Off Grid Trailers

OlderGuy

This is a bit of an older post, but it looks like no one gave you any answers...

Water filtration -
I just use a regular inline filter that attaches directly to the hose. You can pick them up at any camper shop, and many regular hardware stores.

That being said, we don't actually drink the water from the tank. All of our drinking water gets run through a Lifesaver jerrycan. One of the best investments I've ever made!

Power -
The most I was really able to manage fully "off grid" from the stock electrical system was about 2 days. That is if there is no charging available at all.
The stock system leaves a lot be to desired so yes, I did feel the need to upgrade to:
  • (2) 100Ah BattleBorn LiFePO4 batteries - these have more than double the usable capacity of the stock batteries.
  • Redarc BCDC1212 charger - this runs directly off of the 7-pin connector (no additional wiring necessary) and keeps the batteries charged up during long driving days. If you will be driving multiple days in a row, especially in hot weather, it's vital to be able to charge while driving.
  • Victron 100/30 solar controller fed by 280 watts of panels - in full sun this will top up the previous nights usage before noon.
Laptops are your big battery killers. We would generally wait to charge those until the batteries were full and the charge controller was "floating", i.e. all the power from the panels just goes straight to the laptop, with no draw from your batteries.

Bear in mind that your fridge doesn't actually run 24\7. Temp is going to have a pretty major effect on power usage, but it is never running all the time (and they are shockingly efficient).

With this setup, charging at least one laptop every day, and sometimes 2, and being somewhat diligent about usage otherwise, we can pull 4 days without any inputs - probably 5 if I knew for sure I could get a full charge at the end of that day.

If the sun is shining, the only limit is water.
Thank you VERY much!
EXACTLY the information that I was looking for !

Jseda3g

Anyone running an ikamper mini on their trailer? I'm going to have to mount mine backwards for the kitchen and 270 awning.

Jseda3g

Also, anyone running a REDARC BCDC1212T in their trailer? I upgraded to the single lithium 100ah and will only be running my fridge and trailer interior/exterior lights as needed.

DRAX

Also, anyone running a REDARC BCDC1212T in their trailer? I upgraded to the single lithium 100ah and will only be running my fridge and trailer interior/exterior lights as needed.

Not sure if you're set on Redarc, but I'm running the Victron 18A isolated DC-DC charger in mine - - and it's worked great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior