Newbie Question about motorcycle for exploring

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Another small-bike option is the Kawasaki KL250 "Super Sherpa" which has both 6 gears and a rear disk brake. Most similar bikes have one or the other but not both. I have a DR200 and the big tank (300+ mile range) is handy for commuting; I can fill up once a week.

Cheers,
Graham

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
So far I'm loving the encouragement. I'm sort of torn between going for a smaller bike or the scooter, which the scooter's downfall is a 1.3 gallon gas tank, which may not be enough to get me in and out of some of the remote areas I travel. And yes I may have to travel those stupid slabs of concrete highways for part of the trip, but the other half is mostly dirt or broken pavement backroads, with some trails and old long forgotten railroad beds that haven't seen a train in years.

Looks like the 250 would be a good start for power and size, not concerned about the high speed, I really only like to cruise at about 35 tops on the bike when riding, even slower when out on the trail. You never know what you'll see if your going too fast. (sort of like those two cuties swimming in the river one time......)

Another small-bike option is the Kawasaki KL250 "Super Sherpa" which has both 6 gears and a rear disk brake. Most similar bikes have one or the other but not both. I have a DR200 and the big tank (300+ mile range) is handy for commuting; I can fill up once a week.

Cheers,
Graham

WR250R has 6 gears, discs F & R, EFI, but alas, a miniscule tank. You would have to consider a Safari tank (Australia) or Rotopax spares. I'm leaning towards the Rotopax. :beer:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I should have observed that no small bike has a big tank, rear disk brake and six gears!

Other choices: The new KLX250S also looks useful, plus if you like standards, check out the Suzuki TU250: Link to Suzuki web site.

Cheers,
Graham

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I should have observed that no small bike has a big tank, rear disk brake and six gears!

Other choices: The new KLX250S also looks useful, plus if you like standards, check out the Suzuki TU250: Link to Suzuki web site.

Cheers,
Graham

Two out of 3 ain't bad! All XT225 Yamahas are 6-speeds. Here's a shot of mine, with a 4-gallon Clarke tank which gives it a range of ~ 300 miles if I don't hotdog it. And I can see how much fuel is left, constantly. As for a rear disc - totally unnecessary, as far as I am concerned. The rear drum is powerful enough and very controllable. The front wheel provides most of the stopping power anyway. As for that Suzy - that would be a nice commuter if one restricted oneself to pavement only. I would hate to tackle a muddy road with it.

IMG_4718.jpg

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Something tells me you didn't just happened to find that perfect little kickstand block out there in the middle of nowhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior