Onboard Spare parts when off-roading/overlanding with an LR4 / Discovery 4

NASDIESEL

I carry spare height sensors, GAP, a spare compressor (remanufactured), some air line fittings (connectors, etc) and air line. I've had an air fitting blow out before on the trail and was lucky a friend had his ARB line repair kit. I have thought of carrying a spare axle or the like but frankly never hear of anyone lunching them.

The only other major break point I see that's common is the rear tie rod. Get yourself this kit, they ship international, or carry some extra tie rod bolts and extractor. When the bolt shears, you are kind of hosed. The recovery sucks. I've seen it 3x now on local trucks.
1614204393409.png

gabrielef

I carry spare height sensors, GAP, a spare compressor (remanufactured), some air line fittings (connectors, etc) and air line. I've had an air fitting blow out before on the trail and was lucky a friend had his ARB line repair kit. I have thought of carrying a spare axle or the like but frankly never hear of anyone lunching them.

The only other major break point I see that's common is the rear tie rod. Get yourself this kit, they ship international, or carry some extra tie rod bolts and extractor. When the bolt shears, you are kind of hosed. The recovery sucks. I've seen it 3x now on local trucks.
View attachment 644115

Good info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJLI

Adventurer

what kit is that? link?

soflorovers

View attachment 644115
Depending on tire size, CVs become consumables real quick. A spare axle isn't the worst idea. I've broken 1 myself and the previous owner had replaced 3. My T-Case was the last thing to break on 35" out on the trail. Stripped some teeth and started skipping/jumping teeth pretty badly after a while. A blown CV will end your day, so a spare axle isn't a bad choice. The issue is that they're all different sizes on the LR3 I believe (rears are unequal length - not sure about front).

Edit: I only blew one axle.

rgallant

Adventurer
@Marine_Diesel You have lots to start with here, and while stuff happens if you keep your maintenance up and do a good pre-trip inspections you should be fine in most cases. Things break but you can never cover every eventuality, but try checking a few of the LR4 enthusiast boards for more ideas.

Have been out with several LR3/LR4s' on 4 and 5 day trips all off road and none have had any issues worth mentioning.

gabrielef

@Marine_Diesel You have lots to start with here, and while stuff happens if you keep your maintenance up and do a good pre-trip inspections you should be fine in most cases. Things break but you can never cover every eventuality, but try checking a few of the LR4 enthusiast boards for more ideas.

Have been out with several LR3/LR4s' on 4 and 5 day trips all off road and none have had any issues worth mentioning.

This ^^^^ They are just great rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iowalr4

Adventurer

You have seen this 3 times? I haven't heard of this before at all and I can't really find any reference of this happening anywhere online. (not that this means much, i know people don't go posting every time a failure happens). Do you think it is worth the unsprung weight adding brackets? How hard a hit did they have to pop them? Is this perhaps partly due to worn tie rod bushes causing stress in the bolt?

I'm just wondering how much preventative maintenance could solve for this rather than bolting on weight there. It seems like a decent design, but you have me thinking now about this as a risk about a month out from another trip with plenty of rough stuff. :D

Shigeta

W6EXP
[...] you have me thinking now about this as a risk about a month out from another trip with plenty of rough stuff. :D

Agreed, I've never seen any reference to this problem, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. As I'm packing for a trip to Death Valley, now I'm worrying about it too! ?

NASDIESEL

Do you think it is worth the unsprung weight adding brackets? How hard a hit did they have to pop them? Is this perhaps partly due to worn tie rod bushes causing stress in the bolt?

Unfortunately I didn't perform analysis on the broken bits to be able to tell you the cause and effect. But in all instances the trucks were heavy, wheeling considerably offroad on challenging trails, all in the northeast (corrosion definitely possible). I don't see the brackets as introducing a lot of unsprung weight. If you are worried about yourself pre-trip, least I would do is buy some new bolts and either install and/or carry spares and bolt extraction tools. Very cheap and adds very little weight....

XJLI

Adventurer
Those brackets are cheap and easy enough to be insurance against that break. Thats a BAD recovery situation. I'd rather drive out on the bumpstops.

NASDIESEL

Those brackets are cheap and easy enough to be insurance against that break. Thats a BAD recovery situation. I'd rather drive out on the bumpstops.
Always make sure you have lots of ratchet straps and available log to wedge underneath to drag the truck out with ... the recovery sucks. ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior