New RV from Kym Bolton

haven

Expedition Leader
More information here
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83227-TravelTrucks-new-outfitter-in-Australia

This brings up a point we need to discuss. The TravelTrucks camper uses an Iveco Daily 4x4, which is why I posted about it in the "Other Expedition Campers" section. Should we care about trying to keep this section limited to discussion of Fuso and Isuzu vehicles? Or should we reorganize the Expedition Campers section into "heavy" "medium" and "light" truck categories, independent of chassis? This would mean leaving behind the pop-up vs fixed-side camper distinction, as well. Comments?

Jfet

Adventurer
Some of the accessories are a tad expensive. $395 for an extra Anderson Plug for solar panels. Hope that is gold plated.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Should we care about trying to keep this section limited to discussion of Fuso and Isuzu vehicles? Or should we reorganize the Expedition Campers section into "heavy" "medium" and "light" truck categories, independent of chassis?
Personally, I do not see that much difference between the Fuso, Isuzu and Iveco 4x4 trucks when it comes to the base vehicle for an expedition camper of this size.
I do not know if fixed sided or pop-top should be the defining feature.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Some of the accessories are a tad expensive. $395 for an extra Anderson Plug for solar panels. Hope that is gold plated.

The front LSD they offer for the Fuso is nearly twice the price of similar diffs others offer. As you say, maybe their equipment is gold plated.

Rumpig

Adventurer
they had one of those TravelTrucks on display at the Brisbane Caravan and Camping Expo last week. I asked someone who went to the show what he thought of the set up and made the comment about how many times you'd whack your head on that door way coming in and out.....his response to that was "twice"..."once on the way in and again on the way out"

bptp7270

Adventurer
I had a good look at the trucks at the Brisbane show and I thought they were both very impressive vehicles. They have put a lot of thought into building something simple that works. I thought that it had plenty of room for 2 people and yet it is a compact truck outside. Having a similar entry on my camper I didn't think the door was an issue at all and I'm 6'2''. Plus they really look the goods outside.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Very nice.
It is always great to see more options even if they are not available in the US.
The Aussies sure are an inspiration to the rest of us.
-
-
-

This brings up a point we need to discuss. The TravelTrucks camper uses an Iveco Daily 4x4, which is why I posted about it in the "Other Expedition Campers" section. Should we care about trying to keep this section limited to discussion of Fuso and Isuzu vehicles? Or should we reorganize the Expedition Campers section into "heavy" "medium" and "light" truck categories, independent of chassis? This would mean leaving behind the pop-up vs fixed-side camper distinction, as well. Comments?

I'd keep it simple and just add Iveco to the header with Mitsubishi and Isuzu.
We kind of all flock together, regardless of vehicle weight.
-
-
-

The front LSD they offer for the Fuso is nearly twice the price of similar diffs others offer. As you say, maybe their equipment is gold plated.
I think it is more the 'limited edition' (I'm being very tactful there) of the 'Fuso' unit.
In the US, most Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing-Differentials can be had in the $600-$800 range. But the QDH20B is NOT sold by any vendor other then two that have that $2k price :(
I've checked with my contact in Germany (they have connections world wide) and England (were Quaife is manufactured) and all BUT the QDH20B can be had in the $1000-$1100 USD range (good-guy price). They can get the QDH20B shipped out of Australia but NOT to the US.
I'd loved to have one in the $600-$800 range, would be happy in the $1000 range, but the $2000 is too rich for me.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
But the QDH20B is NOT sold by any vendor other then two that have that $2k price :(
When I initially inquired, the Fuso front diff from Kim Bolton was over $4K. Yes, $2K is steep, but $4K is pushing the profit margin a bit far, me thinks...

daniel ruops

Adventurer
Mr. Frenchman
A pleasure to hear from you. Yes we are getting out as often as possible. At some point a Expedition Portal member will notice that there has not been too much activity around our AATREC when camping in a remote location and find that we died of old age and are inside the overland RV, dead, rotting, mummified or possibly frozen. Having this happen would be preferred over going out in a convalescent home.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I think it is more the 'limited edition' (I'm being very tactful there) of the 'Fuso' unit.
In the US, most Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing-Differentials can be had in the $600-$800 range. But the QDH20B is NOT sold by any vendor other then two that have that $2k price :(
I've checked with my contact in Germany (they have connections world wide) and England (were Quaife is manufactured) and all BUT the QDH20B can be had in the $1000-$1100 USD range (good-guy price). They can get the QDH20B shipped out of Australia but NOT to the US.
I'd loved to have one in the $600-$800 range, would be happy in the $1000 range, but the $2000 is too rich for me.

Hi Mog,

Not my intention to take us off track.....only to respond to the above.

Yes, of course the "limited edition" has a great deal to do with pricing. The number of ATB diffs sold for the FUSO is a tiny fraction of what would normally be sold for most other vehicle types......and of course development costs have to be covered over smaller numbers. ATW is the only on-seller of the exact diff you mention and has made a commitment to that manufacturer which has led to the development of these specific diffs....otherwise they would never have been developed to begin with.

FYI Other diffs to suit the FUSO front axle that are currently on the market are made by others.

BTW I knew about that German enquiry. Small world isn't it?

Kind regards
John

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Mr. Frenchman
A pleasure to hear from you. Yes we are getting out as often as possible. At some point a Expedition Portal member will notice that there has not been too much activity around our AATREC when camping in a remote location and find that we died of old age and are inside the overland RV, dead, rotting, mummified or possibly frozen. Having this happen would be preferred over going out in a convalescent home.

Hahaha. Dan....my day always looks up after reading your posts. Take care mate. Regards John.

alan

Explorer
As John has said it's a very small market for this LSD and they are not an off the shelve item, we have to have them made in batches as i'm sure ATW do, for $2000 it's a good deal in my opinion.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Variation on a Theme

Encountered a custom designed camper at the Painted Desert. It was designed by the owners and custom built by Cartier. http://www.3ccartier.com Possibly an "X-Cap" variant.

Interesting notes:

-- Ducted air conditioning
-- Bunk beds.
-- Gorgeous "Hardfenster" German glass windows.
-- Finish work was very nice.
-- Rigid, not pivot mount of the camper.

The owner commented that he had had to import new tires as he could not find them in the US and that, with the height and narrow tires, it suffered from wind buffeting from big trucks and during the gales that we encountered at the Painted Desert.

Cartier Camper  0001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior