OBD II reader. Best bang for the buck?

Ranchero

Wanderer
I have a Scan Gage 2 that I move between my FZJ80 and Subaru-powered Syncro. Super-easy to move. To get some of the gage features to work (like MPH and MPG) you have to take a few minutes to make some adjustments. Otherwise, all code reading features work seamlessly.

98GP

Observer
Absolutely, if it is a modern vehicle. These days you can talk to every device in the vehicle through the OBD2 interface - you just need the right hardware and software. What make / model / year are you specifically wondering about?

2005 Ford Excursion (Check engine light is on and I hate relying on the Parts store guy to read and clear codes)
2006 Ford Freestar (currently having issues with the transmission, I think? ...no service lights on the dash however...)
2002 Ford Focus

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know if the Bluetooth OBD readers have software to work on my laptop?

I have a laptop with bluetooth, but not a smartphone.

Thanks,
-Dan

oldestof11

Observer
D

Deleted member 9101

I was wondering how well that app worked, ordering one right now!

'cause I have been borrowing my buddy's scan tool.

You can also set up profiles for your different vehicles. Its a neat little tool to use while you are going down the road, you can see each sensor and what it is reading.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I think I have decided on a hyper tech it will allow to read and clear codes and adjust the speedometer for tires up to 54".

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

aardvarcus

Adventurer
I have an ultragauge in my car, it is great for real time monitoring of engine temps, MPG, speed (you can adjust for oversized tires), etcetera. And of course you can read codes, even pending ones before they throw a check engine light. Even better, you can drive around and know exactly what is happening when the codes set, and you can have an alarm for pending codes. Plugs right into OBD-2.

Clutch

<---Pass
For the Torque Pro, how do you figure what percentage of volume efficiency to input? It says 85% is what most are, but my mpg readings seem to be way off [too high].
Did a bit of reading up on it, it says to adjust the volume efficiency before you alter the MPG trim adjustment.

There is a volume efficiency gauge, do I set it at max what my truck can produce or the average what I drive? Max seems about 60% shifting at 5000 rpm....while I normally shift at 2500 which pulls in the mid twenties percentile.

oldestof11

Observer
This is one reason I like Dash command. It uses fuel lbs/hr vs odometer reading to get a damn accurate MPG reading.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I have a Scan Gage 2 that I move between my FZJ80 and Subaru-powered Syncro. Super-easy to move. To get some of the gage features to work (like MPH and MPG) you have to take a few minutes to make some adjustments. Otherwise, all code reading features work seamlessly.
Another vote for Scan Gage 2
Leave it in the vehicle all the time. Love the trip features. Do have to look up what the codes mean but reads them just fine. You can program it to monitor just about any feature on the engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998