OOPS SORRY

REDROVER

Explorer
OOPS I REALLY DIDNT WANT THIS TO HAPEN BUT I GUESS ITS PART OF THE ADVENTURE . TNX TO MY FRONT BAR NO OTHER PARTS GOT DAMAGED, only the front bar was bent.

awesome meat tho :) she died instantly

Eric

Attachments

• land rover road kill 009.jpg
    land rover road kill 009.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 50
  • land rover road kill 011.jpg
    land rover road kill 011.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 44
  • land rover road kill 010.jpg
    land rover road kill 010.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 42

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Ugh...you can't be serious! You do realize that if the bowels ruptured the meat is probably tainted. Did you call the game warden to make sure it was legal to take the meat from fresh road kill?

I havent ever heard of rednecks in the rural south butchering road kill on the side of the road....this "takes the cake" Then you posed with it....unbelievable.

REDROVER

Explorer
Ugh...you can't be serious!

unfortunatly i am :( it was so fast i didnt even had a chance to see it, all i did notice was the tamping sound and she flew away, the good thing is she was dead before i realized what just happend , and even better that she wasnt pregnant that would make me feel like sh,it .

REDROVER

Explorer
Ugh...you can't be serious! You do realize that if the bowels ruptured the meat is probably tainted. Did you call the game warden to make sure it was legal to take the meat from fresh road kill?

I havent ever heard of rednecks in the rural south butchering road kill on the side of the road....this "takes the cake" Then you posed with it....unbelievable.

this place has no phone service , so i couldnt call, and was gonna go to waist anyways why not use the meat , the impact was on her head, all the internal organs were ok

even if that time ranger whould come, it was accident no bullet place, i dont realyy know how the law is regarding those kind of accidents

LtFuzz

Explorer
You do realize that if the bowels ruptured the meat is probably tainted. Did you call the game warden to make sure it was legal to take the meat from fresh road kill?

I've spent most of the last 10 years in Colorado and Arizona... I've never heard of anyone calling Fish & Game to get clearance to dress a roadkill. "Legal"? How could it be illegal? It's not poaching. Now, a protected species that was hit and not reported, well that's a different story and it's up to the integrity of the vehicle driver to report that.

Then again I've never heard of anyone dressing a roadkill, either. It's not just the bowels you need to worry about, but the stomach and all the different glands that can taint the meant.

Now if you baited a road, etc., I can see what what you mean... but who does that?

bucketosudz

Explorer
It IS Illegal in many states to take a vehicle/animal accident killed animal and furthermore will lead to some hefty fines if caught. It is also illegal in some states to "put a animal out of it's misery" regardless on how you personally feel about this, others just ask for notification before taking the animal. Something to consider...

Last edited:

bucketosudz

Explorer
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/nongame/research_permit/scp/salvg_issues.html

"No one, even a holder of a Scientific Collecting Permit (SCP), can pick up road kills, native bird feathers, or collect owl pellets or other animal parts without a SCP authorizating the salvage of dead amphibians, reptiles, birds, and/or mammals.

If you salvage any Standard Exception species, you must contact the Department at (916) 653 - 4875 within two business days. The telephone number also is given on the back of the permit in the text of authorization 10. The disposition of the specimen(s) is at the discretion of the Department."

Salvaged specimens should be deposited in a public scientific or educational institution. In general, if open to the public, a depository doesn't need to have a permit to possess the specimens. However, we suggest that each specimen received is accompanied by documentation of legal take.

http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/tag/roadkill/

"Answer: The officer was correct. It is illegal to pick up roadkill wildlife in California. No one may possess wildlife in any form unless the animal was legally taken by a licensed hunter during the hunting season for that species and while using approved harvest methods. Given this, even if the first criteria were true (your friend was a licensed hunter), motor vehicles are not a legal method of take. The next time your friend sees an animal killed on the roadway, he should not attempt to retrieve it for any purpose."

lostagain

Observer
it's illegal here in UT, my buddy hit an elk and while he was dressing it to take the meat home a warden pulled up. he explained what happened and the warden got him with poaching. come to find out you need a signed tag from a warden IF the warden ok's it. if he don't you drive off and he disposes of the animal. when we asked him about it he said ALL animals and birds are required the signed tag before you can remove it from highways.

I'd like to know where it's illegal to do what he did. That way I avoid a state that is letting emotions of tree huggers interfere with common sense. Good for you not letting it go to waste, also if the was tainted you could always donate the meat to a zoo or other animal shelters. The Wolf rescue up in Divide, CO gets quite a bit of their meat from roadkill. Also for those of you that think it's not normal this is very normal Down South especially with people who don't believe in letting things go to waste. Not everyone prefers their meat from McDonalds ;)

bucketosudz

Explorer
I'd like to know where it's illegal to do what he did. That way I avoid a state that is letting emotions of tree huggers interfere with common sense. Good for you not letting it go to waste, also if the was tainted you could always donate the meat to a zoo or other animal shelters. The Wolf rescue up in Divide, CO gets quite a bit of their meat from roadkill. Also for those of you that think it's not normal this is very normal Down South especially with people who don't believe in letting things go to waste. Not everyone prefers their meat from McDonalds ;)

:rolleyes:

It has absolutely nothing to do with "tree hugger" interfering with common sense or the insensitive types. Furthermore the meat doesn't "go to waste" it becomes carrion for a variety of other animals. Colorado Division of Wildlife also takes roadkill and processes it and donates it to variety of organizations as well. That said, you might also want to check with your local Division of Wildlife office, it might be necessary to head back "Down South".

I might add that I hunted for 25+years and hunting provided sustenance for my family for many of those years. If it is illegal to take an roadkill animal or otherwise, it stays as it lays regardless of how I "feel" about it. It sucks as I hate to see any animal suffer or be wasted anymore than the rest, but judges won't give three poops what you think when it comes right down to it.

Last edited:

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Here in Arizona it is legal if you are the car that hit the animal. A few years ago, I saw a deer get hit a couple cars ahead of me, there was actually a police officer a few cars behind me, the accident driver, the officer, and I stopped, the deer was alive but terminal, the officer dispatched the deer, the driving victim got a tag from the officer and then signed it over to me. You need the paperwork straight if you are taking the animal to a proscessor. I did all the butchering myself. Easy meat in the freezer.

tacr2man

Adventurer
I find this thread amazing ! Land of the free? In UK or Australia no such problems ( ps I am not intending in anyway to be insulting ,or denigrate the USA ) just surprised .

jessejman

Adventurer
I find this thread amazing ! Land of the free? In UK or Australia no such problems ( ps I am not intending in anyway to be insulting ,or denigrate the USA ) just surprised .

Agreed. I'd like to know what the impetus is behind the laws. The law seems ignorant. Of course, I am from "Down South," so obviously, my judgement is skewed.

ThomD

Explorer
Agreed. I'd like to know what the impetus is behind the laws. The law seems ignorant. Of course, I am from "Down South," so obviously, my judgement is skewed.

Tennessee has one of the few laws explicitly allowing for road kill cooking. It was passed in 1999. If it a deer you still have to notify the warden within 48 hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears