Old Man Emu or Donahoe racing

fonso

I want to put new shocks and leafs on my 99 tacoma, and cant decide between old man emu, or donahoe racing.
Which would you want?
Anyone with either have any input

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I'll chime in before this thread gets moved. I just picked up a 98 4Runner and after extensive research I've decided to go with the Icons (the new Donahoe) in the front. More expensive? Yes, I've already started saving my sheckles! ;) My reasoning is that #1 I really wanted to have something up front that was adjustable and #2 we already have a set on the FJ and off road I haven't experienced anything better. Around town they are great too. We went fron stock, to Fox to the Icons and the difference is amazing.

The OME is hard to ignore the price on however, so I guess it really depends on what you want to do with the truck. I've known at least 3 people in the last few months blow out their OME shocks finally after having them on for months, and others who have had them on for a while. I haven't experience OME first had so maybe others will chime in!

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Moved over to the correct section...

First, welcome to ExPo :26_7_2:

It depends on your usage, if you have a lot of extra weight up front and your budget.

Both are excellent products. OME makes excellent products and are on considerably more vehicles then Donahoe/Icon. Well proven overall.

I am very pleased with my Donahoe/Icons. I have had some leakage problems that are another story (and isn't a story you hear too often), but overall the performance of the product on the truck is excellent. They manage the extra weight on the front of the truck well, travel smoothly and rebound well.

Pete

TheMike

Adventurer
Without a doubt, I would go with the Donahoes. I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" so don't let the cost scare you off.

I had Donahoe's Coilovers in the front and external resevoirs in the back on my 2005 Taco. Without a doubt, I would go that route again if I had another Toyota.

Along with the front coilovers, I had Total Chaos' Upper Control Arms. In the back I had a set of Deaver 10 leafs.

No regrets at all on this end.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Hey Pete, did you send them into DR oops I mean ICON?

I used to do rebuilds. We would do them free or for $14. Good deal either way. :elkgrin: I bet they still offer that.

mountainpete said:
Moved over to the correct section...

First, welcome to ExPo :26_7_2:

It depends on your usage, if you have a lot of extra weight up front and your budget.

Both are excellent products. OME makes excellent products and are on considerably more vehicles then Donahoe/Icon. Well proven overall.

I am very pleased with my Donahoe/Icons. I have had some leakage problems that are another story (and isn't a story you hear too often), but overall the performance of the product on the truck is excellent. They manage the extra weight on the front of the truck well, travel smoothly and rebound well.

Pete

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
SOAZ said:
Hey Pete, did you send them into DR oops I mean ICON?

I used to do rebuilds. We would do them free or for $14. Good deal either way. :elkgrin: I bet they still offer that.

Nope, Kevin at HRT Offroad (Canadian distributor) took care of me. Great guy. Great service. Highly recommended for us northerners.

midtraveltaco

I have the donahoe/icon kit on my 04 double cab tacoma. I love it! I have had it on my truck for a year and a half now and i have not been disapointed one day in fact it keeps impressing me. My truck rides really sweet and smooth over everything. I have the front coil overs and the rear shocks with the resi and dever springs. This is the only kit that i know of that will perform amazing going 80mph on a rough dirt road one minute to crawing on class 4 to 5 trails the next minute then driving home when your done playing in the desert. Hands down this one great suspension kit i would not own any other one.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
fonso said:
I want to put new shocks and leafs on my 99 tacoma, and cant decide between old man emu, or donahoe racing.
Which would you want?
Anyone with either have any input

Is everything bone stock right now, or do you already have some aftermarket suspension in there?

ArmyTaco

Observer
Def go with Icon. Always heard great things about them. I have OME on my Fj and after a mild wheeling trip notcied one shock leaking quite good and the other damp. Shocks have about 20k on them. In all respect though I do have a heavy setup using warn bumper, powerplant winch, and bud built skids. Just dont think the OME shocks are up to it anymore. Time for some Icons or something for me.

Last edited:

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
On the positive side ARB will replace a leaking shock no questions asked (at least they did for me).

I like all the info I've read about the Icons, and there's no question they are a top quality product. But you've got to decide if the extra $500 is worth it to you, versus having $500 to spend on something else. And you also absorb the responsibility of the required upkeep and maintenance of a racing coilover, which means you'll need a backup coilover set for those times when their at the shop.

Hard to go wrong with either product.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I didn't know Donahoe made rear leafs... Honestly, I'd still go with OME's. They've been making leaf springs for Toyotas for a long time and to say they've proven their mettle would be a major understatement.

OME doesn't make coil-overs like Donahoe (I don't belive) so that's a moot point, but as far as leaves's go, Get the Dakars and whatever shocks you want and take all the money you save adn put gas in the truck. OME may cost less, but they're no less well built than the expensive leaves, they're just made by a bigger company and therefore aren't as expensive IMO.

Cheers

Dave

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Hmmm - I didn't even bother to read the first page, and was assumed we were talking about front suspension with the mention of Icon....

You are right, OME doesn't sell a fully assembled coilover, but with an OME strut, OME spring, and a Toyota top plate, you're pretty close.

Obviously the other major difference is the adjustability of the Icons. That's a nice feature for "tuning" the coilover for your specific installation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan