"Old Man's Toy" offroad teardrop trailer

Grebby

That looks like a Coleman Event Shelter, or that's what it's called on this side of the pond.

Hope that helps

Grebby

kbahus

Adventurer
Kelty makes something very similar, might be able to find a good deal this time of year. Fyi the Fort Collins REI garage sales are a great place to find things like that too.

old_man

Adventurer
Kelty makes something very similar, might be able to find a good deal this time of year. Fyi the Fort Collins REI garage sales are a great place to find things like that too.

Are you familiar with Fort Collins, or did you look it up online? It was just weird getting instructions to go to a local store from a guy who is supposedly a long way away.

colorado matt

Adventurer
great job .... jealous of your fab skills .... and REI has a garage sale coming up on Jan 4th ... they open at 10 but members get an 8 am start ... if you want I can meet you there and use my membership .... would be happy to do it ..... Matt

old_man

Adventurer
great job .... jealous of your fab skills .... and REI has a garage sale coming up on Jan 4th ... they open at 10 but members get an 8 am start ... if you want I can meet you there and use my membership .... would be happy to do it ..... Matt

I have been thinking about getting a membership. My daughter has one. I think I will try and be there. Hope to meet you.

old_man

Adventurer
I'll be looking forward to more pics especially how you seal the corners to insure the plywood remains dry

First, the corners are going to be painted with enamel. The plywood is overlapped with Filon. The corners are then covered by aluminum molding that is set down on a bed of flexible caulk.

jwiereng

Sounds good. Please post pics when you get there.

Filon is very costly here and difficult to source. Hopefully it is easier in CO.

rocrunr

Adventurer
Awesome job! The trailer is looking good and it sounds as thou life is settling out for ya. Inspiration to get of the couch and go build something! Thanks . Keep up the good work.

JPK

Explorer
Life is getting back on track. Hope to be finished in a couple of weeks.

I got it skinned inside and the hole cut for the door.

DSC_0058_zps72807c52.jpg

I put 1" Styrofoam in all the walls.

0991a25f-a88c-4c56-a39f-4b06381fd4ef_zps3cd133ae.jpg

I have been skinning the trailer with 1/4" plywood.

634ee8e1-3b1f-4a81-aef9-d96f3fc73076_zpsb3d90778.jpg

70f64b96-561c-4e04-88b5-fb0fb4d9efd6_zpsc3f22ed2.jpg

Getting the plywood to wrap around the curves is a problem. I wet it down with soapy water for three days under tension. I even had to sand down the back to make it thinner so it would bend without cracking.

20141207_134823-Copy1_zps6221ffe5.jpg

I will be sheeting it with Filon starting tomorrow. I hope to have it pretty much finished off by Jan 5.

Wish me luck.

A trick NC boat builders use for bending plywood over tight curves is to cut many shallow, parallel grooves into the backside of the plywood which allows the inside layer(s) to bend over a tighter radius without any of the layers cracking. Marine plywood also has more layers per thickness that other plywood, which means each layer is thinner and can bend better.

JPK

takesiteasy

Adventurer
A trick NC boat builders use for bending plywood over tight curves is to cut many shallow, parallel grooves into the backside of the plywood which allows the inside layer(s) to bend over a tighter radius without any of the layers cracking. Marine plywood also has more layers per thickness that other plywood, which means each layer is thinner and can bend better.JPK

There are also products like this for forming curved surfaces: http://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/product/columbia-radius-bending-plywood/

Woods

Explorer
A reminder here. REI give a lot of money to a lot of groups who want to close a lot of two track trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears