Onboard Spare parts when off-roading/overlanding with an LR4 / Discovery 4

XJLI

Adventurer
Always make sure you have lots of ratchet straps and available log to wedge underneath to drag the truck out with ... the recovery sucks. ;-)

I've dragged Jeeps out of rock gardens with broken off control arm mounts. It suuuuuucks.

soflorovers

You have seen this 3 times? I haven't heard of this before at all and I can't really find any reference of this happening anywhere online. (not that this means much, i know people don't go posting every time a failure happens). Do you think it is worth the unsprung weight adding brackets? How hard a hit did they have to pop them? Is this perhaps partly due to worn tie rod bushes causing stress in the bolt?

I'm just wondering how much preventative maintenance could solve for this rather than bolting on weight there. It seems like a decent design, but you have me thinking now about this as a risk about a month out from another trip with plenty of rough stuff. :D
DSCOFEVER had this failure on his LR4 - documented it on IG.

gatorgrizz27

It‘s the first I’ve heard of the rear tie rod failure, but I’m the only guy I know that actually wheels an LR3. :)

I can see it happening in either an impact or strain situation that it isn’t really designed for. Either the tire coming into a ledge that’s angled horizontally, and it tries to slide its way to the side like they often do on wet logs, or dropping off a vertical step and hitting a solid obstacle with the inner or outer tire sidewall.

I have personally put the outer sidewall or wheel into stumps and ground/pivoted around them on tight trails, so I’m interested in adding the support brackets. I haven’t looked at ordering them just yet, if the shipping from Italy is expensive I’d be willing to participate/organize a group buy. Not sure they would discount the part itself, but might be worth it if shipping is 1/4-1/2 the price of the part.

gatorgrizz27

Just checked and the price just says 100 euro plus shipping. It also just occurred to me that you might be able to “get by” with some type of a shock mounting bracket mounted to one of the brake caliper mounting bolts, then through the tie rod end with a new bolt and nut after it has broken.

Obviously the wheel would be angled rather than straight on that side, but it would be better than walking all over the place. The part posted would be preferable if it can prevent the break in the first place, but it might make a good repair to carry if you wheel with other LR3‘s and 4’s that aren’t running the support brackets.

NASDIESEL

Just a suggestion but if purchasing the bracket is not something you want , I'd recommend regularly changing the bolt itself. Exchanging it for a higher grade or carrying extras and extractors. In 1/3 cases I've been with, we extracted the remaining bolt trailside and it was fairly painless. But you need the tools to do it.

Marine_Diesel

Great input guys, yep from what I can find out these are pretty reliable apart from the known engine failure points and a few sensors for peace of mind wouldn’t go amiss.

As far as the brackets discussed above go,200 bucks isn’t too much for peace of mind with marginal increase in unsprung weight. It would be interesting to know what the shear strength of the factory bolts are though.

Stu.

El Solis

Adventurer
Anyone know what the size of those bolts are? Save me from yanking them to find out I figure it’s easier to carry the bolts at this time.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just_MWB cruiser

I have an LR3 but lots of cross over with LR4 ... not including tire repair gear, I carry spare belts, fuses, gap tool, one spark plug, one ignition coil, an most important an spare alternator. Discover 3 and 4s have their alternators so low and forward in the engine excessive dust and water crossings can kill these easy .. I’ve have 2 fail after off roading so put in a good quality bosh and carry a spare now. More importantly I keep a good maintenance schedule and take truck in every 5000miles to LR guru in Huntington Beach ( Carrs4x4) .

gabrielef

I have an LR3 but lots of cross over with LR4 ... not including tire repair gear, I carry spare belts, fuses, gap tool, one spark plug, one ignition coil, an most important an spare alternator. Discover 3 and 4s have their alternators so low and forward in the engine excessive dust and water crossings can kill these easy .. I’ve have 2 fail after off roading so put in a good quality bosh and carry a spare now. More importantly I keep a good maintenance schedule and take truck in every 5000miles to LR guru in Huntington Beach ( Carrs4x4) .

I swapped out my alternator for the Power Bastards high output alternator (250A vs 150A). The LR3/4 seems to be finicky with electrical supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spikemd

Explorer
I've seen a rear tie rod destroyed on an LR3 on the trail firsthand. We had to ratchet strap and limp to pavement and wait for a tow. Its more common than u think. That bracket definitely looks worthwhile.

iowalr4

Adventurer
I've seen a rear tie rod destroyed on an LR3 on the trail firsthand. We had to ratchet strap and limp to pavement and wait for a tow. Its more common than u think. That bracket definitely looks worthwhile.

They don't seem to respond to email inquiries. Would be interested in a light aluminum version made in the states.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior