On the cheap modifications

Harald Hansen

Explorer
cyclic said:
Lets the heat out of the engine compartment. A lot of people put loovers on the top of the hood to let built up heat escape.

Looks good, a pretty clean mod.

I was just pulling his leg... :D Now I want a spare bonnet for the Disco to mount my hilift and shovel on. Of course painted matte black.

matthew-max

cheap mods

I guess while we are all sharing here are a few off the top of my head

-on board air system $50 )about, found a compressor in a junk yard, some old air line, and a 1.5 gal air tank from a broken air compressor)
-roll bar $0 (found it rusting in a friends yard)
-tool box $5 (from a yard sale, had to cut a foot off to fit the truck)
-front grill $8 (in used scrap steel, was cat walk from a factory)
-second set of head lights $14 (junk yard)
-farm jack mount $0 (welded on some spare bolts onto the roll bar)
-rear bumper $0 (was wrecked took some time with a torch)
-110amp alternator $40 (out of a mini van, junk yard, replaced the 60amp ome)
-10" extended front fenders $30 (scrap steel)
-rear add a leafs/lift $10 (off creagslist, off a jeep)
-sound system $115 (1000 watt amp on sale and kenwood 6x9's in enclosures from yard sale)
-heavy gage alt, battery, and alternator wiring $0 (hacked up some jumper cables)
-rock sliders $50 (creagslist)
-air horn and air gages $0 (semi going to scrap)
-a piller spot light $7 (junk yard)
-battery kill switch $1 (yard sale, great for welding on truck)
-blackout lights $5 (Myanmar)
-cup holder $0 (scrap steel)
-tire mounts $14 (junk yard)
-pa & siren $10 (Thailand)
-15"x8" chrome rims $10 (5 free from a friend, 1 from a yard sale)
-31" front tires $0 (friend)
-33" rear tires $0 (friend)
-jerry cans & mounts $0 (cans found & mounts made of scrap)
-front lift $0 (torsion bar crank)

I've got a bunch more planed, but this is whats done or almost finished so far. oh yea and the truck was free to start with :)
I do owe alot to the fact that i have friends who are very supportive and excited about my projects.
p.s. this is my first post on a forum so please no rude/flame replies :) thanks
l_0186c756e5bb4dedb6278bd98b70cfee.jpg
[/IMG]
l_6d7f0741f24146529fb87f4438e43a52.jpg

Last edited:

Dowry

Observer
theksmith said:
and i just posted this yesterday in jeep forum, qualifies as cheap...

how to make the bottom of the rear seats removable in a WJ (or simliar vehicles i guess): http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18969

Thanks for the inspiration! I just did this in my Samurai. It makes the whole rear seat removable without tools, although the front mounts are bigger than the XJ's, leaving behind somewhat bigger obstructions. But for me it's still worthwhile.

D

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Matthew-Max... I'm not gonna go so far as to say it's pretty, but something tells me that's not what you were going for :sombrero:

You'll have to tell us more about your vehicle!

Harald Hansen

Explorer
BKCowGod said:
Matthew-Max... I'm not gonna go so far as to say it's pretty, but something tells me that's not what you were going for :sombrero:

I'll second that!

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
BKCowGod said:

I agree.....umm but what did it start out its life as ?? very very interesting:safari-rig:

SGV

Adventurer
Maximus Ram said:
I agree.....umm but what did it start out its life as ?? very very interesting:safari-rig:

It kinda looks like it might be an old hardbody Nissan?:REOutShootinghunter

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
SGV said:
It kinda looks like it might be an old hardbody Nissan?:REOutShootinghunter

agreed, with that sharp front hood line, and if you delete the budging fenders and extra headlight on each side

matthew-max

my project

it's a 1990 d21 hardbody, with a ka (over 250 thousand miles on it!! looking into swapping in the engine from a 300zx)

i want to switch it to a utility bed if i can find a good deal at the local junk yard, i have rubberized canvas to make a bikini top but am waiting till i have the new bed, think i'm going to make a temp plywood roof for now, just got hooked up with aux 15 gal gas tank to mount under the bed (where the spare used to be).
1/2 finished on an all steel snorkel system
if i come across some cheep box steel and plexiglass i'll make some lambo doors for the winter. (only way they'll clear the spares)
oh yea and i do have a mount for my browning 30 cal, think i'll make a pineal out of tow ball and hitch if i find one.
now i just need to find a locker for the rear.
and i think it looks nice :)
any other questions?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan