Nothing here on the R2 reveal?

Jupiter58

There is a lot more detail if anyone wants to dive in, i hit wavetops. It is just different. e.g. you can drive your EV on good roads, past many charging stations making it quick and easy, or jump on a train or bus or bike/hike/ski path safely to the sporting goods store and pick up a suppressor or two for your magnum caliber precision rifle...try that in the US. EV is a great fit for Norway because of exceptional hydro power generation capacity coupled with their petroleum industry-derived sovereign wealth funds and higher taxes = infrastructure....try that in the US. They are also a small country bordering Russia. Better or not is subjective.
In the US, particularly in cold regions lacking infrastructure, EV's are great for those with the passion but simply have too many limitations for me even if there was a super simple affordable EV truck, think 79-series LC with a 200hp equiv electric motor. [Does anyone build an EV with manual roll-up windows and door locks?]. I looked at F150 EV and not impressed. I cannot logically/cerebrally or physically connect a clean energy source with an EV in the Northern Rockies. I cannot confidently drive my kids to a ski race or other sport 300-400 miles away as I routinely do in bad winter weather where I actually wouldn't mind seeing more gas stations to be honest. Breakdowns would be more than inconvenience.
Norwegians have a realistic view on how to use their gas & oil profitably to improve Norway for Norwegians and also how to pay taxes and actually see a lot of results coming from their oil & gas and the high taxes they pay, a realistic EV charging infrastructure and robust rail network being only a couple of examples. They also all largely serve their country for a couple of years in the military or doing other essential civic duty. It's just different. They pay a lot of different kinds of taxes, flat base income tax rate of ~20% IIRC and everyone except the abject poor pay taxes (and for those folks, they provide help)....and they are basically banning new ICE vehicles from being sold starting in 2025. I should highlight that they tax their residents in the coldest and northernmost counties at lower rates due to various hardships and privations that come with living in rural, cold areas. Again, tough to compare to the way we dither in the US.

Excellent post and explanation of Norway. When they found their oil decades back they made a concerted decision to not become an oil based economy because they saw what happened to these countries. Bravo to them for still managing their wealth.
People will still ignore all the facts and truths you stated and think because it can be done there it can be done anywhere. As long as they don’t have to pay for it.

Excellent post and explanation of Norway. When they found their oil decades back they made a concerted decision to not become an oil based economy because they saw what happened to these countries. Bravo to them for still managing their wealth.
People will still ignore all the facts and truths you stated and think because it can be done there it can be done anywhere. As long as they don’t have to pay for it.
The mention of Norway was simply a response to the statement that EVs don’t work in cold weather. We can’t seem to have a conversation about actual EVs on this site without it divulging into political ideology or what-about-isms.

Science is not political, technology is not political, human advancement is not political. Polishing the narrative of nostalgia and stasis is.

I reserved one during the reveal, actually the wife did, I was driving. We were on our way to Death Valley and out of signal for a couple days. So we didn’t learn about the R3 till later, but it looks like the R2 would be a really good fit for us. More rugged and square than a Y but smaller than an R1, less unwieldy for urban life.

I don’t really see the R2 as a direct competitor to the model Y or any other current EV. Maybe the Solterra, given Subarus attention to traction, but that cars efficiency and charge rate make it nearly unusable for any FS road type overnight. All other current cross over type EVs are just chunky hatchbacks. The Y is just a fat 3.

The R2 and R3 may very well blow a hole in Subarus existing lineup though. Folks that are using a Subaru to get to trailheads and enjoy nature are likely the type of people taking climate change seriously. Definitely more so than Subaru has.

tacollie

Glamper
. Folks that are using a Subaru to get to trailheads and enjoy nature are likely the type of people taking climate change seriously.
This actually got me thinking. Everybody I know that is really concerned about climate change drive ICE. Everyone I know with an EV bought it because they can charge it at work for free or because it's really fast 🤣

XCvagn

Norway has an 82% take rate on EVs. Gets a bit chilly there.

Diesel passenger cars are pretty much over. The Prius was ending the Golf TDi before VW got caught cheating.

My first car was a diesel Rabbit. Fond memories.

Plus EVs in cold climates fair far better than Diesel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior