New to us, FWC Grandby

ExpoMike

Well, got the eye bolts setup and the jacks off. Much better!!! Here are some pics of the inside and outside popped up.

Couch converted into bed mode
PICT6096.jpg

Some neighbor kids that saw the camper popped up and came over to check it out. They liked it!
PICT6097.jpg

Upper bed
PICT6098.jpg

Front water storage tank and battery location
PICT6100.jpg

Galley
PICT6101.jpg

First drink in the camper :D
PICT6102.jpg

Outside popped up and jacks off
PICT6103.jpg

PICT6104.jpg

Side windows rolled up
PICT6105.jpg

That's it for now.

ExpoMike

It's in great shape. It does have a few wear marks here and there but otherwise it's close to new. Definitely a great score.

Now I need to get the M1010 sold and then I can start looking at suspension parts. :)

ExpoMike

Mikeeeee, where and when is the first trip?
What does Mom think of the camper?
Jeff

We are hoping to get out 14-15 but not sure where. Just a single overnighter to test things out. If the desert area is cool enough (daytime temps) it will likely be out there otherwise some place a little higher up.

So far Momma is liking it. It will take a little getting used to since it's somewhat different then the Kamparoo. We need to get our stuff out of the Kamparoo and figure out how to pack it into the FWC. That should be interesting... :Wow1:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Wow, so nice man! I dig it and have been wanting to do the same for a long time. Just can't get my head wrapped around selling the 80 again. Let us know how you like the setup in the field and if the long bed hinders your ability to go places. Looks great!

ExpoMike

Will do Dave.

Today's task was getting the 12 volt plug setup installed so I can hook the camper battery to the truck charging system, so it will charge on the go. No pics but it went very well and I have everything hooked up.

Just picked up all of our gear out of the Kamparoo. Now we need to see how we can get it all to fit in the FWC. Will definitely be one of those "a place for everything and everything in its place" deal. As big as the camper is, storage is at a premium.

ExpoMike

Memorial Weekend Progress

Well, the FWC got some attention this weekend. After last weekends trip, we torn out one of the mounting eyes on the camper. In reality it was already damage by the PO so i't not surprising it came all the way out. Also in taking to Stan at FWC, over the years they have reinforced these mounts to help prevent this from happening. With a plan in hand, I bought some materials for this project.

Also, we purchased a new compressor style fridge (like an Engel/ARB) but in a front load design. Engel and Nova Kool make these Danfross compressor fridges and it happened that Nova Kool had a model (R2600) which was almost a direct fit replacement for the Norcold 323 3-way fridge. I was able to get a local boating shop to order one with an order they were placing so I didn't have to pay any shipping. Score! Also, the capacity of the old one is 1.7 cf (47 quart) and the new one is 2.4 cf (65 quart).

With these two projects at hand, I set out to get them done. Everything went smoothly and I am very happy with how things turned out.

Repairing Torn Mount

Torn mount (sorry for blurry pic)
PICT6115.jpg

PICT6116.jpg

1/4" plate aluminum top and bottom to sandwich the camper plywood. Add some bonding glue for a little added strength.

PICT6129.jpg

PICT6130.jpg

Grade 8 bolt

PICT6131.jpg

PICT6132.jpg

Replacing Fridge

Old Norcold fridge

PICT6100.jpg

Test fitting new Nova Kool fridge

PICT6119.jpg

Not quite as tall but exact width

PICT6120.jpg

No problem, a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of birch and a crown nailer, put in place.

PICT6123.jpg

Showing the top of the fridge before placing it back in

PICT6124.jpg

Looking back at the compressor and other parts

PICT6125.jpg

I forgot to get a finished pic but it looks like it has always been there. The birch matched very well. Even the FWC wiring had the same connectors so I just was able to plug in the DC wires. This is a DC only fridge since if I need to run it off AC, it runs off the converter onboard. Saved about $150 off an AC/DC model.

Also done this weekend but no pics, I flushed out the water heater tank and replaced the anode rod. Topped off the water tank when done.

Just need to replace the camper battery as the Optima blue top doesn't seem to be hold a charge and I have no idea how old it is.

Well, that's it for a productive weekend. :victory: :wings:

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
Nice rig Mike. I'm considering doing a similar reefer swap, the 3-way just doesn't cut it when the ambient temp is 100+.
Looks like it's time for an avatar change (lol).:ylsmoke:
BX

White Rhino

Nice rig. I am curious though as to why there is such a large air gap in between the truck roof and the cabover? I havent noticed that on too many others?

ExpoMike

Nice rig. I am curious though as to why there is such a large air gap in between the truck roof and the cabover? I havent noticed that on too many others?

Because this unit was originally built for a Ford SuperDuty which has a taller cab height. The major benefit is that I have an extra 4" of head room, even when the top is down. Makes eating lunch, taking a nap, etc. much nicer if you have the top down. Down side is the look of the larger gap and some loss of aerodynamics but that will be taken care of with a faring of sorts.

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Hey Mike!

Hows that Nova Cool fridge working so far? Which model did you get, where, and how much? Spraying questions your way, sorry! Im getting ready to pull the plug on a new fridge, and solar setup before my nest trip. So far Im debating between the Truck Fridge TF65 and the Endel SR70F-u1. Thoughts? :)
Thanks!

Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears