Nissan Patrol

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It all comes down to prefrence, but in reality you can get an IFS rig into all the same places as an SFA rig with exception of the gnarliest rock gardens, but you run the risk of breaking something and not getting out as has been said... Lockers, low T-case gears, good (taller) tires and most importantly a good driver will get you near anywhere.

While I agree that SFA's will do sever duty and last longer out in the bush. Honestly, the old Torsion-bar IFS system under the OLDER Toyota Mini-Trucks is quite robust for anything but sever rock crawling and desert bombing. Unfortunatly like alot of things, Toyota has "lightened" their trucks significantly and the new IFS system and the frame it's attatched to aren't as robust wich is a big issue with IFS because the flex in the front frame section that the suspension connects to will cause allignment issues and aditional wear. THe older trucks are VERY burly in the frame department and aside from the weak steering components are very very tough compared to todays more comfy set-ups. I'm not sure about Nissan's frames these days but they sure droped a turd of afront diff in some of their trucks wich will lead to the IFS system generaly not being all that reliable.

Personaly, I drive a truck because I like trucks... if I want cushy and tight handling, I'll buld another VW to play with. the Ride comfort loss, to me, isn't to big a deal with SFA's, because like I say, I like a truckish ride. So, while I do apreciate the comfy ride out on the hwy with my IFS set-up, I'm just as happy when I get into my dad's XJ with it's solid axle.

Cheers

Dave

Engel

They are amazing vehicles and to me probably the best money can buy! I like the sfa on a hard working vehile. They tend to last longer. My toy is a mq patrol and gets abused with no problem ever!

.....one day when Im big!!

azbumblebee

A lot of Nissan fans got excited about this pic awhile back, it was taken in the Southeast. We've heard word of the Patrol replacing the Armada here since the larger pickup (Titan) may also be gone. Although the truck would probably be a competitor to the high end or luxury Land Cruiser / Lexus here and be big money. It could follow in the path of Land Rover, Lexus / Toyota and after a few years and easy miles as a luxury vehicle it can be affordable and purchased for it more intended purpose. Although here the proposed independent front end would not be ideal for offroad out of the box we are used to using technology from Baja 'style' racing and off road development groups to make it good for all but the single purpose hardcore rock crawlers. Each Country has it's own requirements and getting a 'world' distribution vehicle would allow us to use established parts ie ARB to modify it since it will start out light years ahead of the Armada. Although I'm used to seeing pics of vehicles that won't be available here it is kind of nice to enjoy a unique to this market product for awhile, can't wait!!! :drool:

pic courtesy of lx450landcruiser

RgrBox

Adventurer
I bought and owned a Nissan Patrol GRIII for 5 years.. after two motors I had to get rid of it.. the same problem in both motors.. I was a broken man for three months.. and everytime I see one I want to cry.. I loved that truck.. but it didn't love me back.. now I drive something different..

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I bought and owned a Nissan Patrol GRIII for 5 years.. after two motors I had to get rid of it.. the same problem in both motors.. I was a broken man for three months.. and everytime I see one I want to cry.. I loved that truck.. but it didn't love me back.. now I drive something different..
Yeah I've heard that what, the smaller diesel (???) has alot of issues??? The Patrols I wheeled with in Australia had alot of transmission issues. Neat trucks though, along side the G-Wagen and 70 series Cruiser I don't think there's a more over built off-roader out there (that isn't a MOG or something like it...) Like anything though, they're not perfect and seem to have some nagging issues eh. Sorry to hear about your woe's with yours. So what are you driving now mate?

With the Patrols, like Cruisers sometimes, I get confused with what model people are refering to because I'm not as familiar with specific models. IS there a site like brian894x4's awesome Cruiser info resource for Patrols? Liek something that lays out what the GU came with etc... From what I remember there is alot of varriance in teh Patrol from an overbuilt Monster to a lighter duty smaller engined rig. Is this correct? Kind of like the 70 Series with all of it's variations. Makes sence since the Patrol is the direct competitor to the 70 Series in Australia and a damn fine 4wd.

So back on topic of my question, is there a good site (wikipedia was a wash for what I'm looking for) to break the models, designations, years and builds/equipment of all the Patrols???

Cheers

Dave

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

joy

Observer
engine problems

Hey guys,

Yes it's true, the smaller engine 3.0 liter had piston issues - over the years Nissan made some changes and almost got rid of the problem.
Here in Israel, all 2001-2002 models got a new engines (500 vehicles) over the years bur newer models rarely seem to have this problem.
My truck is a 2005 model and has 275,000 KM on the clock and runs beautifully.

I am still (13 months since i got it after 12 years of owning LR discovery's) amazed about how tough it is built!! a real off-road truck.

Joy

Attachments

• 4336_80436662909_536727909_1696788_2151753_n.jpg
    4336_80436662909_536727909_1696788_2151753_n.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 4336_80441347909_536727909_1696897_700379_n.jpg
    4336_80441347909_536727909_1696897_700379_n.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 85

joy

Observer
never sold in the US

I think that they were not powerful and luxurious enough for the US market...
compering to the LC 80 or 100.

Attachments

• 4336_80445187909_536727909_1696926_5123841_n.jpg
    4336_80445187909_536727909_1696926_5123841_n.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3314.JPG
    IMG_3314.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 85

miller_au

Adventurer
So back on topic of my question, is there a good site (wikipedia was a wash for what I'm looking for) to break the models, designations, years and builds/equipment of all the Patrols???

sure is http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/

Hey guys,

Yes it's true, the smaller engine 3.0 liter had piston issues - over the years Nissan made some changes and almost got rid of the problem.
Here in Israel, all 2001-2002 models got a new engines (500 vehicles) over the years bur newer models rarely seem to have this problem.
My truck is a 2005 model and has 275,000 KM on the clock and runs beautifully.
I am still (13 months since i got it after 12 years of owning LR discovery's) amazed about how tough it is built!! a real off-road truck.
Joy

Yeah alot of those issues have been sorted, I got in while i could and got the 4.2ltr TD, its as tough as nails!

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
We ran with a relatively new (2007/2008) Patrol in Iceland recently.

A shame we can't get efficient diesel vehicles in the US.

Attachments

• IcelandNissan.JPG
    IcelandNissan.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 104

RgrBox

Adventurer
We ran with a relatively new (2007/2008) Patrol in Iceland recently.

A shame we can't get efficient diesel vehicles in the US.

Holy Hell! Is that thing for real.. you got any more pics of it.. hot looking Patrol..

As for the engine problems, I contacted the Swiss head of Nissan with a lawyer, and they told me it was my problem.. I didn't expect this kind of BS, due to the fact that they were so good to me from the start.. but the day I arrived with my Patrol at the garage, and then some Admin guy I never saw before is standing there with a piece of paper telling me that it's my problem due to it being 10,000 kms over the date I bought the truck I felt gutted, and cheated.. anyway, I sold my Patrol to a guy with the broken motor for nothing, and after a year he's still looking fo ra used Patrol with a working engine so he can replace it.. none ot be found over here.. Nissan really pissed a lot fo people off over here..

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
Holy Hell! Is that thing for real.. you got any more pics of it.. hot looking Patrol..

As for the engine problems, I contacted the Swiss head of Nissan with a lawyer, and they told me it was my problem.. I didn't expect this kind of BS, due to the fact that they were so good to me from the start.. but the day I arrived with my Patrol at the garage, and then some Admin guy I never saw before is standing there with a piece of paper telling me that it's my problem due to it being 10,000 kms over the date I bought the truck I felt gutted, and cheated.. anyway, I sold my Patrol to a guy with the broken motor for nothing, and after a year he's still looking fo ra used Patrol with a working engine so he can replace it.. none ot be found over here.. Nissan really pissed a lot fo people off over here..

These are the only other images I have of the truck. These were in Iceland last week. The truck belongs to a local guide that helped us navigate part of our trip.

Attachments

• Nissan1.JPG
    Nissan1.JPG
    425.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Nissan2.JPG
    Nissan2.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 88

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior