Our Box Truck RV Conversion

java

Expedition Leader
I'll try to be helpful....

You need to determine if the box your going to use and your trucks frame rails will line up. Ideally they are stacked so that you can use a U bolt (or similar) around the the frame of the truck. In this case all you would need is a spacer to lift it above the frame rails enough to clear your gas tank and whatever else sticks up. You want to keep it as low as possible.

I think finding the box is going to be the first step, then you can determine what your going to need for a spacer or frame to hold it.

If they rails on the box and the rails on your truck don't line up (I'm guessing they won't....) your going to need to build something like you have out of the perforated, but out of much stronger tube as its going to have to support the weight of the box and be the connection. It's going to have to be pretty beefy if that's the case.

Looking for boxes, id look for one that doesn't have skirts, they are likely going to have heavily modified and It seems like tool boxes underneath is a better solution. Same with wheel Wells, measure carefully, they may not be even close to where you need them.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The Artisan

Adventurer
Red look for a 10 foot box that comes off a box van. The small uhauls penske etc. Here is one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morgan-Van-...d7d4e9c&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=382019446803.
If you find one you can contact the seller and get him to get C to C on the frame rail, you might get lucky and be close.
I sold my 12 foot morgan with AC unit for $2200. I would suggest saving if you can not find what you want straight away. A basic small box is all you would need. As Java stated you will need to weld a structural tube system that will line up over the rails for the Ubolts.
I would also suggest staying away from boxes with sides, just more things you have to factor with your truck.
Here is how most flat bed boxes mount, morgan shown https://www.morgancorp.com/images/dry-freight/ldx/01_features/bottom stack/01_df_ldx.jpg
One thing to remember what is your payload on your truck? Try to stay well bellow it with fully furnished camper.
Kevin

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
I'll try to be helpful....

You need to determine if the box your going to use and your trucks frame rails will line up. Ideally they are stacked so that you can use a U bolt (or similar) around the the frame of the truck. In this case all you would need is a spacer to lift it above the frame rails enough to clear your gas tank and whatever else sticks up. You want to keep it as low as possible.

I think finding the box is going to be the first step, then you can determine what your going to need for a spacer or frame to hold it.

If they rails on the box and the rails on your truck don't line up (I'm guessing they won't....) your going to need to build something like you have out of the perforated, but out of much stronger tube as its going to have to support the weight of the box and be the connection. It's going to have to be pretty beefy if that's the case.

Looking for boxes, id look for one that doesn't have skirts, they are likely going to have heavily modified and It seems like tool boxes underneath is a better solution. Same with wheel Wells, measure carefully, they may not be even close to where you need them.

Thank you! My wheelbase is abou 6ft from end to end and the box is 7' wide. The 3" suspension lift and perforated bars on my frame put the lowest point of the box other than skirts and bumper well above the wheels. My assumption was that this would clear but not sure about front of the box.

java

Expedition Leader
FWIW here is what mine looks like on an f450. 2x4 spacer to clear the axle hump, bolted every couple feet
1d5be15b5a2f663a317d63aaa2da8b30.jpg
26180a894c86b50d14f7743bb3450b67.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Also, assuming your truck wasn't a cab chassis before, most used boxes are not going to have the correct frame spacing, can chassis trucks have narrower frames.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Red is yours permanent or temp?. There is another option, a proper welded frame ubolted to the stock rails with welded diamond plate on top. Now you can add a box to the deck. Large diameter carriage bolts through the box and through the deck say 3 on each side and one in the middle on the ends.
Kevin

redman4556

Adventurer
Red look for a 10 foot box that comes off a box van. The small uhauls penske etc. Here is one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Morgan-Van-...d7d4e9c&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=382019446803.
If you find one you can contact the seller and get him to get C to C on the frame rail, you might get lucky and be close.
I sold my 12 foot morgan with AC unit for $2200. I would suggest saving if you can not find what you want straight away. A basic small box is all you would need. As Java stated you will need to weld a structural tube system that will line up over the rails for the Ubolts.
I would also suggest staying away from boxes with sides, just more things you have to factor with your truck.
Here is how most flat bed boxes mount, morgan shown https://www.morgancorp.com/images/dry-freight/ldx/01_features/bottom stack/01_df_ldx.jpg
One thing to remember what is your payload on your truck? Try to stay well bellow it with fully furnished camper.
Kevin

Oh screw this, you guys are right. Way too many factors with side skirt, wheel well style boxes. I appreciate all of the very helpful advice.
It's a duramax diesel 3500hd and I'm keeping it light so payload shouldn't be an issue.
I WOULD LOVE TO FIND 10' BOX. Been looking EVERYWHERE. God I've driven 3 hours to look at one that was way too beat up. I looked at your link, sadly not a 10'. :(

redman4556

Adventurer
Also, assuming your truck wasn't a cab chassis before, most used boxes are not going to have the correct frame spacing, can chassis trucks have narrower frames.

8 (on each side) mounts on rails of my truck going to the support support tubing of the box, and ubolting perforated bars to box's subframe for good measure. Hence all the perforation nonsense. MUCH less drilling ;)

redman4556

Adventurer
Red is yours permanent or temp?. There is another option, a proper welded frame ubolted to the stock rails with welded diamond plate on top. Now you can add a box to the deck. Large diameter carriage bolts through the box and through the deck say 3 on each side and one in the middle on the ends.
Kevin

Temporary, on a shoestring budget with no connections or friends to help, and as much as I LOVE your idea, sounds expensive and requiring a lot of waiting, drilling, etc. My final product is expected to weigh less than 2k lbs. With the support of the mounts on my trucks frame rails, those perforated bars will hold much more dynamic force than you guys are giving them credit for. I did get a kick out of the comment about seeing those stop signs knocked down all the time. As if the wind did that :sombrero:

redman4556

Adventurer
It sure seems like you are giving the "3 finger salute" to the people here that are trying to guide/ help you! If you can not afford a project you desire... Then maybe you would be better off setting your "goals" to a more obtainable level??? Have you thought about looking at touring bicycles?

I wouldn't dream of treating anyone actually making any attempt to help in such a manner. Thanks for the laugh :)

The Artisan

Adventurer
Temporary, on a shoestring budget with no connections or friends to help, and as much as I LOVE your idea, sounds expensive and requiring a lot of waiting, drilling, etc. My final product is expected to weigh less than 2k lbs. With the support of the mounts on my trucks frame rails, those perforated bars will hold much more dynamic force than you guys are giving them credit for. I did get a kick out of the comment about seeing those stop signs knocked down all the time. As if the wind did that :sombrero:
I think Mogan 10s are 1800lbs, wont give you much room for much...
Kevin

redman4556

Adventurer
Red where are you located?
Kevin

I GENUINELY appreciate everyone who is offering solid advice. I've learned a ton and made lots of deductions based on your recommendations and info. I take it from the crickets on the subject that I shouldn't think abou trying to secure a 12' box to my frame?

MY BAD: Located in Los Angeles, California.

Last edited:

redman4556

Adventurer
I think Mogan 10s are 1800lbs, wont give you much room for much...
Kevin

Those Morgan's are built tough indeed! They're also far more expensive (normally) than ones I'm looking at. My budget for the box was $1000. I'm willing to go up to $1300 for a perfect scenario. 10'-12' boxes I have looked at range from 850-1500 lbs. I do not plan on adding much weight. Maybe 400lbs at most including water.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Red sorry don't know much about your truck. Know a bit more on the cabovers. Let me ask you what's your main goal with the camper. People, storage etc. Can you get by with something smaller? Can you setup a temp structure on the flatbed.
I don't think others are being neg, they are more concerned of your safety and others....
Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman