Old run from 1987 on the Dusy Ershim Trail

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
What a riot! My friend sent me a link today to this website that has our 1987 Dusy Ershim Trail trip documented. I had no idea these pictures were still around. :wings:

I look just a tad differnt back in 87. :xxrotflma That was the year when my first son was born and I was 32 years old. LOL

The 84 Toyota with the young skinny guy driving is me.:costumed-smiley-007
Not the best quality pictures but they give you the idea of the beauty of the country. If you ever get a chance to run this trail, do it.

http://www.monachegang.org/slidesho...aug87_ershim&caller=adventures/adventures.php

articulate

Expedition Leader
HA! What a hoot, Brad.

I hope to make some young dudes crack up with some of my old photos in 21 years too. Thanks for sharing.

AndrewP

Explorer
That's my favorite trail-I've done it 3 times. Divorce rock looks exactly the same, the rest of the trail is a bit more eroded. Thanks for the pics.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Been up to Lake Enron a couple of times, but have never managed to run D-E due to the wrong crowd tagging along... I gotta get up there again.......

Great link! That really reinforced the idea that I don't need 35"-52" tires to have a great time in the mountians. All I need is an adventurous spirit and good friends to bring along. :camping: + :safari-rig: = :costumed-smiley-007

AndrewP

Explorer
Backwoods Rambler said:
Great link! That really reinforced the idea that I don't need 35"-52" tires to have a great time in the mountians. All I need is an adventurous spirit and good friends to bring along. :camping: + :safari-rig: = :costumed-smiley-007

That was 20 years ago. Dusy has become a very difficult trail, especially Thompson Hill and the last section of rocks before Kaiser Pass. Those trucks in the old pics would have a very difficult time of that trail today.

Also remember it's a 3 or 4 day trail, much of it technical rock crawling. It's also mostly over 9,000 feet ( parts are above 10,000 feet) so the truck doesn't run all that well, you don't run all that well, sleep isn't all that restful. You have to bring your #1 game and stay sharp. I love it, but it leaves you tired at the end.

Your average "expo" truck should not do that trail.

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
I have heard of the beauty at Dusy for a long time, and can't wait to run it. I love lookin' at old pics too, thanks for sharing!

Dylan

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I'd do it again today as long as I had skids, sliders, and a rear locker...and a buddy to help ya through the tough spots. :costumed-smiley-007

It took us three days of driving 8 hours a day..I remember the exhausted part.

Great memories and beautiful country. :wings:

Pretty funny looking at pictures of yourself from 20 years ago. :hehe:

Hey at least I was four wheeling even back then. :shakin:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
cpg said:
Great Truck!

Thanks. I miss that little solid axle truck. :(

FYI, back in the day....I was running 33's with 4:88 gears and trutrack diffs front and rear. If I remember correctly, it had either 3 or 4 inch suspension lift. It was a pretty capable for it's time.

I ran that trail a couple of years ago...I really want to go back as the weather really didn't cooperate the first time around....one of my friends did a short write-up on our time there. Thanx for the memories with the pictures...it dopesn't look like the trail has changed all that much to me for most of it although I do think the ends are probably a bit more interesting these days.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/others/other49-1.htm

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Robert, Thanks for the link to Stu Webpage and the Dusy write up. I can't believe you guys drove that in just 2 days with one camp just after topping Thompson Ridge. You had to be beat to the bones.

Your right though, with the weather dumping on you, hanging around and trying to relax was probably not a very attractive option. Just have to go back in good weather so you take longer to enjoy the country. :shakin:

Last edited:
Thanx...we actually made the right decision to get out of there as we found out the next day while we were holed up in Fresno that over 10" of snow fell later that night....it was an 11 hour day...very memorable but for the wrong reasons LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior