Our Box Truck RV Conversion

redman4556

Adventurer
No worries Kona, you're helping plenty! I need a minimum of 10x6'4x6'2 worth of space. Sadly flatbed rigging is expensiveeee as far as my resources are concerned. My goal is really multipurpose but aside from under bed storage I'm trying to fit a large mattress and bathroom for wannabe redneck glamping for 2.

redman4556

Adventurer

I've seen all three ads :)
I should have mentioned (I did earlier but not in my last synopsis) that this box is getting taken off its original truck and going on the back of my current truck. Therefore it pretty much has to be 10ft. 12 if I decide to go absolutely crazy. My budget is super low, but certainly not to the level of impossibility. Plus craigslist prices are very often negotiable.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Oh I know but for a little more you can have a dedicated camper box truck. No mounting etc. Tad more on insurance though..
Kevin

redman4556

Adventurer
Oh I know but for a little more you can have a dedicated camper box truck. No mounting etc. Tad more on insurance though..
Kevin

My biggest limiting factor is my living situation. I am only allowed to keep one vehicle here. I don't want to pay for storage. What I mean by temporary is not welded so that the box can be removed for mechanical work or other.

redman4556

Adventurer
No joke DUDE!!!! I just spent $25K on reviving Casa! Did you hear me gripe about it?... "weep weep" how expensive it is to own a land yacht! NO! DO YOU SEE ANY OTHER "BIG ADVENTURE TRUCK" OWNERS SNIVELING ABOUT MONEY??? NO!

How about you wear the "big boy pants", or... Go shopping for a touring bicycle!

Someone's judgemental! I've got bigger projects to put big boy bucks on, thank you. I'm not expecting to build this camper for $1300 or less. But I certainly know that's more than fair for a used 10-12 foot aluminum cargo box. Any constructive input to provide, or are you still pissed about my delay in explaining the perforated bars? :coffeedrink:

redman4556

Adventurer
I would like to "Snivel " but I can't. I'm out of money.

Don't cost a dime to snivel, just might not be all it's cracked out to be.
In all seriousness, I really would like some input on 12' box vs 8'6" frame.
The way I see it, as long as its secured much better than the standard few ubolts on each side, it should be just fine on there without extending the frame, right?

java

Expedition Leader
I don't think a 12' box is a good idea without extending the frame. The cantilever will also load the rear axle more.

Also remember the heaviest part of the box is the floor and rear door frame

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

UHAULER

Explorer
You can also think about shortening a 12' box, they are bolted or riveted together. At the same time you might be able to get rid of the rear door frame and make it lighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears