Newbie Question about motorcycle for exploring

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Hello to the forum,

I'm currently looking into either a dual sport bike that I can run both on the street and off road or a Rattler 110 scooter. main purpose is just to get away for the afternoon, ride out to some prime fly fishing spots I know of, in which I can get within a mile or two with my pickup, but would rather have something a little more manueverable.

I had a couple old Honda trail bikes, an SL125 and a XL125, which I sold due to lack of cash back 20 years ago. (In hindsight I should have kept both of them, but it was more important for money for car repairs than keeping a couple old 1970's bikes that weren't running)

So what would you recommend for someone starting out looking into just travelling, possibly riding back and forth to work on good days, and taking the side trip to do some fishing on the way?

As for the fishing gear, I've got that covered. I have a few telescopic spinning and fly rods which have seen years of use and abuse, along with fitting in my carry on bag several times on business trips.

Thanks for the info.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Yamaha XT250 or TW200. Either sounds like they'd be about perfect for what you're wanting to do. Also consider Kawasaki KLR250 if you can find one.

John

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yup, sounds like a small aircooled street legal machine is what you want. Buy a used one, and figure out where you want to go from there. If you decide to stick with a bike like that, trade it on a new one if you want. If you decide on a different bike, sell it and get what you want later. Either way, you'd be out very little money, and a smaller bike will be better for re-learning anyway.

I'll second the TW200 suggestion above. In the past I've not been too fond of them, but over the last few months I've gotten to spend a bit of time on one, and have a new respect for their capabilities.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
TW200's are great little bikes. Really easy to ride (even in sand), not a whole lot of power to get you into trouble, geared pretty low, and they have a pretty low seat height...

Mine is an '06, and is an absolute hoot to ride...

But, as good as they are, as much fun as they can be...you won't want to ride one in freeway speed traffic.

At 55mph it is really screaming, and honestly, they don't handle that well at speeds like that. The forks just aren't that great, and the fat front tire just doesn't handle as well. If you don't see freeways in your future...definitely consider one.

Really, any of the small dual sports would serve you well. I'm kind of drawn to the old Hondas myself...

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
i agree with all of the above comments. just to add dont forget the XT225 is the older version of XT250 and used ones are available its a great bike and also suzuki dr200.

skip the tw200. it is a great bike for lots of stuff. but the XT or DR you wont grow out of as fast.. my wife learned to ride on a tw200 and was looking for more in just a few months. now her offroad ride is the XT250 and she loves it..

the DR200 is nice if fuel range is a big issue to you..

I'm riding a Yamaha WR250r...love it, but a fairly tall bike. The EFI is great, and it really screams for a small bore.

My wife has the XT225...definitely worth considering as it sits lower. Fairly bomb proof, too.

Whatever you decide, get out and ride. :roost: The stress level in my job has been pretty high the last year or so and the afternoon detox ride does the trick.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Another vote for the XT225 Yamaha. Absolutely the most trouble-free bike I've owned - and I've owned a few in the past 40+ years. Mine now has over 10,000 miles on it with nothing but routine service. Geared stock it is a decent road bike (though not at freeway speeds); it takes only about 5 minutes to change out the front sprocket and thus you can gear it down for the really rough stuff if you want. 70 mpg if you don't run it really hard.

Really, any of the street-legal small displacement 4-strokes from any of the major manufacturers would no doubt do fine for what you need.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Really, any of the street-legal small displacement 4-strokes from any of the major manufacturers would no doubt do fine for what you need.

A friend told me a little while ago "The thing about bike shopping is, there are no BAD bikes." We were talking about enduros, and it's true. Of the 4 Japanesemanufacturers plus KTM, there's really not a *bad* bike in the bunch. Some are slower than others, but that doesn't make them bad. Just pick the engine size you want, and pick your favorite colour and... it doesn't matter.

I'm riding a Yamaha WR250r...love it, but a fairly tall bike. The EFI is great, and it really screams for a small bore.

I'm really really curious to try a WR250R to see how it compares to my WR250F. They're not the same bike at all. I really would have prefered a 400 class road legal enduro from Yamaha, but I've heard the 250R has as much power as a DRZ400.

scarysharkface

Explorer
A friend told me a little while ago "The thing about bike shopping is, there are no BAD bikes."

I'd have to agree with that. :) :bike_rider:

If the OP is looking for something a bit more serious, then the DRZ400, KLX250 or WR250R would certainly be worth investigating.

Of course, for half the price of any of those a used KLR650 is hard to beat (I'm on my second one) and will easily take a person to the far reaches of the planet. They're heavier though..

Suzuki DR650 and and Honda XR650L are excellent as well, with tons of dealer support world-wide.

www.advrider.com might be a good place to lurk to maybe see what bikes are being used by people doing the same kinds of things that appeal to the OP...

God, how I do love my motorcycle!

John

Rexsname

Explorer
HiJack on...John, do you find that the KLR's 650 single is a little buzzy on the freeway? I dont know much but it would seem to be not an optimal hi-way bike. HiJack off...

REX

scarysharkface

Explorer
HiJack on...John, do you find that the KLR's 650 single is a little buzzy on the freeway? I dont know much but it would seem to be not an optimal hi-way bike. HiJack off...

REX

I think it's a matter of what one would consider buzzy. I've done several 700-800 mile days and find the wind to be the limiting factor. Sure, it's not as smooth as my wife's Wee-Strom, but the vibrations are not something I mind. My bike is geared down with a 14T countershaft sprocket (stock is 15T), so at 5k rpm I'm doing a true 65 mph (70 mph indicated). I've cruised all-day at 85 mph in the configuration..

Wind, on the other hand (and this is applicable to the OP), is a major issue with any of the lighter and/or taller dual sport bikes on the highway. A headwind or crosswind can ruin a day, especially if it's gusty or variable. I think THAT is the issue most people are really concerned about when the topic of travelling on a smaller/lighter bike comes up. Passing trucks, of course, are more of a factor as well.

John

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur

REX

Even though I'm not John, yes. I find the singles to be 'buzzy' at higher speeds. For shorter distances, I don't mind it so much. Laying down back to back 700+ mile days, it does get old.

What bothers me more though, is the lack of power at freeway speeds. A single cruising at 70mph just doesn't have a lot of power left to get around that line of trucks heading up the hill.

Wind doesn't bother me much on the BMW's. I only mention BMWs because they are a bit heavier than the others -- which makes a difference. Once you get used to the wind, even variable cross winds, it isn't so bad. Personally, when it gets real gusty, I speed up a bit and try to ride up-wind of an empty lane (so any huge gusts blow me towards an empty lane, rather than towards the guard rail).

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
You guys are pretty funny...this is small town New England...he's probably not going to be doing 700+ miles of slab to get down to the local fishin' hole...

...and most any bike is gonna be buzzy when you're wearing waders!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior