On board air options

ABBB

What do you mean by an onboard air system? A hard mounted 12 volt compressor? Engine driven compressor? A fancy four tire air system?

What are you intending to use the "onboard air system" for? Airing up tires? How large of tires? Running air tools?
Also, how often do you expect to use this air system?

I’m way late replying because I’m still thinking about this! But at this point, what I picture is having a mounted compressor in the engine bay that can air up 33-34” within 2-3 minutes each max (4 tires on the 200 Series and 2 on the trailer; family can tolerate about 15 minutes of waiting, but 5-10 would be the sweet spot).

I’d also like the option to use an air tool. Likely it would just be for taking lugs on and off when changing a tire, but it doesn’t hurt to have it there for other needs should they arise.

I don’t expect I’ll be adding lockers to this rig.

I’ve been looking into some of the Viair systems with 2-3 gallon reserve tanks. Question is where do I mount a tank? I’m assuming I’ll also have to have a bracket fabricated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHorsepower

Maker of STUFF
I’m way late replying because I’m still thinking about this! But at this point, what I picture is having a mounted compressor in the engine bay that can air up 33-34” within 2-3 minutes each max (4 tires on the 200 Series and 2 on the trailer; family can tolerate about 15 minutes of waiting, but 5-10 would be the sweet spot).

I’d also like the option to use an air tool. Likely it would just be for taking lugs on and off when changing a tire, but it doesn’t hurt to have it there for other needs should they arise.

I don’t expect I’ll be adding lockers to this rig.

I’ve been looking into some of the Viair systems with 2-3 gallon reserve tanks. Question is where do I mount a tank? I’m assuming I’ll also have to have a bracket fabricated?

Dont know if it will fit in your engine bay or even if you can get these anywhere but Australia (Importing may be possible). But performance wise these will definitely fit the bill. https://seriousair.com.au/

Honesty the engine compartment is usually hot, and electric powered air compressors run really hot so not like the best location to mount one.

I use a portable 12 volt air compressors; check out the Viair 400 series, these are fairly fast from what I have heard.

ABBB

Honesty the engine compartment is usually hot, and electric powered air compressors run really hot so not like the best location to mount one.

I use a portable 12 volt air compressors; check out the Viair 400 series, these are fairly fast from what I have heard.

My local shop recommended I look at the 400 series as well, just started reading up. I have a lower powered 12V Viair now. My primary reason for wanting more power is to save time airing up. Air tools would be a bonus. I also, as minuscule an inconvenience it is in the grand scheme, don’t enjoy taking the compressor out, hooking it up to the battery, waiting for it cool off, and stowing it away again. There’s lots of other things I could do with $600 besides install an onboard air compressor but since I can spare myself the nuisance I’ll drop the coin for it and smile when I’m back on pavement 20 minutes sooner than I would be otherwise.

lucilius

You might take a look at Oasis Mfg (XD3000 and/or other models). Has lived on the underside of my chassis for 14 years of all season use and no problems. I've been glad in particular that it performs with no issues in cold weather.

ABBB

You might take a look at Oasis Mfg (XD3000 and/or other models). Has lived on the underside of my chassis for 14 years of all season use and no problems. I've been glad in particular that it performs with no issues in cold weather.

Thanks, will check it out. I’m not encouraged about Viair on account of how many users report needing to rebuild after 100+ hours of use.

ABBB have you considered the Warn Powerplant system?

12,000 lb. rated electric winch with built-in air compressor. Sounds perfect for a rig the weight of a 200 Series TLC.

ABBB

ABBB have you considered the Warn Powerplant system?

12,000 lb. rated electric winch with built-in air compressor. Sounds perfect for a rig the weight of a 200 Series TLC.

I’ve come across them for sale (used) now and again. Great concept. I know they were discontinued bc of issues with compressor components and Warn no longer manufactures any parts for them. Thanks for the idea though. Would’ve been a great addition since you could run air tools off them too.

I’ve got an Ironman 12k winch sitting in the garage waiting for install. Once I settle on a compressor setup I’ll put both on. I like the 400 series Viair systems and adding a tank to one makes it an appealing and versatile option. That said, the twin ARB just seems bulletproof. My guess is I can’t lose either way.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
When I finished building our truck, I had run out of money so found a 1.5HP AC Chinese air compressor that cost under $100, produced lots of air and ran successfully from the on board 1600W inverter and solar charged AGM batteries. Did us for a couple of years until the budget recovered and I fitted a quality 12V unit to save some space.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

zimm

Expedition Leader
I actually wouldn't bother with an on board air. In various trucks I've done the york, the arb, and the puma and amazon cheapies. Unless you have air lockers, in which case it make sense to utilize the space and hassle with a dual use unit, it's waste of time. A engine driven York is stupid amounts of air but, you better be an engineer to find a home for that in a modern rig. For my next truck it will be.... the millwakee m18. The little bugger romps, you can take it anywhere, AND it pairs up nicely with a couple must have tools I keep when out and about. The 18v 1/2 impact for ... nuts.. which I always end up touching, and the sawzaw for firewood, limbs, deadfall, and the occasional damaged car part that needs removed. Versatility and cheap.

zimm

Expedition Leader
I’ve come across them for sale (used) now and again. Great concept. I know they were discontinued bc of issues with compressor components and Warn no longer manufactures any parts for them. Thanks for the idea though. Would’ve been a great addition since you could run air tools off them too.

I’ve got an Ironman 12k winch sitting in the garage waiting for install. Once I settle on a compressor setup I’ll put both on. I like the 400 series Viair systems and adding a tank to one makes it an appealing and versatile option. That said, the twin ARB just seems bulletproof. My guess is I can’t lose either way.

I've ruined more than one warn winch. I don't want it wedded to my air compressor unless it's a no cost option, which it isn't.

K9LTW

I actually wouldn't bother with an on board air. In various trucks I've done the york, the arb, and the puma and amazon cheapies. Unless you have air lockers, in which case it make sense to utilize the space and hassle with a dual use unit, it's waste of time. A engine driven York is stupid amounts of air but, you better be an engineer to find a home for that in a modern rig. For my next truck it will be.... the millwakee m18. The little bugger romps, you can take it anywhere, AND it pairs up nicely with a couple must have tools I keep when out and about. The 18v 1/2 impact for ... nuts.. which I always end up touching, and the sawzaw for firewood, limbs, deadfall, and the occasional damaged car part that needs removed. Versatility and cheap.
My .02 cents...and use case...having onboard air SAVES me time and was 100% worth it. I had one of the monster, portable, twin cylinder compressors and lamented having to stick around for 10+ minutes after airing up to let the thing cool down enough to pack it back up. There was also the whole drag it out, hook it up, pack it back up process. Now? I have an ARB twin mounted in the engine bay. Hook the hoses up, fire it up, take the hoses off, leave. No more standing around waiting for it to reach a reasonable temp. When airing up/down multiple times a day it saves an incredible amount of time.

86scotty

Cynic
Van on e-rated 35"s, twin Viairs, 9 gallon tank, no lookin' back.

4 tires from 20-60 psi in 14 minutes.

zimm

Expedition Leader
My .02 cents...and use case...having onboard air SAVES me time and was 100% worth it. I had one of the monster, portable, twin cylinder compressors and lamented having to stick around for 10+ minutes after airing up to let the thing cool down enough to pack it back up. There was also the whole drag it out, hook it up, pack it back up process. Now? I have an ARB twin mounted in the engine bay. Hook the hoses up, fire it up, take the hoses off, leave. No more standing around waiting for it to reach a reasonable temp. When airing up/down multiple times a day it saves an incredible amount of time.
if the M18 was slow, like the cheapies, I'd agree. but its no harder to use than pulling out the hose, and it's not expensive. will an oasis xd do better? yea. it's almost as good as a york engine drive, but that because it's a york with a winch motor attached... for 2200 bucks. lol.

zimm

Expedition Leader
A co2 tank really beats them all for durability and speed, but, thats a whole 'nother packaging issue. that was the route I used for the lx470. yea, you gotta refill it, and that stays in your head, but i found it to be like fuel, in that i never ran out and the range anxiety was for nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior