Old Pony Express Rd.

ckkone

Explorer
Who - Wasatch Cruisers Club Run (23 rigs in attendence)
When - Saturday January 12th 2008
Where - Old Pony Express Rd. from Lehi, UT to Wendover, NV (approx. 130 miles)

I found a very good writeup about this trail on the internets using The Google, the authur does a much better job then I could ever do explaining the history, the region and the trail. The following trail history is an excerpt from this document

Trail History:

For mail to get across the west to California before the Pony express came to be, it traveled by ship down the Gulf of Mexico, by mule across Panama and then by ship again to San Francisco. That journey could take as long as 8 weeks if the weather was foul. Around the time of the Civil War, it became vital to keep California more closely aligned with the Union and a faster system for getting messages out was imperative. So in 1860, the Pony Express mail route was born from the vision of businessman William Russell. Starting in St. Joseph, Missouri the route forged 1800 miles across what is now Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada to its terminus in Sacramento, California. Since speed was the emphasis of this venture, only the fastest horses were used, riders had to be less than 120 pounds and each parcel no more than 20 pounds. Time required to get news to the west coast was significantly reduced —to about 8 to 10 days. Successful as it was, the route was only used for 18 months, between April 1860 and October 1861. When the transcontinental telegraph was completed in 1861, the privately-owned mail delivery business was unable to make a profit and was subsequently shut down. Messages that once took 8 weeks by ship and mule, then 8 days by horse now took 4 hours by wire.

2190050711_1a0b3eb69f.jpg

2190052247_bf4675b37e.jpg

2190055715_da943033a1.jpg

2190058517_3a0630db73.jpg

2190863594_8d5f520dd0.jpg

2190079619_44415c971e.jpg

2190082627_a387af44e8.jpg

2190874780_aa4753bca8.jpg

2190085809_fe3d8e26db.jpg

ckkone

Explorer
Kurt or Moody feel free to add more info about this trail and the actual route we took!

Last edited:

Brett M

Adventurer
Looks like I spy a few vehicles I know there ;) Looks fun. My family used to go out that way a lot.

Anyone ever gone geode hunting out west?

ckkone

Explorer
Sure did, along the trail you come across the Dugway Geode Beds. We made a short 1 hour stop and did some hunting, everyone had a great time.

I didn't get any pictures there my daughter and I were to busy hunting..

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
What a fun day...on the way out, we spotted about 50 head of Antelope grazing which, along with the plentiful sunshine made me grin from ear to ear. Listening to a little Marley driving, we started hearing chatter on the CB. We soon met up with the large group, turns out it was a total of 23. Pretty cool.
First stop was Simpson Springs. Last year I taught Utah History, so it was pretty fun to revisit one of the sites I had taught them about.

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2678.jpg

IMG_2680.jpg

Another hour or so down the road, (which was quite mellow in comparison to the roads I had just driven in Death Valley over NYE) we came to the Dugway Geode beds. Out came the shovels, hammers, and bags. I had forgotten my rock hammer back home, but many were already opened and some were just laying on the ground, ready to be opened with the nail hammer. My boy Alexander had a great time, and his pants/coat/shoes prove it!
IMG_2686.jpg

Further down the road, a fellow didn't have a lug wrench or not the correct one...I was further in the back, so I never did find out for sure...

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
Last major stop was at a large dusty cave up the side of the mountain: (I edited out the Gold Hill part Kurt :) )
IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Moody said:
Last major stop was at Gold Hill, which is a large dusty cave up the side of the mountain...

Minor correction... the Native American cave we visited is not called Gold Hill, its called the Calleo Cave, did you not listen to my tour info :shakin:

Gold Hill was the small town we drove right through AFTER the cave, it was once a thriving city (when the mines were all working), it now has less than 10 permanent residents. Neat town to explore but watch your step ;)

Picture%20012%20%28Small%29.jpg

Yup, thats dynamite ;)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
ckkone said:
Kurt or Moody feel free to add more info about this trail and the actual route we took!

We pretty much re-traced the PET from the point of the mountain in Draper (assuming you came from the north) all the way to Overland Canyon (just south of Gold Hill). Not a bad stretch of ground for a Saturday :D

Moody

Needs to get out more
Kurt- Don't you remember? I had the 3 year old that -had- to stop every 45 minutes to pee because, "It is coming out, Daddy!"

Therefore, I missed your words of wisdom...

I never heard back from you yesterday? I need you to tempt me more.

ckkone

Explorer
So did anyone know what that double fenced area was at Gold Hill. It almost looked like something you would see at a zoo, maybe they kept a bear or mountain lion in there at one point in time?

LiveRust

Observer
Still impressed with the HAM radio after this trip. I had a little problem along the way with my lexus deciding to die suddenly while idling on the side of the trail. Wouldn't start. diagnosis was it wasn't getting any fuel. Looked like Fuel pump had stopped. Nobody in the group had cell coverage out there in the middle of nowhere but we did have a few ham radio operators. One of them got ahold of someone in St George who called one of our club members in Ely to tell him to turn on his ham. We were able to let him know what we needed as far as parts and he picked them up and met us in Wendover 5 minutes after we arrived there. We were able to swap out the fuel pump and repair a broken wire and still make the buffet.

Bringing up the rear of the caravan was cool. Being able to look at 22 4X4's stretched out across the desert valley following the dusty trail was an awesome site.

Much better than looking at the back of a 100 series cruiser on the end of a 30' strap the last part of the trail. 12 rock chips in the windshield!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior