Our newest family member - meet BB (big blue)

aljenau

Just had to share this...
We have just returned home to Tassie after an 11,200 km trip to East Arnhem Land (home via lightning Ridge).
Whilst in 'The Ridge' we were just casually looking on Gumtree and found this in Coffs Harbour... a 750 km (each way) side trip later and we were the proud owners of BB the big blue bus (our name for her).
Nearly 7m long and 3.5m high, BB is based on a Mitsubishi Canter 4WD chassis - one of only two of these made, Airbag suspension, 4 batteries, inverter, etc etc BB.jpgBB2.jpg- how could we resist?
Now we can't wait to do her up the way we want and hit the road again!

blackduck

Explorer
Oh God don't do that you'll start a trend
which means one day we will end up with BGB
that's BIG BEIGE
actually its big gay beige

all the same nice bus
I did the same trick with my truck, put the dragon next to it so it looks taller
being 3 foot tall she makes anything look big (lets not go down the small hands path) :wings:
lucky she doesn't read this forum hey

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Congrats about time sum one brought the bus we had seen it a few times at Coffs.

Does it need much work?

alan

Explorer
It's ok, i might sneak over to Stu's one day and paint his truck for him.

Is that BB built by ATW?

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
It looks great! I would love to see the interior, if you would not mind. It looks like, through the windows, it has already had some form of camper conversion done on it, yes?

Very well done.

aljenau

Hi all - didn't realise I had so many posts on here...

BB had all running gear and engine replaced about 25,000 kms ago so it should last for quite some time to come.

The interior was done up for camping but using household furniture - think very heavy tv cabinets etc.
We have stripped it and I am in the process of fitting it out to suit us - now has almost 200 litres of water storage, lift-up double bed (storage under), nice big fridge/freezer, gas stove with oven to go in.

There will be 1000 watts of solar panels on the roof and four 130AH house batteries.

I am trying to get my head around the super single idea but there is so much conflicting information out there - I would like the 19.5" wheels so if anyone has any thoughts on that...

I am thinking of putting a drop down/fold up platform on the back of the bus to carry a two seat 250cc buggy - when the buggy is removed this would act as a deck on the rear of the vehicle to sit and drink margaritas on - an awning over the top and it would be perfect - anyone have any ideas on the legalities of a platform on the back of such a vehicle? Buggy length should fit across the back of bus without sticking out past the sides and buggy itself weighs around 280kg.

The other thing we need are opening windows! It gets rather hot inside without them - shouldn't be too hard as all glass on bus is flat sheets - am thinking sliding windows - have to have them on the drivers side as often need to stick a camera with long lens out the window.

I will post more photos soon

Cheers all

PS...

we are looking for expressions of interest in a possible trip to one of the most remote places in Australia (think East Arnhem Land). Most people will never get to see this place.
This will be remote bush camping at its best!
The wildlife and birdlife is spectacular, there will be barra fishing, guided tours, mile after mile of beaches and bush to explore, some meals may be included and there will be photography workshops (our photographer has over 30 years experience).
Participants must have four wheel drives with tents or camper trailer and must be self sufficient - the area is rugged in places!
Some of the wildlife can be dangerous and numbers are limited but if this sounds like you then we can be contacted by email at aljenau3@bigpond.com if you would like more information.
See you in the bush!
Alan

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
It's ok, i might sneak over to Stu's one day and paint his truck for him.

Is that BB built by ATW?
Hi Alan,
Maybe there were a couple of 637s built in the late 90's that looked just like that.....before my time though so not 100% on that. I must have missed this thread. Cool bus.

Hi new Alan,
Regarding 19.5's ....there are a few modifications required on the braking system to make a FG truck meet ADR35 / NB2 (truck above 4.5t) when you fit tyres more than 50mm diameter above what is stated on your tyre placard. The same modification is required for a FG converted to bus in orderto meet ADR35 / ME (bus above 4.5t) even on standard tyres with duals...I would almost be certain your truck , if it was properly converted to a bus has those mods already fitted. This will save you a bit if you decide to do a legally compliant conversion to large super single wheels ....and that is the only way to go. The alternative could be very costly in the long run. We had a guy came in a little while back to get his truck converted properly cause he was put off the road by qld transport for running his truck with large tyres and no engineering approval. He blew well over $6k on those wheels and tyres and took a big hit when he had to offload them. Doing it right the first time wouldn't have cost much more but now it's cost him double. If his truck was involved in an accident with that setup he would have been really stuffed.

Regarding your idea for a rear platform.......if your heading for East Arnhem Land I'd be using it to stand on when your fishing on a creek bank!!! Crocs up there are thick. We supply some of the remote aboriginal communities with 4x4 buses. The last one we built had to have a reinforced roof so they could all stand up there to be safe from crocs when fishing. !!! Hahaha. Sorry getting off track.......the only problem I can see with your idea is that you'll be over length to be legal on the road. You are allowed to overhang the centre of your rear axle by 60% of your wheelbase. If your wheelbase is close enough to 3400mm then you can go no more than 2040mm ( but check the wheelbase measurement exactly) behind the rear axle. Looking at your photo, there is no way you have enough room to fit a buggy sideways.......But I like your thinking, Alan.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There will be 1000 watts of solar panels on the roof and four 130AH house batteries.

Are you sure that there is enough real estate on the roof for that? I'd also check the warranty on the panels in a motorhome situation. Some of those really big glass panels like the 250watters may not like offroad abuse.

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
250w panels are a huge piece of glass, they flex quite alarmingly if you poke them in the centre with your finger and I suspect if they found their resonant frequency or got a good shock while driving they would self destruct.

I have them on my MH which is an old Army truck with zero suspension, so far so good but I support the glass with foam in the middle of the panel. That said the first time I drove it the foam blew out and I did 300k without it with no problems, admittedly on the bitumen but some parts of the Bruce Hwy are almost as bad as being off road :)

Jfet

Adventurer
We are also going to go with four of those 250 watt size panels (well, I am going to get the mono 265 watt versions but they are still big at 37.5" x 66")

Hopefully all of us will be able to handle the flex issues...

solarrooftilt.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan