nitto ridge grappler

luv2xplor

anybody use this tire? I was set on the cooper st maxx , but cant find much info on the nitto ridge grappler.
UPDATE, went with the nittos, they are pretty quiet and after 30 miles of gravel roads didnt pick up hardly any rocks.
Time will tell how they wear. My previous tires were cooper at/3's and I got 45,000 out of them

Last edited:

Watt maker

Just put a set of RG's on my 2014 4Runner. So far I really like them. Minimal weight to balance, smooth and fairly quiet on the road, did pretty good in some snow, ice, mud mix we were in last weekend.

I have some ST Maxx on the other 4runner and those have been good as well but required more weight and a few separate sessions to balance. They also have the "ST Maxx pull to the right" thing going on but I fixed that through the front suspension alignment. They absolutely kick *** off road though.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've got ST Maxxs on my 3500. Best tire ever. I had no balancing issues and no pull. I will be buying them for my 100 series next. The Nittos I had on my 80 series sucked, but they were the Terra Crapplers. Not the same tread, so the Ridge Crapplers might be better?

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You might also consider the Toyo open country A/T II tires. I just put some on my F-350 and love them. In the large sizes they use what they call the "xtreme" tread pattern, it has more voids and sidewall tread then the smaller sizes. It looks a lot like the st maxx in those sizes.

luv2xplor

What are your impressions of the difference between the two? Noticed any MPG change?

I just got them so I havent had a chance to check mileage. I had no complaints with the at/3's, I just wanted a bit more aggressive tread. Also I went with a 295/70/18 so my options were limited

rruff

Explorer
I had no complaints with the at/3's, I just wanted a bit more aggressive tread.

I wonder about that myself. My rig will be offroad a lot, but in the SW mostly, and not in much snow or mud. Sand will be common, but I don't think the lugs help much with that. I keep leaning towards more of a street tread for better MPG and less noise. I suspect you don't gain much off road with ATs unless they are on the MT side of things with large voids, and then you always have road noise. Ridge Grapplers seem like a tire with decent road manners and an aggressive look more than aggressive offroad performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12