Ohio hidden compartment law

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The key here is "non-factory" hidden compartment. Creating a void in the dash or floor, or where ever, opened electrically or hydraulically by an array of switch positions, etc., to transport currency, guns, or drugs is inviting trouble. For those that travel to and from Mexico and Canada, know that concealing merchandise, or contraband inside the vehicle, be it in a factory space or void, or custom compartment will subject your vehicle to seizure. Even if the space is an empty, non factory hidden compartment it is considered prima facie evidence of attempted smuggling and your vehicle is subject to seizure. Not a fine, not a ticket, but seizure and forfeiture of your vehicle.

nemoaz

Observer
Actually, the key is to not use it for or make it with the intent to traffic drugs or to not be a convicted drug trafficker with a (non-stock) hidden compartment.

(B) No person shall knowingly design, build, construct, or fabricate a vehicle with a hidden compartment, or modify or alter any portion of a vehicle in order to create or add a hidden compartment, with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(C) No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(D) No person who has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of aggravated trafficking in drugs under section 2925.03 of the Revised Code that is a felony of the first or second degree shall operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment.

And it specifically does not apply to any of the legal uses that I can imagine:

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

keezer37

Explorer
Just put a sign on the inside of your hidden compartment stating you do not intend to use this hidden compartment to transport a controlled substance and you should be good to go. Keep your gun in there just in case.

plumber mike

Adventurer
.....and if they find the drugs, well then it's not a secret anymore:coffeedrink:

I cannot believe the taxpayers are forced to pay people to think this stuff up:snorkel:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It doesn't matter.
-
If you drive through NY, NJ, OH, IL, RI, Mass, GA, Maine, or CT......then you're a felon. It's impossible for law abiding, good people to follow the massive amount of laws of these states. You need a good lawyer and a sober judge to survive in these states. It's likely a felony to stand under a blue sky in NJ.
-
I'm not sure how much more of this Americans will take.

h4rdflip

Observer
So my BMW F650GS came with a dual pipe setup, I upgraded to a single one and added a fake second one for storage when I had the bike, so I guess that fall under the same law.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
It doesn't matter.
-
If you drive through NY, NJ, OH, IL, RI, Mass, GA, Maine, or CT......then you're a felon. It's impossible for law abiding, good people to follow the massive amount of laws of these states. You need a good lawyer and a sober judge to survive in these states. It's likely a felony to stand under a blue sky in NJ.
-

As long as they do not take away Miley Cyrus, the Super Bowl, American Idol etc etc...the majority of Americans will continue to take it.

Expedition Leader
It doesn't matter.
-
-

I agree completely, but:

As long as they do not take away Miley Cyrus, the Super Bowl, American Idol etc etc...the majority of Americans will continue to take it.

Unfortunately this is the crux of the matter.

Emigration is beginning to look more and more attractive with each passing year.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I hate to mention her name but when is Miley going to go away. Cant stand see her ugly face every time I turn on tv or internet.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I agree completely, but:

Unfortunately this is the crux of the matter.

Emigration is beginning to look more and more attractive with each passing year.

To where...?
I agree but don't see many places more appealing...
Just hoping I can live out my time in the western US...

Expedition Leader
To where...?
I agree but don't see many places more appealing...
Just hoping I can live out my time in the western US...

Well you're right in that anywhere else is going to be a compromise of some sort.

We're thinking mostly of Ireland, because: a) I've lived there for years at a time previously and loved it, b) wife is from Scotland and likes Ireland better, c) they don't have a standing army, so they can't invade other countries or kill people with drones, and all the drain on taxes that those entail, and d) they are very much "live and let live", i.e. the Gardaí (only police force in the whole country) are still old-school, small-town friendly and tend to look the other way and let you be unless you go on an axe-murdering spree or something. There are more personal reasons, but these are the main pluses.

The only real negatives (for me) are the onerous restrictions on firearm ownership and the relatively high taxes if you make any income there - but their corporate taxes are lower than the U.S. if you have a business, and retiring there (without earning more income) is very doable and welcomed/encouraged. And as far as firearm ownership goes, violent crime and even burglary is almost unknown there, more especially if you are away from the larger cities.

We are looking at buying a house there anyway, and living at least half of the year or more there, with the possibility of naturalizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan