New Tundra Release

jim65wagon

Is the rear leg room similar in a Double Cab Tacoma as a Access Cab 2nd gen Tundra? ACSB Tundy may be the answer...I would really miss my manual trans though.

EDIT: Ran by the stealership from getting the VW emissions done (it passed) DC Taco & AC Tundra rear seat leg-room about the same, meh...both look painful
for rear passengers, why bother?

The second gen Tundras are called, Regular Cab, DoubleCab and CrewMax. Having ridden in the backseat of a DoubleCab, the room is just fine for an adult and way better then the first-gen AccessCab. Rear legroom is listed at 34.7" for the DC Tundra and 44.5" for the CrewMax. The DC Tacoma is listed at 32.6" and the AccessCab is 28.2".

and to put this all into some perspective the first gen accesscab is 28.6" and the DC is 37.5" for rear legroom. should I have put that in a graph?

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
The second gen Tundras are called, Regular Cab, DoubleCab and CrewMax. Having ridden in the backseat of a DoubleCab, the room is just fine for an adult and way better then the first-gen AccessCab. Rear legroom is listed at 34.7" for the DC Tundra and 44.5" for the CrewMax. The DC Tacoma is listed at 32.6" and the AccessCab is 28.2".

and to put this all into some perspective the first gen accesscab is 28" and the DC is 37.5" for rear legroom. should I have put that in a graph?

Thanks for the clarification on what they are named. I can't keep up anymore. :)

So my eyeballing measurement wasn't too far off comparing the the Double Cab Tacoma to the Double Cab Tundra...both looked tight to me, and I am only 5'8".
A regular cab Tundra 8' bed would be killer with a Flip Pac, darn near play shuffle board in there...

Keep on weighing the "do I need more bed space or cabin space"...I do have a 5X8' trailer so I don't really need a fullsize bed, could get by with a stubby bed.

For some reason I can't stop looking at *gasp* 1/2 ton Chevy's, seems like they are in-between the size of a Tacoma and a Tundra, need to look at the dimensions a little closer.

I am going to drive myself nuts. LOL

Last edited:

MotoDave

Explorer
Thanks for the clarification on what they are named. I can't keep anymore. :)

So my eyeballing measurement wasn't too far off comparing the the Double Cab Tacoma to the Double Cab Tundra...both looked tight to me, and I am only 5'8".

Keep on weighing the "do I need more bed space or cabin space"...I do have a 5X8' trailer so I don't really need a fullsize bed, could get by with a stubby bed.

For some reason I can't stop looking at *gasp* 1/2 ton Chevy's, seems like they are in-between the size of a Tacoma and a Tundra, need to look at the dimensions a little closer.

I'll chime in from the point of having just bought a current gen Double Cab Tundra. In my opinion the back seat is just fine for adults on long trips. Soon after I got my truck I did a 6 hr road trip with 2 friends in the back seat, including one who is 6'3" who sat behind my wife (5' 7"). Didn't have any complaints about leg room or seat comfort from the back the whole trip, I even offered for him to drive and he declined. When we were truck shopping we found the seat backs on the DC tundra to be at a more comfortable angle than that in the DC tacoma.

I am building the truck with a camper shell and platform to be able to sleep in the back, and the 6.5' bed with a rear usable back seat was a big selling point for me over the extra cab offerings from Ford and Chevy. I really don't see the point of the monstrous crew cabs being offered these days unless you regularly drive long distances with a cab full of basketball players, but to each their own. To me those compromise too much of the utility of a pickup truck to be worth while. It does look like the next offerings from both ford and chevy will go the way of Toyota with a regular opening rear door on the extra cab models which would have put them in consideration.

If you look at the dimensions, particularly turning circle and wheelbase, I think the Tundra DC stacks up very favorably to the crew cab ford and chevy offerings. In fact the turning circle on my Tundra is the same as that of the older T100 that it replaced, despite gaining ~24" in wheelbase.

I like the look of the new tundra, especially what they have doine on the inside, and would have been tempted to trade up if they had significantly improved efficiency on their powertrain line up. My truck is a 4x4 with the 4.6 V8, and I regularly see 19+ mpg on freeway trips which is exactly as advertised (same as the Tacoma DC 4x4, coincidentally). Good enough for me.

Clutch

<---Pass
If its of any help to anyone, here's a link to my 'Truck Comparison' spreadsheet I made while truck shopping. I was mainly looking to compare overall size, wheelbase/turning ratio, and to some extent power/mpg/towing ratings. Not all of this data is from the manufacturers as its hard to come by for older models, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArrHOs9SMik3dEJ1Z0JvNkpvWU5nMGlOTFZScEc5cVE&usp=sharing

That is awesome thanks!

stykbow

I'll agree with comment that there is plenty of room in the back seat of the 2 generation Tundra. I've had 3 guys in the back seat that would love nothing better then to complain about my Tundra and they were all surprised by the amount of room with no complaints. I'll also say that my personal experience with the Tundra has been very good. I have 110,000 miles on it and the only mechanical problem was with the belt tensioner which was replaced under warranty.

What surprised me about Toyota was the ease at which I was able to get fixes applied meant to fix known issues - basically just by asking. Really, that is how it should be, it just hadn't been my experience with other manufacturers. The original tailgate was a bit light and flimsy. When they redesigned it, I asked for it to be replaced and they replaced it even though my existing tailgate had not failed in any way. I also had the re-designed rear cab mounts installed to resolve the very rarely experienced so called "bed bounce" issue, also just by asking - this was also after the factory warranty expired. While these fixes did not happen as quickly as they should have, my own personal experience has been that Toyota stands behind their vehicles - at least a lot more than other manufacturers from which I have purchased vehicles. I don't think there is anything wrong with the frame either, I would take it over a hydroformed "so called" fully boxed frame - I just find it hard to believe that hydroforming provides uniform metal thickness.

While I would never pledge my undying loyalty to a publicly traded company, Toyota has gone a long way towards earning some of it. I also believe that the 5.7 and the six speed transmission is one of the best engine/tranny combinations out there.

I would like to see direct injection and a diesel option, but I think that this is a good step forward for the Tundra. If I were in the market for another 1/2 ton full size truck, I would definitely be looking at the "new" Tundra.

Whether it makes a good expedition vehicle, I guess would be debatable - I think it would depend on the type of expedition on which you embark. Like other full sized trucks, it is a bit large for tight trails.

Just my 2 cents.

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks, the specs on paper look waaay better than the GM's.

I went and looked at the Tundras yesterday...now the battle is to stay with a Tacoma or go fullsize? ...or maybe a 1st gen Tundra crew cab? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Derek24

Explorer
With a Flip Pac it would be awesome!

That might be my next rig (of course I am all over the map for the "next" rig ;) ), the space behind the seats is as much or a smidge bigger than my Extra Cab Taco.

View attachment 144404

Exactly, my dream! My dad has a regular cab short bed 5.7 4x4 TRD, fully loaded RC, and I'm always on him why he does not need that truck and why he should sell it to me! There is almost the same amount of room behind the seat as my 1st gen access cab. The wheel base is shorter than mine, the overall length is shorter than mine, it will out turn mine, it is amazing how sharp the 2nd gen Tundras turn. Also his truck is lighter than mine with 140 more horsepower and 100+ more torque, and a drivetrain that makes 1 Ton trucks think twice. If I wasn't in the process of buying a house I'd be looking for my regular cab!

Clutch

<---Pass
Exactly, my dream! My dad has a regular cab short bed 5.7 4x4 TRD, fully loaded RC, and I'm always on him why he does not need that truck and why he should sell it to me! There is almost the same amount of room behind the seat as my 1st gen access cab. The wheel base is shorter than mine, the overall length is shorter than mine, it will out turn mine, it is amazing how sharp the 2nd gen Tundras turn. Also his truck is lighter than mine with 140 more horsepower and 100+ more torque, and a drivetrain that makes 1 Ton trucks think twice. If I wasn't in the process of buying a house I'd be looking for my regular cab!

Seems like you can score some deals on the RC Tundy's, since no one really wants RC truck's anymore.

Here is one for $23K with only 14K on the odo, that seems like a great deal to me.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...TOYOTA[TUNDRA[]][]]&listingId=334702133&Log=0

Yeah, I have no idea what I am going to do, girlfriend says keep what I have, she loves my Tacoma for some reason.

But man, all of the gear you could haul with a RCLB Tundra...with room to spare...and all that power, with a Flip Pac would
be a killer traveling rig.

Maybe keep the taco and get a Tundy in addition...now there is a plan. ;)

Last edited:

Falkon

Adventurer
Not impressed. I still like my 1st Gen, maybe I'm old-fashioned, or maybe a cheap bastard. Either way, keeps me from plunking down cash on a new truck when I have one thats free and clear with only 120k miles on it. Just reaching it's stride.

Toyota needs to stuff a diesel in that puppy or the Ameri-cans will be shipping those back overseas (yes, I understand they are to be built in Texas, but that ruins the imagery).

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
Not impressed. I still like my 1st Gen, maybe I'm old-fashioned, or maybe a cheap bastard. Either way, keeps me from plunking down cash on a new truck when I have one thats free and clear with only 120k miles on it. Just reaching it's stride.

Toyota needs to stuff a diesel in that puppy or the Ameri-cans will be shipping those back overseas (yes, I understand they are to be built in Texas, but that ruins the imagery).

That kind of sums up my feelings.

sourdough

Adventurer
That kind of sums up my feelings.

Yep! I never cared for the 2nd gen Tundra. I'm running a lightly used(86,000) '03 Tundra Limited 4x4 that replaced my bought new '02 Tacoma pre-runner, that replaced my bought used '87 Toyota P/U, that replaced my bought used '68 LC 40 , that replaced my '73 LC 55, that replace my '76 Toyota P/U. My wife loves her '01 Highlander (under 100,000)but not the newer ones. I'm trying to get her a new Toyota but the problem is we've never had a major problem with any of Toyota's products. My point is, if you aren't drawn to a new Toyota vehicle what's the point of buying one. For me the 3rd gen.Tundra needed more than cosmetics but I'm sure it's a great truck. Maybe in a few years....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle