On the cheap modifications

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Sound Deadening

I was tired of feeling like I was driving a tin can and not being able to hear the stereo or the person next to me. I started looking at Dynamat and other materials before deciding on Peel n Seal.

I bought 100 sq ft for about $90. It was enough to do the entire truck cab, hood, firewall, doors, seat box, transmission tunnel and more. I still had a tone left over. It also made a huge difference in engine heat reduction and radiant heat from the roof. This place has pretty good prices.
http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/9789520

One of the best and cheapest mods I have done. And for the naysayers who say your truck will smell like asphalt on hot days, noway. I have had it out in 100 plus degree weather with no odor. In fact I just got back from a back country trip to Death Valley and temps reached 126.

Give it a go.

rickc

Adventurer
X3 on the stick-on convex mirrors - I did this already but if I were to do it again I'd pick the biggest ones that fit - the little 2" or 3" circles are OK but the bigger rectanglar ones are far better for blind spots.

One really cheap mod I did with my old 4-Runner was to get some light mosquito netting and make socks that go over the rear doors from the top just to below the window opening. I sewed them tight. This allowed me to sleep in the truck with the windows down - no more headaches in the morning and no more bites.

madizell

Explorer
I want to see some video on the bottle opener in use while negotiating a technical trail. Extra 10 points if the driver is the one using it.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Hmmm... cheap mods:

* 1972 Jeep J2000 - $1200 (does this count as cheap?)
* vintage magnesium wheels - $100
* 33" retread mud terrains - $240
* Sony MP3 stereo, Pioneer 3 way speakers - $45 (demo model from Fry's)
* Holley Truck Avenger 4bbl carb - $100 (brand new, but sold the vintage holley for $300!)
* Bed liner - $40 (did it myself - it was easy!)
* Hella Rallye 4000 Driving Lights - $50 (mismarked at kragen)
* 2 vintage Jerry cans - $15/ea from sportsmansguide.com

It has taken me a year and a half to do the above, but considering that all told I have less than $2000 invested in the truck I think I am doing okay.

DSCF2539.JPG

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I like how everything Except the driving lights is muddy.

On cheep mods. Hum.
I've been blessed with two fiberglass shells with dead gas struts. I found that a piece of 1/2" PVC (that was laying underfoot) cut to the right length serves nicely as a prop-stop. The body of the strut fits through the pipe, and the angle of the strut on opening causes the pipe to fall into place if the body is attached to the window rather than the shell. Makes for a one-handed opening, though two are needed to close.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
The one I liked the most: On the '85 4-runner I had, I found that the parts store had a direct-replacement bulb for the back-up lights that was a 30W halogen. About $10 for the two bulbs. Really helped when backing up at night.

Seth Kendall

Adventurer
BKCowGod said:
Hmmm... cheap mods:

* 1972 Jeep J2000 - $1200 (does this count as cheap?)
* vintage magnesium wheels - $100
* 33" retread mud terrains - $240
* Sony MP3 stereo, Pioneer 3 way speakers - $45 (demo model from Fry's)
* Holley Truck Avenger 4bbl carb - $100 (brand new, but sold the vintage holley for $300!)
* Bed liner - $40 (did it myself - it was easy!)
* Hella Rallye 4000 Driving Lights - $50 (mismarked at kragen)
* 2 vintage Jerry cans - $15/ea from sportsmansguide.com

It has taken me a year and a half to do the above, but considering that all told I have less than $2000 invested in the truck I think I am doing okay.

DSCF2539.JPG

You win. That is a complete build-up on the cheap. Way to go! Great looking truck.

vengeful

Explorer
I consider an "on the cheap" mod as something that doesn't take 3 months to pay off. LOL. Basically, anything that can be, or has been, done for under $100.

- Video Camera Mount - $35
- Pitch/Roll Meter - $25
- CO2 Tire Inflation/OBA Setup - $100 (Tank $50, Regulator $20 (eBay), Hose and fittings kit ($25), Tank mount ($5)
- 4x Baja Tough Roof Lights, Mounted, Wired and Installed - $85
- Repacked Nissan LSD - $100
- Hella 500FF Driving Lights - $29.88 (Mislabeled at Hell Mart)
- Bumper mounted Bottle Opener - $6
- 1/4" Skidplates - $0
- Sliders - $75 (Used)

Dowry

Observer
How about a "mod" you already own? A deftly handled "soda" can be opened by prying between a lugnut and the locking hub, if you've got a 5 x 5.5 lug pattern and stock Aisin hubs. (yes, it's a Samurai).

D

BiG BoB

Adventurer
Extending breathers can be done on the cheap (if required) with some hose, clamps and zip ties.

My latest cheapo mod was my rear work light.

I bought the light for a few dollars at a discount auto shop, fitted a bit of wire and a lighter plug. The light is attached to my tire carrier with a large hose clamp and the wire wraps around the inside of the carrier for storage. It plugs into the lighter socket on the back of my cruiser (A marine one with a rubber cover to keep water out).

Picture paints a thousand words...

IMGP3232.jpg

IMGP3233.jpg

IMGP3234.jpg

I use a bungee strap to either hold it open all the way and light up the camp until we're set up, or hold it against the tail gate to light my cooking area/desk/workbench

Sean

theksmith

Explorer
3m or similiar clear protective stone guard vinyl on your lights, helps to absorb some of the energy from rocks, especially pointy ones, and keep them from cracking your factory lights...

something along the lines of this:
http://www.stickercity.com/

Last edited:

cyclic

Adventurer
Lets the heat out of the engine compartment. A lot of people put loovers on the top of the hood to let built up heat escape.

Looks good, a pretty clean mod.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior