Therefore, the height sensor should only be affect by the rods. The spacers are only affecting the strut length. And if I'm not mistaken ppl with just rods have no problem going to access height?

A stock LR3 at normal height as a strut length of X (say for the front). Add spacers and it's X-2", but the sensor is unmodified and therefore "normal" remains unchanged. Now add 2.5" rods and the strut is X+0.5". This is supposed to be one of the major benefits. But maybe this is where the problem is. Not with the spacer itself but the 0.5" offset it creates? Is it a value the EAS ECU doesn't understand?
Honestly I'm just throwing darts at it as I try to reason it in my head - avoiding a bunch of trial and error testing in the driveway. :drool:

Maybe the angle of the spacer is incorrect?

While the ride height of the truck is not increased, the height of the bump stop is physically lower. This new bump stop height is near or at the access height when running stock rods with no programmed offset. When you lower it hits the bump stops but the sensor values still want to send the truck lower to the expected value in the sensor for access height. When you run rods you end up changing the relationship of the upper a-arm to the sensor, raising the truck. This also changes what off road height and access mode heights are. Running rods changes this relationship. Changing the height values in the computer can do the same thing but eventually you will run out of good values the sensor can output causing other types of faults. The small +.5" you mention should not be a problem.

Here is another way to look at it. I am oversimplifying but I think the premise is sound. For no computer offsets programmed the following should be correct. The ride height sensor has a lever arm that attaches to the rod. In Normal height that arm will always be parallel to the ground. In off road height that arm will rotate down say 20 degrees. In access mode it rotates up 20 degrees. With the spacers installed it cannot rotate up 20 degrees because you hit the bump stop and only goes up by 10 degrees. An obstruction is detected and extended mode is requested to clear the obstruction. So with rods that get it back to parallel all should be good. Now, what I think others have found is that it does not always seem to work and perhaps the addition and angle of the spacer contribute to the problem.

A couple of guys in our club ran ToddCo spacers years ago and had similar problem.

techniq808

OK so when you say, "it hits the bump stops" you're referring to the strut length and the EASs ability to detect that length by the air pressure/volume in the bag.

So the correct solution is to use IIDTool to modify the access height setting to be just a few mm higher than what's considered "bump stops"? Is that even possible to change a single height option? Or does the IIDTool just change the offset for all height options?

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
OK so when you say, "it hits the bump stops" you're referring to the strut length and the EASs ability to detect that length by the air pressure/volume in the bag.

So the correct solution is to use IIDTool to modify the access height setting to be just a few mm higher than what's considered "bump stops"? Is that even possible to change a single height option? Or does the IIDTool just change the offset for all height options?

No, I think it literally hits the bump stops or binds in the strut. With the two inch lift of the spacers you need 2 inches or more of rod or software lift. I think the rod lift is the better way to go to avoid out of range faults in the sensors.

techniq808

You mean 2" more than the 2.5" I already have from my rods? If so that would defeat one of the purposes of the spacers...hmm.

Eniam17

Adventurer
Any updates from any of you that have been using this kit for a while? It still sounds interesting to me, but sounds like a lot of hassle if you don't absolutely require 32/33" tires. is that an accurate statement ?

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I have had it for over a year now. It has saved my but a few times on the trails and they help keep the oversized tires off the body work when it is flexing. I somehow managed to break a front retain strap. I think the broken sway bar link jammed up and bent the bracket. It was an easy fix and i did not even need to pull the tire off.
With all the abuse the L8 D3 sees I'm very happy with the kit.

If you have any specific questions Ill do my best to answer.

perkj

Explorer
I have had it for over a year now. It has saved my but a few times on the trails and they help keep the oversized tires off the body work when it is flexing. I somehow managed to break a front retain strap. I think the broken sway bar link jammed up and bent the bracket. It was an easy fix and i did not even need to pull the tire off.
With all the abuse the L8 D3 sees I'm very happy with the kit.

If you have any specific questions Ill do my best to answer.

Have you been able to get the L8 D3 into access mode with the Rhino Kit on with the D3 thinking its hit an obstacle and go into extended mode? Seems like everyone who has installed it is having this problem.

Last edited:

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I don't have a good answer for this.
The sway bars have bent my hight sensor brackets and I did my best to put them back but I can not get them spot on and the truck is always a tad unhappy. Ill try it in a bit and report back. We have the truck on the lift right now getting ready for scarr

perkj

Explorer
I don't have a good answer for this.
The sway bars have bent my hight sensor brackets and I did my best to put them back but I can not get them spot on and the truck is always a tad unhappy. Ill try it in a bit and report back. We have the truck on the lift right now getting ready for scarr

thanks. for a number of us access height is needed to get the D3 in our garage with big tires and roof racks so its a bit of a show stopper if there is no solution for this.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I understand. I wonder if we could do a run of these a little shorter to help with access mode. Let me ask the PR team.

zelatore

Explorer
I'm highly interested in a cheaper 1 inch kit. I just want to be able to get home on 32" tires and snow chains if it drops to bump stops.

It will take more than just spacers to accommodate chains. You need clearance to the inside of the tire unless you run the funky (and expensive) factory style chains.

Even with a 1" spacer I'm not sure you'll have fender clearance for a 32" tire w/chains.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
It will take more than just spacers to accommodate chains. You need clearance to the inside of the tire unless you run the funky (and expensive) factory style chains.

Even with a 1" spacer I'm not sure you'll have fender clearance for a 32" tire w/chains.

They're actually slightly less than 32 and I can fix the inside tire clearance issue.

While the 2" kit is for 33s+, a 1" spacer kit would be great for 31-32s.

zelatore

Explorer
I understand. I wonder if we could do a run of these a little shorter to help with access mode. Let me ask the PR team.

Glad to see you guys are back. Hope the new website is coming along.

Have you looked into the limit straps on the kit? That was one of the main issues several of us had with it. I also like the idea of perhaps a little shorter version - I don't think I need the full 2" even with my 33s.

BTW - wanna do something nobody else is doing? How about gears for these difs? With the tires I'm running now I could REALLY use a re-gear but I don't think anybody sells a steeper gear for these things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears