Ouachita National Forest - April 6-8

hattrik21

Adventurer
OK how many people are eating burgers Friday night and how many for Fajitas on Sat? I just want to make sure I get enough buns and fajitas for everyone?

2500Adventures

Adventurer
I'm gunna cook something like 15 burgers perhaps. I'm planning on 2 and so is my friend, I think you wanted 2 as well. Not sure if Tony wants one or not, I'm sure he does though...lol. Plus the extra ones cooked i was planning on having for lunch(es) perhaps. I'll be bringing some chips as well and maybe even a dessert. But I'm for sure up for some fajitas and so is my friend. I'll probably have a few (2-3) tortillas and so will he. Thanks for cooking Sat night Daniel, much appreciated!!

hattrik21

Adventurer
I'm cooking on Sat? I don't mind cooking as long as I have something to cook on as I don't have a grill yet. Can I borrow one of the grills?

jg45

Hey guys, pack your cold weather bags. The forcast is showing the low to be 34F for Friday night. Also a slight chance of T-storms on Saturday. Being down on the water may make it feel even colder.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Daniel and Scott,

Let's start an email thread tomorrow morning (Wed) about who's bringing what so that we're all clear and I know what else to bring. For example, it would suck to have plenty of fajita meat but not enough tortillas or no cheese, etc. I'm thinking we can start a word doc or spreadsheet and simply add to it and redistribute until we think it's complete.

Count me in for 2 burgers--do you want me to bring tomatoes and onions? I don't care to mess with lettuce, but it's nice to have if someone really wants it.

So, I can provide dessert one of the nights--anyone up for apple cobbler or similar?

Also, I usually make the coffee when I camp, so count me in for providing that for everyone--just make sure you have a mug (I'll have 1/2 & 1/2 and sugar too for those who like it).

In addition, I'd be glad to provide breakfast tacos for one morning and toasted bagels & cream cheese, or pancakes the other morning (haven't decided yet).

I've got a grate that fits over a fire. I'll bring it and a bag of mesquite wood for grilling the fajitas.

On a separate note: Scott could you please let us know when you think you'll be getting to Broken Bow lake? Once we know that, Daniel and I will know when to leave the Dallas area.

Did we determine a meeting point? I can email coordinates for a trailhead or we can meet at Beaver's Bend State Park--at the visitor center (it's only 15 minutes out of the way).

Rainsuits sound like a good idea. I'd recommend being prepared for warm and cold; dry and wet weather.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
tdesanto said:
Daniel and Scott,

Let's start an email thread tomorrow morning (Wed) about who's bringing what so that we're all clear and I know what else to bring. For example, it would suck to have plenty of fajita meat but not enough tortillas or no cheese, etc. I'm thinking we can start a word doc or spreadsheet and simply add to it and redistribute until we think it's complete.

Count me in for 2 burgers--do you want me to bring tomatoes and onions? I don't care to mess with lettuce, but it's nice to have if someone really wants it.

So, I can provide dessert one of the nights--anyone up for apple cobbler or similar?

Also, I usually make the coffee when I camp, so count me in for providing that for everyone--just make sure you have a mug (I'll have 1/2 & 1/2 and sugar too for those who like it).

In addition, I'd be glad to provide breakfast tacos for one morning and toasted bagels & cream cheese, or pancakes the other morning (haven't decided yet).

I've got a grate that fits over a fire. I'll bring it and a bag of mesquite wood for grilling the fajitas.

On a separate note: Scott could you please let us know when you think you'll be getting to Broken Bow lake? Once we know that, Daniel and I will know when to leave the Dallas area.

Did we determine a meeting point? I can email coordinates for a trailhead or we can meet at Beaver's Bend State Park--at the visitor center (it's only 15 minutes out of the way).

Rainsuits sound like a good idea. I'd recommend being prepared for warm and cold; dry and wet weather.

2 Burgers noted...now will those be cheese or no cheese?

Meeting at Beaver's Bend State Park sounds good to me.

I'll get back to you on when I think I'll be getting into Beaver's Bend SP, but I would think sometime around noon I could be there no problem.

Just saw that I got an e-mail from you now so i'll respond to that too...

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
2006KJSPORT4x4 said:
2 Burgers noted...now will those be cheese or no cheese?

Cheese, of course. I didn't know that burgers came any other way :D

2006KJSPORT4x4 said:
I'll get back to you on when I think I'll be getting into Beaver's Bend SP, but I would think sometime around noon I could be there no problem.

Noon sounds good. I'll work it out with Daniel and we'll be there no later than noon on Friday. If you guys want to meet earlier, just say the word.

If anyone else would like to simply hit the trail running, I can pick a starting point and I'll provide coordinates. Otherwise, I think the visitor center at BBSP is a good spot and we can plan from there.

hattrik21

Adventurer
So if i'm looking at this right, there's gonna be 3 of us there for the weekend?

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
hattrik21 said:
So if i'm looking at this right, there's gonna be 3 of us there for the weekend?

As I see it, for the whole weekend we have 3 vehicles and 4 people (Scott has someone riding shotgun). For Friday day, we have Fat_Man touring with us as well in his vehicle.

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Sounds about right to me...^^^^^^ Looking forward to it guys. Not sure what time Fat Man will bewanting to get going Friday morning but I'm game for leaving Conway at anytime...

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Scott,

I just sent you the directions. Let me know if they are clear enough.

As far as start time, I have to stay in town until 8 to hand off the oncall phone. But I was hoping to hit the road as soon as I dropped it off. You folks could even follow me up there and we could hit the road from there.

As soon after 8 that we can hit the road, the better. Leaving Conway by a little after 8 would still have it be 11-12 before we got to BB. I want to be able to ride along for a few hours before having to head back, so the sooner we rally in BB and start heading into the forest...the better.

From Conway, especially considering LR will be congested with rush hour traffic at that hour, I figured we could take the back way. Hwy 60 to Hwy 9, then through a scenic dirt road in the ONF to HWY 7.

From HWY 7 we would go south into Hot Springs then hit 70 which would take us all the way to BB.

Let me know if this sounds like a good plan to you. Let me know also if you did not get my e-mail or if I am particularly bad at directions....

What time did you expect to be arriving in Conway?

2500Adventures

Adventurer
The directions seem to be well enough Fat Man (or David as i feel I can call you now...well crap i just realized it's in your signature this whole time...lol). I don't foresee any issue with them. Looking forward to meeting up with you Thursday night. Last time I drove into LR it took me about 2 and 3/4 hours so I'd say we'll get in latest 10pm. We are planning on getting on the road about 6 and heading out of Memphis. I got your number now so if anything shouid interfere with our arrival I'll be sure to let you know. THANKS AGAIN!!!

And the Friday morning plans sound fine with me. Would it be cool to stop at a gas station to top off the Jeep? (Unless we do it b4 pulling into your place Thurs. night of course)

2500Adventures

Adventurer
Hey John, if you read this before it's too late, you can still tag along, we'd love to have ya out there with us. We know how family rolls though. Hope you have a great Easter Holiday regardless. We'll be sure to get some pictures for you and make it look like we are having a miserable time so then you won't feel so bad for niot coming...lol. Take care and look forward to finally wheeling or driving out with ya to whereever...

Wanderlusty

Explorer
There are several gas stations on the way through LR or at the Mayflower exit on the way in on Thurs, and there are several on the way out on Friday, so whichever suits. I will need to top off too.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
So, Daniel and I will meet you guys at Beaver's Bend State Park visitors center. It's only 15 minutes or so from some of the trails. Just take 259A to the east from 259. It's only a short drive north of Idabel.

Our ETA should be 11:45-12:00pm.

Looking forward to it.

There appears to be some really cool spots along the Glover river (west of 259) that I thought might be a good place to start. Or we could start with the trails closer to the lake. I'll have my laptop and 3D topo software so that we could take a quick look and pick a route before we head out.

Have a safe trip gentlemen.

See you Friday.:smiley_drive:

TD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle