New-to-Me '04 Disco II

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
But if that's not the case and nothing at all works it's probably the "rotary coupler". Hopefully that's the part she gave you.

Not a rotary coupler. Appears to be the electrical leads to the horn. (Basically https://c7743.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/Images/large/RNE954.jpg without the button piece). A working horn would have come in handy yesterday when I was cut off...however the cruise is more crucial. Would Fuse 13 (has a horn logo) be a possible cause or is this rotary coupler and nothing else?

Daryl

Adventurer
Not a rotary coupler. Appears to be the electrical leads to the horn. (Basically https://c7743.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/Images/large/RNE954.jpg without the button piece). A working horn would have come in handy yesterday when I was cut off...however the cruise is more crucial. Would Fuse 13 (has a horn logo) be a possible cause or is this rotary coupler and nothing else?

I definitely wouldn't say "or nothing else" but the rotary coupler is a common issue for this type of thing. But definitely check/replace the fuse first....it can't hurt.

You can look up the appropriate wires before and after the rotary coupler to test in the electrical library (one of the books at the service manual link) to confirm it's the problem rather than just throwing parts at it.

spikemd

Explorer
Nice looking disco. RTE (Rovertym) makes some nice springs as well. They are tailored to trucks with bumpers and armour. Once you go over a 2 inch lift you start dealing with suspension geometry issues that becomes costly quickly.

Enjoy her and get her offroad. All rovers look better dirty.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Nice looking disco. RTE (Rovertym) makes some nice springs as well. They are tailored to trucks with bumpers and armour. Once you go over a 2 inch lift you start dealing with suspension geometry issues that becomes costly quickly.

Enjoy her and get her offroad. All rovers look better dirty.

Thanks for the advice - and yes I'm only going 2". Originally was going to go medium duty, but now that I'm thinking about all of the additional weight, I may go HD. Bumpers, roof rack, shelves and refrigerator alone will add a good amount of weight.

The RTE springs are more $ than I found the OME package to be - are they worth $75 more in their value to the Disco? I don't mind spending more if there's an appreciable difference.

Speaking of refrigerators - I've already removed the back seats and have begun measuring for a drawer/sleeping area setup. I want the drawers to fit flush to the fridge, utilizing the top of the fridge for part of the bed platform. My hope was to fit one behind the front seats in the tunnel for passengers' feet. This is more narrow than I'd hoped - 9" with the seats all the way back and it's already a tight squeeze legroom wise for the gf and I.

Are there any narrow refrigerators out there? All the engels/arbs/etc that I've found (even 43q) are about 14" wide. Love the pricepoint of some cheapos on Amazon but the reviews all talk about noise and the goal is to be sleeping on these. If I can't use the footwells, I'm concerned about how much more space this luxury will take up.

Thanks for your time and sorry for 1000 different topics at once.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I went with the HD OME springs on the front of mine (I have SLS rear) and I am so glad I did. I've got a roof rack and a TJM bumper now, and I don't think they've noticed at all. They were a thousand times better than the factory springs. It rides much nicer and feels sharper. And they are wonderful off road as well. So if I were you, especially with all the gear you plan to add, I'd go for the HD springs. OME or RTE, it's up to you. I went with OME and I love them.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Well I finally got under the hood yesterday. Sure enough, the horn fuse was blown. I didn't have any fuses sitting around so I just swapped in the AC fuse, walked around the car and honked the horn. It came to life...briefly. Walked back around and the new fuse had blown.

Then I did what I know should not be a permanent fix 99.99% of the time - I plugged in a 15a fuse and tried again - horn worked!

Now here's my question...the PO installed a very nice aftermarket stereo, which at one time included a sub (I found all of the wires hiding beneath the carpet). I assume this is run off of the same fuse (could be wrong - this was just my 10pm logic last night). Could that stereo be too much for this fuse and will using a 15a fuse actually solve my problem? I know just upping a fuse USUALLY is just masking an issue somewhere deep within, but maybe this is actually the 0.01%?

Thanks again!

tombodad

Adventurer
Is there still an aftermarket amplifier wired in as well? Maybe under a seat or something? If not, then he likely had the amp mounted with the sub, and removed both.

I very much doubt the horn has anything to do with the stereo. More likely, you have a small short somewhere which is causing a surge large enough to blow the smaller fuse, but the larger fuse holds it okay. I would be tempted to trace it down and fix it, as electrical fires aren't fun. However, it's probably nothing too big if a 15a holds it.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Unfortunately that's what I was thinking (short) too - just was hoping for an easy out.

And yes, I noticed this weekend a nice amp under the passenger seat. I've never used a bluetooth head unit with my iPhone before - but I love it. No wires, perfect sound. The headunit PO chose is supposed to be the best for iPods/Phones but since I have the 5 it doesnt work directly plugged in. Thanks apple/alpine!

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Early May Update

I'm about halfway done with all of the maintenance now. Next up is a tranny flush (although I stripped out the Allen head on the plug and waiting on a new one from AB) and a power steering flush. Brakes have been bled, coolant flushed, thermostat swapped, oil change done. As of today, an OME suspension is in (779 springs and n107 shocks up front, 762 & n108 in the rear) and a fresh OME steering “stabiliser” has been installed. Thanks to dschreibs for the DII wheels and fatter tires. As soon as I wear them to nubs, I'll grab some 235/85-16 tires.

Below is pre-lift, front lift only, and then the finished product. I gained about 3.5” front left, 3” front right, and 2.5” in the rear. Only the rear right spring had an isolator. I think I may get one for the front right to even the truck out – but I also may wait until the bumper and winch (and roof rack for that matter) are installed to see if I'm closer to level.

Everything I replaced was OEM so I'm guessing they hadn't been changed since the Rover was fresh off the assembly line. The front was clearly much worse off than the rear which isn't surprising. This wasn't more than a mall crawler in its previous life.

20130221-Disco_zps39d0f80c.jpg
20130504-FrontLift_zps23cc014f.jpeg
20130511-Lifted_zps1a5d1711.jpeg

:elkgrin:

Last edited:

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
I love the grey!

Thanks Matt...it's the first grey vehicle I've owned (Bonatti Grey to be exact) and I love it. Doesn't stay super clean after a washing, but it's not nearly as bad as black in that regard.

Random question...what part of Chicago did you come from? I used to think my '93 GMC Jimmy was a capable vehicle in high school as it was able to dominate the most rocky of northern Illinois' "trails."

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
First camping trip (Widespread Panic concert) setup:
001-DiscoSetup_zpsbd3b22be.jpg
Preparing for a storm coming:
092-Storm_zps4d799abb.jpg

Sleeping platform worked great - fit a full size air mattress. Refrigerator kept the meats cold and the cooler worked well for the booze. The SUV tent worked surprisingly well (I had a pickup tent by Napier previously - also worked well, although you can tell they aren't the most technical tents in the world). All in all it was a success. Now it's time to fix some quirks and keep having fun. :elkgrin:

I have the '03 version of your truck. Love the grey too. Just bought mine last month, first Rover. Learning a lot here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Most mods of 2013 are finally done. Roof rack is in the 2014 budget. Just tinkering from here on out.

5-profile_zps32e80f55.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998