Official thread - Maya Rally Registration Registration Details and Latest Updates

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I know it's hard, I just don't want to jinx it...

Looks like we are a going to have a "urban camp" right in the middle of the city, with enough (tight) space for everyone. we would have the space for the nights of the 10th and 11th - and then everyone will start the rally on the 12th. we are planning a bunch of activities during that period...

:)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
the good news just keeps coming...

:wings:

In addition to a professional photographer, we now have a professional cinematographer on board too.

Enrique is leaving (selling) his home in NC and all of his possessions to embark on a journey that will take him all the way to South America. He will be leading the videography portion of this event and will bring his equipment with him (sounds, lights, etc).

No doubt that we will have a lot of great footage to share and it should make for a very entertaining documentary! I will give Enrique the email of each participants so he can contact you and see what equipment people brings, and who want to share footage with him. I think we already have a couple teams with GoPro so that's pretty awesome - having some aerial footage would alse be great!

Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I thought it would also be a good time to share a note about sponsorship and motives for this event.

At least for this first edition, I have tried to stay away from solliciting sponsorships from our vendors for a variety of reasons.
There is already a lot of commercial ventures out there and there is often chats on the forum about how everything has changed.

My hope is that this rally would stay more "grass root" and back to the foundation of overlanding, which is to go out, explore and experience.

I intentionally tried to keep the entry fee low so this would not be a reason not to participate - the total budget gives us about $30-$40/person to spend at each party, so not a whole lot. That covers the camping for2 nights, the dinners, the band, a couple drinks, etc.

I am really excited about this unique adventure which I hope will allow a bunch of us to discover another side of Mexico, develop new friendship and have a lot of fun. No doubt there will be some breakdown, maybe some drama, some disappointments but also some excitment, some awesome memories and an authentic overland experience for all of us.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Christian.. I believe I have SPOT on the verge of supplying units for participants and I am hoping that I can get them to supply tracking for all of them, maybe we can set up something as mentioned in other threads that will give some additional comfort of security etc to those concerned.. I have spoken to the marketing manager and she has sent me a form to be filled out, I am not sure on some of the questions and I don't want to overstep my bounds (as I am told I do too often already..LOL..).. shall I just go for it or can I just send it to you to be filled out...shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes for a man of your numerous talents...;))

iMTB

Adventurer
I really want to do this but I am worried about the costs involved on such a short notice (I just found out about the event).

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
yes please send me the form. I do agree it would be very nice to have SPOT for all participants. We have worked with them a lot at OJ so that should help.

Christian.. I believe I have SPOT on the verge of supplying units for participants and I am hoping that I can get them to supply tracking for all of them, maybe we can set up something as mentioned in other threads that will give some additional comfort of security etc to those concerned.. I have spoken to the marketing manager and she has sent me a form to be filled out, I am not sure on some of the questions and I don't want to overstep my bounds (as I am told I do too often already..LOL..).. shall I just go for it or can I just send it to you to be filled out...shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes for a man of your numerous talents...;))

aka rover

Adventurer
I really want to do this but I am worried about the costs involved on such a short notice (I just found out about the event).

I would think the only cost difference on such short notice would be vehical prep! The distance and time away is the same, so join on in and lets have some fun.

Ed

kbeefy

Adventurer

Costs involved if your driving a '06 Jeep would be pretty minimal. Entry fee, travel and accommodation expenses. You gotta eat anyways, camping is mostly free, plot your course, figure your mileage, add $1000 for whatever and hit the road! The only thing you might inccur as a late joiner is a slightly higher entry fee.

iMTB

Adventurer
Before driving that distance my Jeep would need new ball joints as well. Lower are only about $50 but upper are connected to the a-arms so about $400 for the ones I want. Is the entry fee per vehicle or per person?

aka rover

Adventurer
Well I tried to buy my permit on line for the Rover in Mexico.... looks like my 9 number vin is a little to short?... like 8 numbers to be exact. oh well looks like Ill have to buy it when I get to the boarder!

Im gettting excited here people.. we must be nuts to take off this much time to just to see the world stop turning, I mean come on you guys remember Y2K!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12