Old run from 1987 on the Dusy Ershim Trail

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
robert j. yates said:
Thanx...we actually made the right decision to get out of there as we found out the next day while we were holed up in Fresno that over 10" of snow fell later that night....it was an 11 hour day...very memorable but for the wrong reasons LOL.

Sounds like if you stayed you would have had even more memories.:Wow1: I wouldn't want to try to drive that trail with 10" of snow on it. :elkgrin:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm very interested in doing this trail. I had the perfect rig for it (05 Rubicon LJ) but now with my Mall Crawlin' 4Runner I'm not sure that we are up for it (we being, me, the 4Run, and the Chaser :)

If the trail is not much more difficult than the photos of Brad’s 1987 trip I think I would do it with just the ATRAC and all the armor I have, but the Chaser might be too much. One of the pictures shows the front axle of the CJ with very little articulation and a tire in the air, not very different than my IFS Toyota in my mind. I would surely like to try with the right group (small) of drivers and rigs. I was hoping for 2008 but this year is looking pretty packed already.

James

AndrewP

Explorer
Redline said:
I'm very interested in doing this trail. I had the perfect rig for it (05 Rubicon LJ) but now with my Mall Crawlin' 4Runner I'm not sure that we are up for it (we being, me, the 4Run, and the Chaser :)

If the trail is not much more difficult than the photos of Brad’s 1987 trip I think I would do it with just the ATRAC and all the armor I have, but the Chaser might be too much. One of the pictures shows the front axle of the CJ with very little articulation and a tire in the air, not very different than my IFS Toyota in my mind. I would surely like to try with the right group (small) of drivers and rigs. I was hoping for 2008 but this year is looking pretty packed already.

James

James-I've run that trail several times recently, and the 4Runner is not the best choice for it. You might get through the trail with care and a lot of extra time. Breakage on this trail is a major issue. There are no spares within days of where you are. Unfortunate, but true.

Run the Rubicon first. The degree of difficulty is about the same, but Dusy is much more remote, and much longer. A major breakage is a real issue on this trail, so go prepared to fix anything. We had a guy break a sector shaft in his steering box this year. If you think about it, that isn't really a fixable problem. Broken axles are also common on this trail.

Just to relate one other story-we ran into a group of 3 guys in early Broncos 3 years ago. One of them had broken his transfer case on Thompson Hill. They had been there 4 days trying to fix it, and were out of gas, food, water, and beer. They had a plan to drive one rig down to a junk yard in Fresno, get a t-case, then return, fix the truck and drive out. We gave then some water and some food. I assume they got out since we didn't see any skeletons this year!

If you took an IFS truck through there, it might be the first one in the modern era. Good luck, but don't think it will be easy.

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Well that is the kind of real world friendly caution I needed to read. The Rubicon is very close to me.

I have friends that have done it the Rubicon so if I can get them to go and take their time maybe mid week some time when it is not so crazy. (The crowds and craziness is one of the reasons the Dusey Ershim is more appealing). I've got the armor, but don't care to wreck or break my 4Runner, it's a very nice ride and there are so many other trials :) Maybe I need lockers, or I’ll just wait for the next Jeep I buy ☺

James

AndrewP said:
James-I've run that trail several times recently, and the 4Runner is not the best choice for it. You might get through the trail with care and a lot of extra time. Breakage on this trail is a major issue. There are no spares within days of where you are. Unfortunate, but true.

Run the Rubicon first. The degree of difficulty is about the same, but Dusy is much more remote, and much longer. A major breakage is a real issue on this trail, so go prepared to fix anything. We had a guy break a sector shaft in his steering box this year. If you think about it, that isn't really a fixable problem. Broken axles are also common on this trail.

Just to relate one other story-we ran into a group of 3 guys in early Broncos 3 years ago. One of them had broken his transfer case on Thompson Hill. They had been there 4 days trying to fix it, and were out of gas, food, water, and beer. They had a plan to drive one rig down to a junk yard in Fresno, get a t-case, then return, fix the truck and drive out. We gave then some water and some food. I assume they got out since we didn't see any skeletons this year!

If you took an IFS truck through there, it might be the first one in the modern era. Good luck, but don't think it will be easy.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Very cool Brad! Thanks for sharing.
Someday I'd like to get over to Cal for a couple trails. Andrew P, how would a locked 80 on 35's and 4:88's handle that trail?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
MaddBaggins said:
Very cool Brad! Thanks for sharing.
Someday I'd like to get over to Cal for a couple trails. Andrew P, how would a locked 80 on 35's and 4:88's handle that trail?

I defer to Andrew for more current trail condition experience but as I remember it, there were several places that the trail squeezed between two trees or a tree and a large bolder. Some of the sqeezes were so tight my friend's CJ7 Jeep and my little Toyota truck would almost get it's mirrors folded in. I'm not sure a full size Cruiser would be narrow enough.:confused:

For the rest of the trail a locked up Cruiser on 35s with 4:88s would do fine. Expecialy with your driving experience. Just have to be sure the width would not be too much for some of the tight squeezes.

AndrewP

Explorer
We ran through this year with 3 80 series set up as you describe, plus one FJ62 SOA, and one FJ40. The 40 and the 62 had the easiest time of it due to the gear reduction. The 40 was at 80:1 and the FJ62 was at 125:1.

One of the 80s sheared the sector shaft as we were leaving Ershim Lake-2 days in both directions from the trail head. That's the last time we travel without a spare steering box. The amazing fix was a complex trail repair detailed on ih8mud. One of our guys welded the sector shaft together-I thought it would last 10 minutes, but we babied the truck and got it to Kaiser Pass.

The rocks and trees make this a tough trail. Click on the map on this link for an idea of what it's like. The link is from Jim B.'s site (Pismojim of surf and turf fame) This was the second time I ran that trail. The first time I had an engine fire! Lots of stories from there.

http://realcruiser.com/dusy04/index.html

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Andrew, that website is the best write up and picture documentation on the Dusy trail I have seen. Very nice. Thanks.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Thanks for sharing. It's a breath of fresh air seeing rigs on smallers tires and not rock buggies that have become the norm. :26_7_2:

AndrewP said:

I agree with most of what you have said but speaking of trailers.....I think I can get my Horizon up Thompson Hill....not sure about the Kaiser Pass side but I think Thompson is doable as long as I am slow and methodical about it. I'd bring plenty of spares LOL.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
robert j. yates said:
I agree with most of what you have said but speaking of trailers.....I think I can get my Horizon up Thompson Hill....not sure about the Kaiser Pass side but I think Thompson is doable as long as I am slow and methodical about it. I'd bring plenty of spares LOL.

When we did it 20 years ago I remember a red jeep pulling a trailer up Thompson hill. He made it back then, just had to take his time.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I agree, are those rigs on 35s?

SOCALFJ said:
Thanks for sharing. It's a breath of fresh air seeing rigs on smallers tires and not rock buggies that have become the norm. :26_7_2:

Last edited:

alvarorb

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan