"One Less Sprinter" Econoline Build

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
So after selling my very modified Tacoma, I'm now building my 2013 Ford E250 Van and documenting the process on youtube! The idea with the build was basically a Sprinter but on 35's with 12" of wheel travel, a Highroof from Wasatch Overland and a locker. Watch along and please give me any feedback or insight you may have!

681AC083-7C5B-4614-BC93-D707CF31D3FD.JPEG

Raul

Adventurer
Nice videos. How do you like the PowerTrax locker on day to day driving? It's my understanding they are kind of noise on tight turns and quite abrupt on slipery situations.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Nice videos. How do you like the PowerTrax locker on day to day driving? It's my understanding they are kind of noise on tight turns and quite abrupt on slipery situations.

I love the locker so far, no issues whatsoever. It’s not loud at all but if you get on it from a stop around a turn it’ll definitely chirp the tires. I’ve driven it in the rain a ton but not the snow. I’ll be going to SLC in a couple weeks so we’ll see then haha. I’ll report back.

iggi

Ian
Had one in my old Landcruiser. Lots of miles on ice and snow. Definitely some noise on tight turns but even with a relatively short wheelbase and manual transmission I found it easy enough to manage in slippery conditions. You do have to modify your driving style a bit, mainly in not abruptly coming off the throttle while making a tight turn (unless you wanted to break the rear end loose).

Daviticus

Love the vids, and sick van so far! Can't wait to see it in person at the shop (I'm WO's electrician/accessories guy). We have the Grocery Getter kit on our shop van and it made a massive difference.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
Love the vids, and sick van so far! Can't wait to see it in person at the shop (I'm WO's electrician/accessories guy). We have the Grocery Getter kit on our shop van and it made a massive difference.

Oh awesome I’ll see ya in a few days! I’ll probably have to pick your brain a bit haha

Farfrumwork

I know it's all in jest, but I find it funny when someone says 'one less Sprinter' when they are building/driving an E-series van (and there are so many more E-series vans than Sprinters) ? :)

Hope your van build goes well and you get the vehicle YOU want out of it.?

Thoughts (insights) on RWD with a locker, though my experience was not a E-series - I installed a Syncro transmission in my 2wd '85 Westy Weekender (previous van). This brought a low gear and a locking diff to the party.
The low gear was awesome! And super useful for crawling around trails. The limited travel of the vanagon meant that it would lift a tire at the slightest undulation, so the locker really came in handy as well.
But while I'd say that the rear-only locker in the 2wd was great when on high traction surfaces, it failed me in snow/ice. I'm not sure how the PowerTrax functions, but the locked diff scenario is not something you drive up the mnt with (duh) as you would with 4x4 or AWD.

The next year I completed the whole Syncro swap, so I had '4x4' with the locker in the rear, a decoupler, and an open diff in the front (I wanted to get it to a 3-knob setup, but....) The Syncro swap was initiated after being stuck in front of my house in ~1ft of snow, both rear tires spinning (BFG TA's) on flat ground, and being rescued by my wife in her Forester.... The Syncro was almost unstoppable in snow.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
I know it's all in jest, but I find it funny when someone says 'one less Sprinter' when they are building/driving an E-series van (and there are so many more E-series vans than Sprinters) ? :)

Hope your van build goes well and you get the vehicle YOU want out of it.?

Thoughts (insights) on RWD with a locker, though my experience was not a E-series - I installed a Syncro transmission in my 2wd '85 Westy Weekender (previous van). This brought a low gear and a locking diff to the party.
The low gear was awesome! And super useful for crawling around trails. The limited travel of the vanagon meant that it would lift a tire at the slightest undulation, so the locker really came in handy as well.
But while I'd say that the rear-only locker in the 2wd was great when on high traction surfaces, it failed me in snow/ice. I'm not sure how the PowerTrax functions, but the locked diff scenario is not something you drive up the mnt with (duh) as you would with 4x4 or AWD.

The next year I completed the whole Syncro swap, so I had '4x4' with the locker in the rear, a decoupler, and an open diff in the front (I wanted to get it to a 3-knob setup, but....) The Syncro swap was initiated after being stuck in front of my house in ~1ft of snow, both rear tires spinning (BFG TA's) on flat ground, and being rescued by my wife in her Forester.... The Syncro was almost unstoppable in snow.

It's definitely in jest due to the explosion in popularity of sprinter vans within the offroad space. The powertrax no slip locker acts more like an LSD on the street but still locks up completely when in a straight line and on the power. I live in Southern CA and honestly don't really enjoy the snow that much so that's not much of a concern for me, we camp in the desert during winter to stay warm haha.

aarcaris94

I've been following along on Instagram and Youtube but it's great to see a build thread going on here as well! Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

inv3ctiv3

Adventurer
New video! This time I go a bit more in detail about how we're gonna use the SPODs in the van cause I got a ton of messages asking about the SPOD and what it was:

Atl-atl

Adventurer
This is definitely my favourite van mod, the lifted 2WD is so much better behaved than a 4WD conversion. Better ride, better handling and growing up in farm Alberta in the 1970s, yes a 2WD with a locker is as good as a 4WD conversion. In the winter if you want to go further than a 4WD,,,, just add rear chains.
View attachment 772856
Maybe, just maybe, if the only snow you drive on is plowed roads or snow less than 6” deep 2wd with chains could be better but if you are trying to go offroad under any conditions, 4wd is better. If you were right, there would be no 4wd vehicles in the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998