Ohio hidden compartment law

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The law is to only to target "trap vehicles" which are special modified to carry contraband. The "trap" is a specially made compartment that is undetectable unless a complex series of actions are performed
“meaning you needed to perform a series of events in the correct order, and the the false floor seats or taillights would then pop out, revealing the secret compartment.”

These actions can be stepping on the brake , putting on the left turn signal , turning the radio to a certain station, putting the parking lights all in the right order. I've seen hundred of these "traps" and they are quiet ingenious .

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'd think every vehicle will have "hidden" areas, they are built that way. There is dead space all over a vehicle, door panels, under the seat motor above the floor, post trim, behind a glove box, in a dome light, in the air box, inner-outer fenders, everywhere! I guess they have to find something in a space that doesn't belong there before they could really say it was a hidden compartment???
Otherwise, anyone could get nailed for having a hidden space. Hopefully it's selective enforcement.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The law is to only to target "trap vehicles" which are special modified to carry contraband. The "trap" is a specially made compartment that is undetectable unless a complex series of actions are performed
“meaning you needed to perform a series of events in the correct order, and the the false floor seats or taillights would then pop out, revealing the secret compartment.”

These actions can be stepping on the brake , putting on the left turn signal , turning the radio to a certain station, putting the parking lights all in the right order. I've seen hundred of these "traps" and they are quiet ingenious .

Every single RV I've ever been in has had a "trap" in it to secretly store firearms. Even though they usually were stowed in a legal fashion, you don't exactly want them easy to spot in an RV.

So what's the fine for a "secret glovebox"?

mustangwarrior

Adventurer
Yea, i think he must have obviously been suspicious, and i like how they showed the new chevy with a taillight mounted on actuators, his was probably jerry-rigged considering they "found" suspicious wires and followed them, we've all got lights, winches, compressors and those all add lots of additional "non-factory" wiring, once again i think it is just a case of the media twisting things for a good story

besides, who needs to smuggle something through ohio anyway, our great state of un-inspected junk will let you get away with just about anything you drive down the road

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
What part of
"The "trap" is a specially made compartment that is undetectable unless a complex series of actions are performed

These actions can be stepping on the brake , putting on the left turn signal , turning the radio to a certain station, putting the parking lights all in the right order. I've seen hundred of these "traps" and they are quiet ingenious . "

is not being understood ? There are many natural voids on a vehicle but they are not usually easily assessable. By modifying them to hold contraband and then fabricating a complex series of actions to cause the "trap" to open make it illegal.

kingg5

Adventurer
Thats pretty lame. I have a special hides-hole spot that's big enough for my 30-30, that is getting a locking steel door. That's to combat CA law about carrying arms. Guess I will make a sticker for it if I ever drive through Ohio...

Brought to you by Cyberdyne Systems
that law would not apply to someone from out of state, same as californias law about modifying your vehicle...they cannot give you a ticket if your from out of state.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
here we go

"WKYC-TV reports 30-year-old Norman Gurley was originally pulled over for speeding in Lorain County Tuesday when State Highway Patrol troopers noticed wires running to the back of his car.

“During the search, they noticed some components inside the vehicle that did not appear to be factory,” Lt. Michael Combs told WKYC.
Even though Gurley did not have any illegal drugs or weapons in the car, he was still arrested due to the state's “hidden compartment” law, becoming the first person to be arrested under this law in the state"

****** is this sht!

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/11/22/ohio-man-arrested-for-having-hidden-compartment-in-car/

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
here we go

"WKYC-TV reports 30-year-old Norman Gurley was originally pulled over for speeding in Lorain County Tuesday when State Highway Patrol troopers noticed wires running to the back of his car.

“During the search, they noticed some components inside the vehicle that did not appear to be factory,” Lt. Michael Combs told WKYC.
Even though Gurley did not have any illegal drugs or weapons in the car, he was still arrested due to the state's “hidden compartment” law, becoming the first person to be arrested under this law in the state"

****** is this sht!

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2013/11/22/ohio-man-arrested-for-having-hidden-compartment-in-car/

Sure, the OSP just fell out of the sky and landed on Mr. Gurley's car, purely by random happenstance, and he was doing nothing at all that brought him to the attention of LE, because that happens all the time. Mr. Gurley should abide by the adage, "don't start nothin, won't be nothin", hence, don't mule drugs and proceeds between points A and B, and then the OSP won't pull you over to check your compartment.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I especially like this part

"Combs (officer) says the compartment was big enough to hold several pounds of drugs.
“We apparently caught them between runs, so to speak, so this takes away one tool they have in their illegal trade,” Combs told WKYC. “The law does help us and is on our side."

Timothynaustin

Observer
Unfortunately Due to Oxygen thieves most Govt and Police Departments have created laws we feel impede our rights??
But what we must consider is the following.
Criminals need to be caught.
Laws are needed!!
Our Families have to be protected from all forms of criminals and we as Fathers and Mothers, Granfathers and Granmothers cannot protect our kids ALONE.
I for one Salute all the Men and Women world wide who with (us) in mind put on a Uniform and risk Life and Limb ( Daily ) to Serve and Protect us all!! God Bless them one and All!!
Ok we think some laws are restrictive BUT are we thinking of the bigger picture. Police are Mostly very thoughtfull People and are most likely to follow the laws in a resonable way.

Hidden compartments I am sure mean a place to store Illegal products and we must remember these products are Killing our Kids and poising Society as a whole, We just need to look at what Irresponsible drinking does in the form of Litter and rubish?? How many camp spots are ruined by Drinkers who do not have respect for others??

Anyway Sorry to rant, on a Lighter note.Merry Christmas to one and all and above all Stay Safe and Travel well.
Cheers Tim A

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Unfortunately Due to Oxygen thieves most Govt and Police Departments have created laws we feel impede our rights??
But what we must consider is the following.
Criminals need to be caught.
Laws are needed!!
Our Families have to be protected from all forms of criminals and we as Fathers and Mothers, Granfathers and Granmothers cannot protect our kids ALONE.
I for one Salute all the Men and Women world wide who with (us) in mind put on a Uniform and risk Life and Limb ( Daily ) to Serve and Protect us all!! God Bless them one and All!!
Ok we think some laws are restrictive BUT are we thinking of the bigger picture. Police are Mostly very thoughtfull People and are most likely to follow the laws in a resonable way.

Hidden compartments I am sure mean a place to store Illegal products and we must remember these products are Killing our Kids and poising Society as a whole, We just need to look at what Irresponsible drinking does in the form of Litter and rubish?? How many camp spots are ruined by Drinkers who do not have respect for others??

Anyway Sorry to rant, on a Lighter note.Merry Christmas to one and all and above all Stay Safe and Travel well.
Cheers Tim A

First of all, Happy Christmas to you as well. :)

Sir, your post almost reads as sarcasm to this American, but I don't think that's how you meant it and am thus taking it as a seriously written commentary.

I hear what you're saying and get where you're coming from, but that's not how the U.S. is supposed to work.

Drugs are already illegal. It doesn't make them any more illegal to ban the use of secret compartments to transport them, nor would it add any significant punishment to the crime of narcotic possession/distribution. To ban the use of secret compartments is nothing more than a weak-minded attempt to show constituents that the state legislature is doing something to fight crime. We call this feel-good legislation, because that's essentially all it is.

Either you are breaking the law by transporting drugs or you are not. The government has no valid reason for creating laws saying that transporting an illegal substance in a hidden compartment is any more illegal than if you had the narcotics lying on your front seat.

You're from Australia, so you may be unfamiliar with both this quote and the man who said it, but I believe it's very appropriate in response to your post.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

This is the ethos of the United States, which in this day and age, seems to be perverted more and more. We do not give up the freedom of doing something -- in this case to our own property -- in the interest of making something already illegal just a little bit more illegal. I'm not going to get into it, but I also want to touch on what a slippery slope this law is as to what the "intention" of the vehicle's owner/operator is.

One more thing. I realize that this isn't quite how you meant it when you said, "Our Families have to be protected from all forms of criminals and we as Fathers and Mothers, Granfathers and Granmothers cannot protect our kids ALONE," but I would like to direct your attention to the U.S. Supreme Court case Castle Rock v. Gonsales. In effect, the police and government are NOT responsible for a citizen's protection. That onus lies with the individual.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
"I'm not going to get into it, but I also want to touch on what a slippery slope this law is as to what the "intention" of the vehicle's owner/operator is."

There is no "slippery slope". The intended use (that word "intent" again") is easily proven. Most hidden compartments are found through the use of a trained and certified narcotics K9. That initial indication (K9 alert to the compartment and resultant probable cause for a search without warrant) is regularly backed up with a simple swab of the interior of the compartment and a ion scan of the swab, demonstrating that the compartment is/was used to transport narcotics, or the physical presence of visible (measurable and testable) residue. Normally, that car is then seized as an "instrumentality" of the commission of a felony, and destroyed. Most states have had laws on the books for decades covering vehicles used such, and the presence of compartments. This is nothing new.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Thank you for proving my argument that this is a superfluous law. As for the slippery slope of intent, I think you missed the point.

Last edited:

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Who's to say that the compartment is not there to store drugs in outside the owner's house? Then there is no proof of transport, which I believe is the point of the law.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan