New Rear End

Pappa John

Observer
I went to the dealership yesterday to get the driver side seal on the rear axle replaced under warranty. Ther passenger side was replaced in July '08 with 32,000 on the odometer. The truck is now at 52,500.

I pick the truck up at 1:00 and go on my merry way. At 5:00 I notice the smell of gear oil. I look at the axle and sure enough the seal is leaking again. I go back to the dealership and the head mechanic takes one look and says, "You're gettin' a new axle." All I could say was "Ok," and "This is covered under warranty right?"

I'm just glad it happend at 52,500 miles and not 62,500.

:wings:

AlabamaWill

Observer
This is not sounding good for me, my driver side axle seal is leaking too and have 98000mi on it. Nissan wants $425 to fix it.

AlabamaWill

Observer
Nissan said that they would have to cut something off the axle in order to get to the bearing and seal. I have a dana rear axle with locker, I think

Last edited:

Pappa John

Observer
Did they say what they were going to cut off? The dealership here said it was a very straight forward procedure with unbolting and bolting back up. All of the literature I found on the internet never mentioned cutting.

I could be wrong, but it looks like you unbolt the wheel, take off the brake assembly and the backing plate. The seal and bearing should be right there. Most sites used a bearing puller, but one site stated since the bearing and spacer are trashed already just knock a flat head screw driver in between the housing and the seal with a hammer and pry it out.

The sites that used pullers said you can use the old seal to drive teh new one into place so you don't damage it with the hammer.

Every site said allow at least 3 hours and be sure to use either a plastic mallet or a leather mallet. I have never heard of a leather mallet.

Good luck with either way you go!

AlabamaWill

Observer
Ok, I will be visiting new dealers to find a better price. Maybe Ill just drive it back home and have my mechanic do it, he wants $250. It just suck that Im in Houston Tx and my mechanic is in Decatur AL.

mcm4090

Explorer
Also in the rear differential vent is clogged that would blow your seals out. You want to put an extension on it.

mcm4090

Explorer
You can pry cap from vent or purchase new nipple-type fitting. Fit a small hose over the breather and run the hose up high like behind the tail light assembly.

Pappa John

Observer
I got my new axle yesterday, and it looks great! I asked what the grand total would have been and the service advisor said $3500 to purchase, not including shipping and install. Gotta love warranties!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior