On the cheap modifications

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Alright everyone, I am one of many on here who does not have a lot of money laying around to build and modify every little piece of their rig. However, like most everyone here, the passion and drive to add those special touches to my rig runs deep. I obsess over each accessory/build, layout time lines, draw up CAD drawings with dimensions and weights (working on animations right now), and keep thinking of what might be next on this long list.

So, I thought that we should start a thread that features the mods that people have done themselves, found on the cheap or gifted, or give their rig that extra personality or function.

Here are my current modifications:

1. ExPo stickers ~ cheap, but so rad. $4 from SOAZ.
2. Reliance Jumbo-tainer ~ $13 from Bass Pro Shops.
3. Mag Light holder ~ $5 from Bass Pro Shops.
4. Aluminum door handles ~ Came with the truck when purchased, but weren't installed yet.
5. Shovel ~ From Andrew Walcker.
6. Cobra CB ~ From Andrew also. This is will be routed and mounted on Sunday in the Tuffy Box so that when I am not using it I just pop the handset off and lock it in the box safely. I will post full pics then.
7. Green Spot Soda bottle opener ~ Andrew is a good guy. This seems like le piece de resistance of small mods.

Future Modifications:

1. Side-by-side stackable drawer and box system with locks and speed holes.
2: Drop-down tailgate table/shelf similar to, but not as beautiful as, Mark's Disco.
*Both of these projects are in the CAD design phase currently, and will be submitted for review before the build begins. Let me know your thoughts.
3. Mounting the Relience Jumbo-tainer. I am waiting to do this until I have settled on the box designs.
4. Roll-up snap awning system for Suzuki Samurai. This idea just hit me and has yet to go to CAD, but will soon and I will be submitting it for review.
5: On Sunday I am rattle-canning my sliders and bumpers, and I am trying to figure out if I should remove the brackets to my doors and mirrors and rattle can those black also. I think it would look pretty slick and since the doors pop off this would be a good way to maintain them from rust. What do you think?

greybrick

Adventurer
Might want to go to an autowrecker and find some lightweight Saab or carbonfiber racing seats for about a 100 pound weight saving which will translate to a power improvement and fuel saving mod. :)

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Carlyle said:
That "soda" opener makes my heart warm! I need one, and it's finally a cheap add on!

Yeah, I'm not sure how many sodas will be opened by this, but it will get its use from some other tasty beverages. The first time I saw this done I knew I needed one.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I think the best "Cheap" mod I have ever done to my truck is add the small dome mirrors to my side view mirrors. It took a little getting used to, but MAN what a difference it makes on a tight trail. Its nice to be able to see your rear tire and slider at a glance of the side mirror, instead of hanging halfway out the vehicle!

I think you can them on this picture:
SS100286.jpg

~James

spressomon

Expedition Leader
stumptaco said:
I think the best "Cheap" mod I have ever done to my truck is add the small dome mirrors to my side view mirrors. It took a little getting used to, but MAN what a difference it makes on a tight trail. Its nice to be able to see your rear tire and slider at a glance of the side mirror, instead of hanging halfway out the vehicle!

I think you can them on this picture:
SS100286.jpg

~James

Good idea! My neck gets sore from crooning on tight trails and probably still doesn't accomplish what your aux mirrors do!

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
stumptaco said:
I think the best "Cheap" mod I have ever done to my truck is add the small dome mirrors to my side view mirrors.

~James

That's a great idea. I would have never thought to use those. 1 more to addto the list. Thanks.

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
Seth Kendall said:
5: On Sunday I am rattle-canning my sliders and bumpers, and I am trying to figure out if I should remove the brackets to my doors and mirrors and rattle can those black also. I think it would look pretty slick and since the doors pop off this would be a good way to maintain them from rust. What do you think?

For the rattle can treatment I highly recommend Rustoleum with the textured finish. I used 2 coats of this on my wrangler bumper with a day or so drying between coats and it looked professional and never scratched or wore off. I was amazed at the difference between cheap and name brand spray paint.

MisfitToy

spressomon said:
Good idea! My neck gets sore from crooning on tight trails and probably still doesn't accomplish what your aux mirrors do!

I would like some for my blind spot on the road, I got power side mirriors so I just angle them down at my rear tires and sides :bike_rider:

If you rattle can those door brackets wont it get scraped off when you have the doors on? Just a thought. Kepp up the work cheap mods are the best!

Guinness44

Adventurer
X2 for those mirrors, been using some for years. Has saved a sportscar before, who tried to pass "way down there". (Also almost gotten wiped out be a VW van, in such sportcar personally.) A must for pulling the horsetrailer.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
stumptaco said:

~James

Really the cheapest mod you could do is flip that shovel around. Your forcing more air into your rack and cargo area. I would flip it and force it away from the vehicle. Less wind resistance and wind noise as well.

Carlyle

Explorer
You're right Ron, that would really help. I bet it cut the noise down and reduce vehicle drag to the side and it costs nothing. I still think the beer opener, I mean "soda" opener is the most useful tool, though in a pinch almost anything can be used.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Colorado Ron said:
Really the cheapest mod you could do is flip that shovel around. Your forcing more air into your rack and cargo area. I would flip it and force it away from the vehicle. Less wind resistance and wind noise as well.

With all of the crap I have hangin off my truck, the shovel is the least of my problems...although you are probably right. I did try to do it like that, but the angle of the shovel head is too big and hits my rack. I didnt make the standoffs long enough.

On a side note, that entire side of the rack got chopped off two days ago to allow the fit of my RTT. So, no more worries about the shovel resistance :D Instead, I replaced it with a 50X14 inches of vertical flat "parachute like/barn door" sleeping quarters, im sure that did wonders for my MPG. :oops:

I am getting ready to build a new rack to accommodate the RTT a little better and will keep resistance and noise in mind when doing so.

~James

DSCN0217.jpg

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Today's mods

I'm glad to see that everyone likes the bottle opener. I love it.

Today, GillTi and I worked on our rigs just doing some touch up, and adding some spacers to his 80 LC to get the stance just right. Really makes his truck look more capable, and it drives nicer too.

Other than that just a lot of rattle canning with Rustoleum to the sliders, bumpers, and I changed the color of my door brackets from red to black. Let me know what you think.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
Most recent cheap modification

This one was a good price scored on a Basket Case on ExPo here. Beyond that, some electrical conduit tubes, clamps, self-tapping screws and some foam to baffle all the metal. Total for everything was well under $70 and I increased the usable space of my small rig a ton.

P7140066.jpg

P7140067.jpg

P7140068.jpg

P7140069.jpg

I am also considering making it so that the basket can slide out a ways and locks back into place. Before that I want to see how this packs up all my gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior