New project ! 2006 GMC 5500 4x4 Top Kick

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
After building several other adventure vehicles over the years for our family it was time to come up with one that will let travel with more interior space and payload.
Let me introduce the 2006 GMC 5500 4x4 Top Kick .

At this point we are planing for a 16’ Total Composites camper body and a Subframe from Durance Design .

Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks.
09E11C08-CCBE-491E-9F2F-2D0A2F8A9FFF.jpeg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The BEST platform to build on!
Not that I am biased :rolleyes:

1st hot tip. Find a used factory battery box (like under your passenger door) and install it under the passenger side second door. It will give you space for 3 more 'house batteries', and there is room for one or two more in the factory location (depending on if you have 1 or 2 factory batteries). So all your batteries are close together and a good locate for 'CG", along with super easy access. The panel inside the rear door behind its own door is a great place to mount the switching gear.

C4500-BATTERY-TRAY-BRACKET.jpg

Too bad it is a Top Kick or you could have join the Canadian version of the Kodiak Klub® ;)

KODIAK-KLUB.jpg

Last edited:

Victorian

The BEST platform to build on!
Not that I am biased :rolleyes:

1st hot tip. Find a used factory battery box (like under your passenger door) and install it under the passenger side second door. It will give you space for 3 more 'house batteries', and there is room for one or two more in the factory location (depending on if you have 1 or 2 factory batteries). So all your batteries are close together and a good locate for 'CG", along with super easy access. The panel inside the rear door behind its own door is a great place to mount the switching gear.

View attachment 792518

Too bad it is a Top Kick or you could have join the Canadian version of the Kodiak Klub® ;)

View attachment 792520
Lol thanks for the tip!
Need to take inventory of everything the next week or so, get some maintenance done then full steam ahead!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Need to take inventory of everything the next week or so, get some maintenance done then full steam ahead!
If you send your VIN number to socialmedia@gm.com and request a "Build Sheet" they will send you all the options your truck was built with.
It will look something like this"
vi.jpg

And from the Build Builder Manual as far as recommend bed lengths. (With a 194" WB, I maxed out at 12 foot)
bb7.png

Last edited:

Victorian

If you send your VIN number to socialmedia@gm.com and request a "Build Sheet" they will send you all the options your truck was built with.
It will look something like this"
View attachment 792679

And from the Build Builder Manual as far as recommend bed lengths. (With a 194" WB, I maxed out at 12 foot)
View attachment 792681
Amazing! Thank you so much.
Ours has the 235" WB. Allows for a 18' box.... The most sensible size would be 16'.

Last edited:
Reactions: mog

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
2nd hot tip. If you need/want greater fuel capacity (for reference, I have the 36g-D/40g-G aft of the rear axle fuel tank), a 55/60 gallon side fuel tank (either right or left) from an International 4440

4440.png

will fit between the frame rail right behind the cab (above the driveshaft)

aux fuel.jpg

with plenty of room to spare for filler hose routing and lots of clearance from the driveshaft. I think it is a great location as it protects the tank from side impact (vehicular or terrain), has tons of ground clearance (you would destroy your driveshaft before hitting the tank), and is great for CG. Be advised some of those tanks have a step stamped into the tank, so avoid those as you lose capacity. I am sure other tanks will work, but there seem to be tons of these International tanks out there so pretty cheap (I paid $200 USD and was able to pick up)

Last edited:

Victorian

2nd hot tip. If you need/want greater fuel capacity (for reference, I have the 36g-D/40g-G aft of the rear axle fuel tank), a 55/60 gallon side fuel tank (either right or left) from an International 4440

View attachment 792840

will fit between the frame rail right behind the cab (above the driveshaft)

View attachment 792877

with plenty of room to spare for filler hose routing and lots of clearance from the driveshaft. I think it is a great location as it protects the tank from side impact (vehicular or terrain), has tons of ground clearance (you would destroy your driveshaft before hitting the tank), and is great for CG. Be advised some of those tanks have a step stamped into the tank, so avoid those as you lose capacity. I am sure other tanks will work, but there seem to be tons of these International tanks out there so pretty cheap (I paid $200 USD and was able to pick up)

Keep it coming :) Much much appreciated!

I reached out to GM for the documents. Here is what they wrote back:

As of November 2021, we are no longer able to provide this information. However, you can purchase a copy of the vehicle invoice (documentation of the vehicle cost broken out by model and factory options) by visiting www.gmmediaarchive.com Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

I reached out... will see what they say.

Working with a local shop to get all the brake lines and fuel lines looked after.... They all have heavy corrossion.... Had one brakeline blow up on me last week...

ITTOG

After building several other adventure vehicles over the years for our family it was time to come up with one that will let travel with more interior space and payload.
Let me introduce the 2006 GMC 5500 4x4 Top Kick .

At this point we are planing for a 16’ Total Composites camper body and a Subframe from Durance Design .

Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks.
View attachment 792515
Awesome. I love the looks of these and the Kodiak's. If I were to build this is the platform I would choose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior