Northern Lite 610 for 1/2 Ton PU

Alloy

For the record, airbags ain’t gunna increase your payload. However, they’re great for leveling things out.

Forget airbags. This is the solution!! All one need is a line of ($4k) axles to turn a F250 into a F450.;)

FIY The tires burn when turning. There is no steering dampening or weight/height control like commercial tag axles have.

rruff

Explorer
It s strand shotted from an air gun. There is a video on YouTube that show the build progress. First is gel coat apply to the mold, then strand fiberglass shoot from a gun while another guy roll it tight and compact. It s very thin…. As very little regidity and when it come out of the mold… it s very wimpy and flexi. Then become hard as the foam and other part of the camper are added. It s such a fun process to look at!
Is this it? Doesn't really show them making the shell, just removing the pieces from the mold.

Jonnyo

Observer
Apologies if this was already stated but Northern Lite's website states that weight is not finalized yet but they are aiming at a maximum of 1500 and focusing on keeping it as light as possible. Again please correct me if I'm wrong but it appears a lot of people are comparing previous model Northern Lite shells at 680lbs-772lbs but this does not appear to have a shell option, it will be a fully built out camper with bed(s) dinette, cabinets, stove, composting toilet, etc.

To that I agree 1500lbs is not 1/2 ton territory, I'd guess half the 1/2 tons on the road wouldn't have payload for a driver left over if they even have enough payload for a 1500lb camper. That said I would be interested in this camper on a 3/4 or 1 ton single rear wheel truck for a more nimble package than some other truck campers but a more sturdy camper than something like a GFC or other pick up shell/RTT campers.

We are comparing to our full built out camper 610 from the 90s…. It was never sold as a shell only. It was always sold as a full camper With bed and sink and heater and fridge etc. So a fully build 90s 610 was 700lbs territory’ and now they are taking of a 610 in the 1500lbs territories 30 years later.…

rruff

Explorer
....now they are taking of a 610 in the 1500lbs territories 30 years later.…
Their next lightest campers are the Sportsman models that weigh 2360 lbs dry. I'm skeptical that the 610 ever weighed 700 lbs. It's hard to make a viable shell that light... and then add finishing, furniture, cabinets, cushions, stove, fridge, toilet, tanks, propane, plumbing, electrical, batteries, vents, windows, door, etc. Yes, I know the old 610 was small, but still...

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My 08 Silverado 1500 4x4 extended cab 6.5' bed has a payload rating of 1,792lbs. The sticker in the glove box says Truck camper load information cargo weight rating 696lbs.
I was going to mention something like this.

My ‘15 2500 Chevy 8’ box has a payload of 2,800ish and the sticker in the glovebox says 1995# for a truck camper.

Jonnyo

Observer
Their next lightest campers are the Sportsman models that weigh 2360 lbs dry. I'm skeptical that the 610 ever weighed 700 lbs. It's hard to make a viable shell that light... and then add finishing, furniture, cabinets, cushions, stove, fridge, toilet, tanks, propane, plumbing, electrical, batteries, vents, windows, door, etc. Yes, I know the old 610 was small, but still...
You can be sceptical but many of us, me included owned one and weighted them. Mine was under 700lbs empty and 900lbs loaded. So…those weight are real.

Jonnyo

Observer
There has to be a logical explanation for the weight gain.

From the brochures on the NL site (linked in post 9) 2006-2014 (the final year) base wt was 1050lbs. Here's a comparison of some specs from then to the pending one linked in the OP.

MY2006-2014 / 2024

OAL 135" / 136"
Floor 82 / 78
OAW 78 / 85
OAH 75.5 / 89.3

So wider and quite a bit taller but shorter floor length.

Additionally 2024 has std: basement (extra floor), larger fridge, cassette toilet, HW heater. fantastic fan, more solar (?) etc. Might the wall construction be thicker, IDK - the 2000's brochure states 1" block insulation.

So what was different in the 90's models ? did std items incl'd furnace/fridge (not ice box), camper jacks ? Were windows and/or door lighter ?
You mention good point, dimension will be different. That should not influence the weight much tho.

But a basement will for sure. So is solar.

the old version came with stove, fridge 3 way, sink, one tank only (no grey tank) , manual vent, jacks. So for sure, the new version will be pimp up with more amenities. Wall were 1’‘ thick and it was consider a 3 season camper. The new one will step up to 4 season.

Can’t wait to see the release version and full final details.

ricoisme26

Very interesting to hear loaded weight for a 90s model, truly hope that the new model is as "pimp" as we expect it to be. This size truck camper really seems to be missing from market, excited to see what they come up with.

Corkster

I’ve been waiting patiently for more info on the camper. It’s now the middle of 1Q24 and nothing….

I’m hoping this doesn’t end up being vapor ware like the Northern Lite Boreal; announced but never materializes

Has anyone heard anything?

after water, bodies, food, cargo it might be tough
It won’t be tough, It is impossible. My event experience was with new Hallmark Guanella and the Ford F150 that everyone said would be fine. The trucks payload sticker said 2575. I took off the tailgate and 2/3 of the back seat. Everyone was impressed when it was loaded but when I got home 5 weeks later and unloaded all the food and clothing, and with only a half tank of gas, no passenger , no dog and very little propane, I weighed 8300. Add gas, my wife, my dog food and clothes and I suspect that I was traveling at 800 to 900 pounds over the trucks 7850 gross.
oh, you can put a camper on a 1/2 ton truck. but any half ton will be overweight when it ready to camp. I mean any half ton! Northern lites claim is BULL SH___.

simple

Adventurer
All kidding aside. It seems like some segment of the market will be concerned about exceeding ratings and it would be a waste to market a product for half tons if that segment turns out to be significant.

Lance also went exceedingly heavy with some of their half ton units so maybe manufacturers with inside information don't think it's an issue.

Regarding Northernlite trying to capitalize on the cult popularity of a legacy product, they should understand that it was a weight related thing and it is important. Making a dimensionally smaller camper that looks like the earlier one will get attention but I don't think it will hit like it would if it fell into that previous light weight category.

Adding bells and whistles to get the luxury oriented buyer at the expense of weight doesn't seem like a smart tradeoff when squeezing a little camper onto a light duty pickup. If people want luxury they can buy a one ton dually and strap a marble counter topped pig to back of it.

I could be wrong but I don't see a lot of people with 3/4 ton or larger with short beds purchasing this small camper.

Maybe this is all bluster. Maybe the average new RV buyer will roll into the dealer lot with their half ton or smaller truck, buy an over weight camper, add some air bags and get on their merry way once a year for a week road trip and be none the wiser. (Full circle to rruff's post)

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Personally, I think the whole camper industry needs to change and be force to post the ACTUAL full wet weight of each camper, as it is leaving the factory. No guesstimates, no basic, stripped model weights but with whatever has been installed in that specific camper, full of water, propane, batteries, etc. and weigh it before it can be allowed to be sold to the customer.

This would allow people to know exactly what they are buying, weight wise and make informed choices.

rruff

Explorer
All kidding aside. It seems like some segment of the market will be concerned about exceeding ratings and it would be a waste to market a product for half tons if that segment turns out to be significant.
It's true even of small and light campers, that may weigh <1000 lbs when empty and dry, but once you add all your stuff and doodads and upgrades and armor, and load it for extended camping, you now have added >3,000 lbs on your truck and are 1,500-2,000 lbs over GVWR. There is a good article on here somewhere about an Alterra camper on a Tacoma.

With typical upgrades to tires and suspension, it isn't hard to make even a puny truck like that handle and brake as well with a 3k lb load as a 1 ton. Durability is another issue, however.

Those who are concerned can absolutely put this model on a 1 ton, since they are likely to discover that the 1 ton camper model will put them over GVWR if they chose that instead. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior