Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Jess,

I just read all 41 pages like a good book! Amazing build man! You sure had to overcome alot, and it was good to see you finally using it. I cant wait to see V2.0 come alive! :elkgrin:
Cheers and safe travels!

Paul

stomperxj

Explorer
Jess,

I just read all 41 pages like a good book! Amazing build man! You sure had to overcome alot, and it was good to see you finally using it. I cant wait to see V2.0 come alive! :elkgrin:
Cheers and safe travels!

Paul

Thanks Paul-
It was quite the journey but I made it to the end. I'll be pulling out the trailer in a couple months to get it prepped for the summer camp season. Hopefully the next trailer build will start sometime early 2012. I have some good ideas for the next one. Its going to be bigger, badder and even more of a challenge to build but should be fun...

And again thanks to all my online friends who followed this thread and encouraged me along the way. It was a big help. If we ever meet up, I'll by you guys a beer... just not all at once :)

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

Jess

1speed

Explorer
...I have some good ideas for the next one. Its going to be bigger, badder and even more of a challenge to build but should be fun...

Jess

Careful now, my new trailer has become 10 times the amount work I thought it would be. :Wow1:

I figured I'd be at least half done by now but I'll be lucky if I'm a fourth done. And of course I'm into it for WAY more money than I thought I would be !

Interested to see your new project.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
I can imagine everyone's undies hanging off this line while you are out camping. It just may keep the tourists away though. :sombrero:

enlarged.jpg%20}

What clothes hanger? :wings:

Bad points:
The bed is a little short. I'm about 5'11" and it could stand to be about 6" longer

Well if that is a design defect - I would gladly take it off your hands... :)
So you can make gen-II.

Great job Jess!
Loved following your build, thanks for sharing.

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
I can't wait to see another build. This one was so good I can't imagine what a new one will be like. Bring it on... :smiley_drive:

stomperxj

Explorer
Careful now, my new trailer has become 10 times the amount work I thought it would be. :Wow1:

I figured I'd be at least half done by now but I'll be lucky if I'm a fourth done. And of course I'm into it for WAY more money than I thought I would be !

Interested to see your new project.

Your new trailer is 100% awesome though Jim :) Can't wait to see it done. I'm hoping to stay in the $5k range on the next one... We'll see how that works out :)

Great job Jess!
Loved following your build, thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

I can't wait to see another build. This one was so good I can't imagine what a new one will be like. Bring it on... :smiley_drive:

Thanks HB...

I'm trying to work a deal on a house that is at auction right now. The good part will be there is plenty of room for a shop in the back... the bad news is the new trailer build would be put on hold for awhile longer...

Jess

pods8

Explorer
You selling off your old one when you build the new one?

I'm not asking because I'm interested in it, I'm more curious how a quality build that has been well documented would fair on the for sale market down the road if need be. While discussing my potential build with the wife she had posed the same query to me and I hypothesized that as long as it was a proven build that was appealing in design to others there would always be someone interested out there.

stomperxj

Explorer
:xxrotflma

I thought you'd get a kick out of that one Jim :)

You selling off your old one when you build the new one?

I'm not asking because I'm interested in it, I'm more curious how a quality build that has been well documented would fair on the for sale market down the road if need be. While discussing my potential build with the wife she had posed the same query to me and I hypothesized that as long as it was a proven build that was appealing in design to others there would always be someone interested out there.

Yes I'll probably be selling this one when its time to build the next one. I have way too many hours into it than can be counted but I suspect I'll get more out of it than the material cost anyway...

Jess

pods8

Explorer
Yes I'll probably be selling this one when its time to build the next one. I have way too many hours into it than can be counted but I suspect I'll get more out of it than the material cost anyway...

Jess

The hours thing always happens that way with personal projects but since we aren't buisnesses we don't need to be so concerned about that. But recovering capital costs is a nice thing, any extra for the effort is a perk on something you've enjoyed for a bit.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
This came out so nicely. I had been following it a lot at first then I had a kid and took a step away from the OHV thing for a while, glad to see it done and you using it!

stomperxj

Explorer
This came out so nicely. I had been following it a lot at first then I had a kid and took a step away from the OHV thing for a while, glad to see it done and you using it!

Good to have you back Drew... and thanks for the comments. I looked at your trailer build probably 100 times for inspiration while designing and building mine. Always loved your build :)

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
I was wondering how the 2x2x.120 frame is holding up. I've been sketching up a more traditional shaped teardrop(although small and galleyless) similar to the So-Cal "buzz off". Their road model uses 2x2x.90 while the off-road version uses 2x3x.120. As I'm planning to "TRY" to stay under 1000lbs I was hoping to hear good things about the 2x2x.120.

stomperxj

Explorer
I was wondering how the 2x2x.120 frame is holding up. I've been sketching up a more traditional shaped teardrop(although small and galleyless) similar to the So-Cal "buzz off". Their road model uses 2x2x.90 while the off-road version uses 2x3x.120. As I'm planning to "TRY" to stay under 1000lbs I was hoping to hear good things about the 2x2x.120.

No issues yet... I think the .120 wall tube is a good compromise between strength and light weight. I plan on using it on the next trailer and its quite a bit bigger than the Sawtooth...

jzbilodeau

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to get some dimensions of the trailer and the size of the tires you are running on it. I apologize if this has been asked before. This would be great.
Thanks!
Jesse

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12