Oh my God, it's a Land Cruiser - Sedona Greasy Spoon 23 OCT 10

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
That pretty much sums up the highlight of the trip for me!

Attendees:
Us in the Cactus Red Power Wagon
Hltoppr and his daughter in his soon to be legendary LC100
Fregie and his daughter in his well setup LC80
AZCPP and Theresa in the Rubicon - nuff said!

It had been years since I'd been all the way thru Greasy Spoon. While the technical challenges are sparse, the scenery more than makes up for it. The weather was awesome - a great contrast from our usual blue Sky's.

In the last canyon heading from west to east, there is a slightly rough hill climb. As we started up the hill, we saw heads start to pop up over the crest - soon there was a large crowd of tourists from the Pink Jeep tours watching us come up the hill. I didn't know that Greasy Spool was being so heavily used by the tour groups.

We were in the front with the bone stock LC100 behind us. I mean bone stock - running boards, plastic skids or covers intact. As we passed a loaded Pink Jeep, one of it's Lady passengers exclaimed:

OH MY GOD! It's a Land Cruiser!

One can only wonder if she has one at home!

Again, it had been years since I went thru to Boynton Pass/Dry Creek. As I recollect, it had been at least 8 years. We had thought about going up to Van Duren Cabin on Vultee Arch road. When we hit pavement about a mile past the exit of Greasy Spoon, I knew things had changed. I didn't recognize a thing from there into town. Never did see the turn to the Arch - my GPS is several years outdated on maps, and I'd only input the turn to the Cabin. I was effectively lost in a suburb of Sedona! Oh well...

After some great eats and conversation at the Oak Creek brewery, we went our different ways. Thanks to all of you for spending a day with us!

From our position up front we didn't take any trail photos - just scenery!

Mark & Tami

Attachments

• the group.JPG
    the group.JPG
    351.7 KB · Views: 142
  • gs  1.JPG
    gs 1.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 34
  • gs 2.JPG
    gs 2.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 31
  • gs 3.JPG
    gs 3.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 29
  • gs 4.JPG
    gs 4.JPG
    309.3 KB · Views: 24
  • gs 5.JPG
    gs 5.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 33

AZCPP

Adventurer
Here are some picture's T. got yesterday. Thanks Mark and Tami for putting this together. It's alway's a pleasure to see you two.
First some art!
DSCN1991.jpg

DSCN1992.jpg

DSCN1971.jpg

DSCN1972.jpg

DSCN1982.jpg

DSCN1985.jpg

DSCN1997.jpg

DSCN2001.jpg

Last edited:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
And my contribution to the thread...
Misc022.jpg

The new hottness:
Misc024.jpg

And the two read headed cuties playing around while we aired up!
Misc026.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
Very nice-often times these types of trips are the most enjoyable and relaxing as there isn't the level of preparation needed for them as you would find on a camp trip.

I'd like to drive that road someday...

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Looks like it was a great trip! Thanks for sharing the pics... About the Land Cruiser comment, it is funny because I got that exact same comment from a Pink Jeep passenger the last I did Greasy Spoon as well. Again, I am sure they have one at home that has never any more dirt that the dust the blows across the 101 on a windy day. haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12