Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

DrMoab

Explorer
Where is Kuna Idaho? I drive all over idaho for a living and I've never been there. I can vouch for the rain though. In Driggs today and it's been snowing.

Love your trailer. Can't wait to see it out in the boonies.

XJBANKER

Explorer
Get it rolling by august and comE to our geostash event in the Uintas in Utah you Cherokee and trailer would fit right in

stomperxj

Explorer
Where is Kuna Idaho? I drive all over idaho for a living and I've never been there. I can vouch for the rain though. In Driggs today and it's been snowing. Love your trailer. Can't wait to see it out in the boonies.

Thanks Ryan... Kuna is about 8 miles south of Meridian and about 18 miles south west of Boise. It used to be small when i moved there in 86, about 1200 people, Now we're approaching 13,000...

Get it rolling by august and comE to our geostash event in the Uintas in Utah you Cherokee and trailer would fit right in

I'll definitely think about that XJB. I'm shooting for about 6 more weeks to be at least camp worthy ;)

Mother nature decided to not bring any rain today so i got a few more things done. Got the fenders temporarily mounted, tail light boxes temporarily mounted and drilled the frame for the marker lights. I was being Captain Overkill today... (4) 1/4-20 bolts and (22) #10x1/2" screws to hold on each fender. I dont think they will fall off :)

4uedWnS.jpg

I also took a couple snaps before it went back into storage

X3e9ixV.jpg

WFTteIj.jpg

More next weekend. I'm hopefully going to spray some primer in the next 2 weeks barring any more rainstorms...

Jess

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Dang. I pumped to see some more progress on this trailer. This is one of my favorite builds and I'm glad you're able to get back to it. Thanks again for sharing, and I can't wait to see more.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Thanks Ryan... Kuna is about 8 miles south of Meridian and about 18 miles south west of Boise. It used to be small when i moved there in 86, about 1200 people, Now we're approaching 13,000...
Whoa! I just realized that we are practically neighbors. I'm just across the river in Ontario. I just might get the chance to see your work of art some time?
You are more than welcome to set up camp on any of our trips. :victory:

MrBeast

Explorer
Man I am glad to see you working on this thing again. :wings:

The sawtooth was just way too cool to die.

(notice I did not say too big to fail!) :victory:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I've got no interest in building a trailer, but find myself checking into your build from time to time...

Gotta say, that pic of it behind your Cherokee really gives some perspective. That is one cool looking trailer.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

gasman

Adventurer
you know... i have always thought that teardrops were cool, but could not see myself in one .. until now.. that thing is ************ to the core and behind the xj even more... good job man !!!!!!!!!!

sapper

Adventurer
Thanks for taking an hour of my time to read this entire thread. All I can say is WOW. I am very impressed and also looking forward to seeing the final result. Keep up the great work.

T>D>C

Tiny Campers

Great build! Your craftsmanship is inspirational. This build really makes me want to build one just to see if I can do it. I LOVE your design and the build is cool man!

Having said that, what is the appeal to these tiny campers (other than their tow-ability). Again the designs are awesome. I dig the whole kitchen tucked in the back thing. But why is this better than a tent that cost next to nothing and I can stand up in, put cots in, et, et.

Again, I dig it. I just want to get your $0.02.

Thanks,

T>D>C

stomperxj

Explorer
Great build! Your craftsmanship is inspirational. This build really makes me want to build one just to see if I can do it. I LOVE your design and the build is cool man!

Having said that, what is the appeal to these tiny campers (other than their tow-ability). Again the designs are awesome. I dig the whole kitchen tucked in the back thing. But why is this better than a tent that cost next to nothing and I can stand up in, put cots in, et, et.

Again, I dig it. I just want to get your $0.02.

Thanks,

T>D>C

Thanks TDC for the compliments. The big attractions for me to this type of setup is that its completely weatherproof if the weather turns bad while camping, it extends the camping season into colder months because it is insulated and can be heated very easily, if i want to break camp and head out i can do so way faster than breaking down a tent.... plus i thrive on building and fabrication so its a labor of love...

Good questions though :)

More updates!!

Second coat of CPES is done, added a receiver tube to the frame, capped the frame corners, wired for tail lights, sanded more and i sprayed primer this weekend :) Nicole even got in on the welding action... Dad installed a winch in the shop so that made it pretty easy to lift the body off the frame...

LV0fmRc.jpg

BbNnB6r.jpg

MgGpOB3.jpg

Primer is done! I am changing my game plan for the finish coat. I'm not sure to what yet but automotive paint is friggin expensive. $94 for sandable primer with hardener and reducer :shock:

I'm thinking Marine topside paint or something like that, that has good UV protection. Any suggestions are welcome!

More next weekend hopefully

Jess

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger