Newb What military platform is the best starting point

Sikocycles

Adventurer
I am new here but read many threads. I have no welding or fab experience but I am pretty good fixing and figuring out things. I want a camping offroad trailer but I dont see how I could build from scratch so what is the best platform to start with.
It will be pulled with a 07 FJ Cruiser or a new tacoma once I get one.

I dont want anything too big or heavy. Want a RTT and room to carry things.

What would you suggest to look for?

Thank you

cwadej

just a guy
You ask for best military platform, then say not big or heavy. Cant have the first without the other two. Military rarely considers fuel economy in a vehicle, so they are overbuilt, which adds a bunch of weight. Military tactical vehicles are quite wide. as are the trailers.

What are the priorities? Military or small and light? To go behind the FJ, go small and light.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I am new here but read many threads. I have no welding or fab experience but I am pretty good fixing and figuring out things. I want a camping offroad trailer but I dont see how I could build from scratch so what is the best platform to start with.
It will be pulled with a 07 FJ Cruiser or a new tacoma once I get one.

I dont want anything too big or heavy. Want a RTT and room to carry things.

What would you suggest to look for?

Thank you

Sometimes a good way to work it, is what would you set as a limit on what you want to tow?...1000#..1500#...2000# or more? Then what is your budget like, that also will determine where you're headed right away. Assess what equipment you already have vs. what you really need/want/can't live without. How far off road do want to go...fire roads, class 4 roads, rock crawling?

Fill in some of those blanks, and you'll start to get a sense of what you need.

Sikocycles

Adventurer
Off road ready so I am thinking military. Looking for a m416 or m101.
What's small and light that is off road ready

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
M101 Canadian...M416...Bantam TC3....M100...all pretty much 4' x 6' - 1/2 ton trailers.

DiNoot has a light fiberglass variety, as does Ruger and a few other if you want to go new.

I'm a M116a2 fan, it's a 3/4 ton, tracks great behind the FJ or 4Runner, or Tacoma for that matter. Lots of builds here and over on Mud.

slascalza

image.jpeg
We pull ours with a 2007 FJ cruiser. Our trailer is a US M101A3 and gas mileage has dropped by about 2 miles per gallon

Sikocycles

Adventurer
I will be looking at 2 locally this weekend. One is a flatbed for 1200 the other has a fiberglass top which I probably dont need for 1900. Dont know the model numbers

00w0w_kM0jCyxjxOQ_600x450.jpg00X0X_jwRNZcv3KJK_600x450.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
You ask for best military platform, then say not big or heavy. Cant have the first without the other two. Military rarely considers fuel economy in a vehicle, so they are overbuilt, which adds a bunch of weight. Military tactical vehicles are quite wide. as are the trailers.

What are the priorities? Military or small and light? To go behind the FJ, go small and light.

Isn't "not too big and not too heavy" what he said in the first place? M416 or Bantam, or the Canadian equivalent. Approx 500 lbs empty, with a 4x6 box profile, and relatively stout. So it's military and not too big or heavy, and ready to be put to use in at least some capacity with no fab required, with enoug payload capacity to haul just about everything the average person would want to cart off road. Excuse me, overlanding. Or maybe expeditioning, or whatever. Maybe a knod towards a tarp to keep stuff dry. Pretty much exactly what he asked for. Few if any of the other relatively available military options fit all 3 criteria.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I will be looking at 2 locally this weekend. One is a flatbed for 1200 the other has a fiberglass top which I probably dont need for 1900. Dont know the model numbers

View attachment 312331View attachment 312332

Keep your eye on a couple of the government auction sites and you can pick up A box trailer about like that one for $500-$600. I'll tell you though, it doesn't fit my description of "not too big". It's big, and tall, and fairly hefty. Not something I'd want to haul around once leaving the road. Any place I'm likely to need 4 wheel drive.

Yes I have one, and the M416. Never done anything off road recreationaly where I needed the haul capacity of an M101.

Last edited:

Xrunner

Explorer
I have a version of that military flatbed for a utility trailer... these trailers typically run a hydraulic surge break setup on the pintle with manual parking breaks. It's a solid starting platform but heavy and big. You'll find that a lot of people will pull the break setup, swap the axle and wheels, and build up a top box or cover. You could always get buy using as is and build it up as you go. Find a spare tire (they use a common bolt pattern) and run with the pintle for a while. I would expect to spend an additional $1,000+ turning it into an ExPo type trailer (and easily more depending on what you want to do).

On a side note I would keep an eye on craigslist to get a feel for how much a given trailer "should" be selling for locally. Out here in Colorado a 2005 or so aluminum Silver Eagle Mgf trailer will sit at about $1,400 to $2,000 depending on condition and included accessories. The flatbeds are more rare and usually older but typically sell for around $1,000. Another option worth mentioning is to bid on a surplus auction and then title it yourself.

I'm on trailer #5 or so now (yes, I have an addiction lol), and while it's been a fun ride if I did it all over again I would have saved my pennies and jumped into a mid-level off road trailer like the Ruger or Outlander Sherpa (no longer made). I would have had it built with a removable tub so I could still use it as a utility flatbed if needed. That would have allowed for less of my time off working on trailer projects and more time enjoying the outdoors... in theory at least.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader

View attachment 312331View attachment 312332

Can't see it clearly, but the one with a cap looks to be an older M101A1(which I'd steer clear of)...the other is a M116A2...which I would offer him not much more then $800...unless it's r eally, really clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12