OK4WD Daily Driver / Overland Rubicon

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Rino, About your roof rack. I am aware that its the AEV rack but I was looking at a different type of RTT to use. Along the lines of the Tepui and CVT type tents. Would they still be able to mount to that rack fairly easy? Im glad I have read through the last few pages about the roof racks because I was going to go with the Gobi Stealth rack but I dont have a softop and dont ever want one due to the equiptment I will have inside the Jeep. Also is there any specific kayak mounts and mountain bike mounts for the AEV rack that I can use while I am not carrying the tent?

With soft shell tents it is usually best to use just a cross bar setup to ease the removal and installation of the cover bag. The AEV and Pioneer systems can use all of Rhino Rack's accessories which are almost endless.

I would highly recommend the 3 HD bar Back Bone system from Rhino Rack for your setup, also if you are interested I can help you with a promo code for Expo members!

rino

Had a chance to put the BFGoodrich KO2's through a little testing at NORA in the Catskill Mountains of New York. NORA (North East Off Road Adventures) is a top level off-road and recovery training school who instructs with I4WDTA instructors.

A few customers and myself partook in the Advanced Recovery class, it is amazing what you can learn even when you think you know it well. :)

82293937-C473-4980-B921-271FDBEB0040_zpssokcazfn.jpg

28CF519A-B5FF-48AE-ACDE-B049BC2747B0_zpskdy44aop.jpg

FCB744AA-FF55-4A56-A384-2102179BC399_zpsmdwdy0g8.jpg

F84F3151-62EC-4124-B393-C4DAC53AED76_zpskgnfzejm.jpg

AD474229-C052-411B-93E3-3B490DD89BB8_zps9txs6brj.jpg

9344E1A1-1A45-453D-8425-95E2ACE97734_zpsvjinpmlk.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hey, that last picture looks like the earth when it first cooled off... :elkgrin:
What a cool weekend. Hope you'll have a chance to share some of what you learned. :beer:

Learning is a fun thing. I've learned that I'm getting dumber with age.
When I was 19, I knew everything. Now people teach me stuff I don't know all the time. :)

Imajeepnut

Observer
Hey Rin...Thanks for taking the time to post all of your changes to your rig! I really like this latest iteration! I may have missed it, but how is the wind noise with this setup...better or worse than previous? What about weight...can you tell a difference? Gotta' love the gel-coat green! It's super close to Tank isn't it?

Also...when did I miss the glass-work? Is that etched or vinyl?

Nice work,

Jeff

rino

Hey Rin...Thanks for taking the time to post all of your changes to your rig! I really like this latest iteration! I may have missed it, but how is the wind noise with this setup...better or worse than previous? What about weight...can you tell a difference? Gotta' love the gel-coat green! It's super close to Tank isn't it?

Also...when did I miss the glass-work? Is that etched or vinyl?

Nice work,

Jeff

Jeff,
Hope all is well and thanks!

Wind noise with the tent is equivalent to the bare rack. The aerodynamics of the James Baroud makes such a difference over a soft brick :) haha

The windows are actually vinyl, but it looks a lot like etching. I may change them to a green haha

rino

How do you like the hard shell vs the normal rtt?

You have to see and use one and you will be a believer. From aerodynamics, to the ability to store sleeping bags and pillows inside and the ease of opening and closing. There is little comparison! :)

I encourage you to check out Slee Offroad located near you in Colorado, they are now a stocking James Baroud Dealer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle