Nut Sizes

Geo14cux

Adventurer
Which is an irrelevant feature, unless you're dropping your vehicle from a helicopter or something.

The rest of the vehicle's reliability is far more important... So I think it's ridiculous for Land Rover to flaunt the size of its lugs, or studs, or whatever--- when their vehicles are at the bottom of the barrel for reliability. I don't see them making a plaque comparing their ratings in comparison to Ford and Jeep, not to mention Toyota.

verbal diearea
I have to say you really have no clue what you are talking about!

winkosmosis

Explorer
verbal diearea
I have to say you really have no clue what you are talking about!

Are you familiar with cognitive dissonance? The way that Land Rover fans will rationalize away the poor reliability of the vehicles is a textbook example. Jeepers do it too, but I think they're somewhat more honest with themselves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Rover stirred the pot with that plaque, and specifically targeted Jeep and Ford, so don't complain about me posting things like this:

Reliability.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The exploder and jeeps use a 1/2" stud and the landrover uses a 16mm, that is a 25% larger stud.
I thought they were 14mm studs?

Should I mention that even tho they are whimpy 12mm studs, my little 1/2 ton Hilux has 6 of them? And 6 is more than 5, right? ;-)

Last edited:
S

stu454

You ever seen a wheel stud break in normal 4x4 expedition use?

Are you going to answer my original question?

BTW, looking at you posting history one would think that you jump into other brand forums primarily to bash them.

And, yes it's obvious that a Rover took your lunch money when you were a kid; otherwise why all of the hate?

Edit: Earlier in the year you didn't bash other brands quite so much. What happened?

Last edited by a moderator:

winkosmosis

Explorer
Are you going to answer my original question?

BTW, looking at you posting history one would think that you jump into other brand forums primarily to bash them.

And, yes it's obvious that a Rover took your lunch money when you were a kid; otherwise why all of the hate?

Edit: Earlier in the year you didn't bash other brands quite so much. What happened?

I'm just grumpy. Edit: Now that I think about it, I only bash 2 brands, LR and Jeep... But the only time I can remember doing that on this board was when I made a joking quip in a "should I buy this" thread.
I love pointing out to my fellow Jeepers that Jeep didn't make offroad vehicles for a long time, until Hummer came along and embarassed them. For example, most XJs and TJs had no tow hooks, no skids, and crappy axles.

I just don't see how the diameter of the bolt really matters here. If you're putting enough force on the hub to break your 5 lugs, aren't you having much bigger problems?

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts/SAE_bolt_strength.html

Jeep lugs are 1/2". Even assuming they're crummy grade 2 (I don't know what grade they are), that's 10,500lb tensile strength, per bolt. The 16mm (5/8) is 16,700lb. How would you exceed either of these values for all 5 lugs on a single wheel?

I don't know how to interpret the shear strength values. What exactly is a PSI? A 1/2" grade 2 bolt has 1470 PSI shear strength. The 16mm (5/8) is 2300 PSI.

Last edited:
S

stu454

I understand about being grumpy; I've been old-man cranky since I was about 19.:costumed-smiley-007

jham

Adventurer
I, personally, am amazed that you can show a picture of some lug nuts to a group of adults and they'll find a way to argue about whose truck is stronger, more reliable, etc.

"My nuts are bigger than yours." "So! If the size of the nut matters, then the rest of your truck is a hunk of poop!" "My truck rules." "Nuh uh, I found a cool little chart on reliability that proves mine is better!"

Grow up.

larrynsr

I, personally, am amazed that you can show a picture of some lug nuts to a group of adults and they'll find a way to argue about whose truck is stronger, more reliable, etc.

"My nuts are bigger than yours." "So! If the size of the nut matters, then the rest of your truck is a hunk of poop!" "My truck rules." "Nuh uh, I found a cool little chart on reliability that proves mine is better!"

Grow up.

NO kidding! I originally thought it was funny....and was not meant for brand bashing. Didn't know it was going to go this far! :rally_guys:

RoverMack

Adventurer
Hey maybe I can point something out to you...you are wrong.

The exploder and jeeps use a 1/2" stud and the landrover uses a 16mm, that is a 25% larger stud. Allthough the marketing part was about the size of the lugs the truth is the stud it threads onto is what makes it stronger.

This same stud is used on the 1 ton rated defender 110's. So it is clearly superior in design to the small Ford and Jeep stuff.

I was wrong, i certainly did not know that it was same stud size as the 1 ton 110's ( i have certainly changed enough LR wheels :ylsmoke:)

michaelgroves

Explorer
I wonder what proportion of Land Rovers are used off-road, compared to other vehicles on that chart? And how much impact off-road use would have on reliability?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
That's a very good question. I can say with certainty, that when I was doing the engineering on the front end accessories, Land Rover had some off-road tests that were far and away more severe than any other manufacturer I know of. Their durability testing required driving through deep mud. No ball bearing on the market could go the distance after being subjected to that. It destroys the seals and then the grease gets out and it's all over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12