Old Man Emu or Donahoe racing

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I'm sure Tim can confirm or reject this, but I am confident that Deaver makes any rear leaf spring products that may be be sold as Donahoe/Icon.

heeltoe989

Explorer
OME Dakars all the way in the rear. I've had Deaver 10 and 12 packs, and both failed to perform the way I wanted them too. I use Donahoe Res shocks in the rear.

At the moment I'm upgrading my OME Dakars with the extra leaf option that OME make for the Dakars. When I have a new rear bumper made, it will take the extra weight a bit better when I hook my trailer up and when loaded.

I use Donahoe coil-over up front, love them. Doing a King 14"x700lbs spring change and extended coil-over conversion in the next few weeks to take care of the ARB & Winch up front.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Jacket said:
I like all the info I've read about the Icons, and there's no question they are a top quality product. But you've got to decide if the extra $500 is worth it to you, versus having $500 to spend on something else. And you also absorb the responsibility of the required upkeep and maintenance of a racing coilover, which means you'll need a backup coilover set for those times when their at the shop.
Well said.

J_wings24

Observer
I have to agree with the ICON's up front. I personally have SAW 2.5's & LOVE THEM. I wanted to be fully adjustable up front so when I get a winch I can compensate for the extra weight.

I have the OME Dakars in the rear & again I love them. I can load 2 dirt bikes plus fuel, plus gear into the back & the rear barley sags. It's wonderful.

Pick and choose different manufacturers, different companies make certain components better.

Good luck, whichever way you go, post up pictures of your build!

ArmyTaco

Observer
Yes the Icon for the front will cost more than the OME. But you are getting a fully rebuildable, adjustable C/O. While the OME setup will wear out and sag and maybe eventually leak. I had SAW's on my Taco and loved them. I got OME on my FJ and while thay are good, I wish I would have gone with Icons, or something like that. There are many good C/O;s that do not cost as much as Icon. Yeah you might need something to put in there while they are being rebuilt, but you will have them as long as you have your truck. I have had both (well not Icons) and I am about to go back to some kind of adj. C/O. You can also find them fairly cheaper used. Even this way you can find them for $500 and then have them rebuilt for whatever. I know that if you get the Icon's you won't be dissapointed. Replacement shocks for my OME are gonna be $300+. This on top of what I have in them and it won't be long before I have what Icon will cost. Just my opinion.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
So you buy adjustable c/o's that need to be rebuilt, how often do they need to be rebuilt, and what does that cost? You'll need to keep that into consideration in addition to the additional expense over a sealed, non-rebuildable unit (OME's).

Maybe they're $500 more now, and then a few hundred every year or two for maintenance?

heeltoe989

Explorer
Crikeymike said:
So you buy adjustable c/o's that need to be rebuilt, how often do they need to be rebuilt, and what does that cost? You'll need to keep that into consideration in addition to the additional expense over a sealed, non-rebuildable unit (OME's).

Maybe they're $500 more now, and then a few hundred every year or two for maintenance?

Its less than a hundred bucks for each in a rebuild and you can do it every 2 years or depends on how hard you are on them.

I'm just about to do my first re-build after 2 years of good hard use and 2 hard Canadian winters.

Personally I like having re-buildable stuff. One you blow a sealed shock, you throw it away and buy another one. ( better for environment )

Icon's have a killer warranty and great support from Icon (Donahoe)

PS - you can also change and customize the Valving and oil set-up for your truck.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
My thoughts are go with the OME for now If there are other upgrades planned. I went with them and when I am regeared, locked and all the other stuff then I will get some Icons because they are flat out better. I just want to put the $500 elsewhere right now. Just my thoughts and plans. Either way you will be happy. Maybe happier with hoes:ylsmoke:sorry, icons

Explorer
I have icons on the front of my 2001. I can really push it through the terrain and work the suspension like a dirt bike. Its so responsive it feels like it knows what its doing and pulling on its leash for more. The harder you push it the better it feels.

I also have a 2006 with OME. It is way better than stock and I have no regrets, but it doesn't have the same fluid feel as the icons. Its less responsive and becomes choppy and awkward when pushed too hard.

Both are a great buy, but if its possible to afford an adjustable coil over - do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior