Our newest family member - meet BB (big blue)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Alan, so they are 1250 x 550 and claim to be 100watts........that means 10 of them to make 1000 watts.....still asking you if you have that much room?

We tried some Chinese stick on monos about two years ago. Claimed to be 120watts...we estimated more like 50. Tried to send them back but ended up stuck with them. Threw most in the bin. Not saying that you will have same experience but I'd check the suppliers guarantee on power output or buy only one and do some tests before buying 10. Also give some thought to how you are going to secure the series cabling that usually comes on this type of panel.

PeteFox

Alan
You will end up very disappointed with these Chinese flexible panels. I have had them for a three years and they deliver nothing like their claimed power, I'd estimate about 80% when the panels are cold and dropping to about 50% in the hot part of the day. And this is in Tassie.
Over time the outer coating tends to craze and it delaminates from the substrate. I probably have a few months left before I have water getting in to the solar wafers.
Pete

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
The semi-flexible panels worry me, one of their main selling points is that you can glue them directly to the roof, but if you do that how well does the heat dissipate? And you lose the "tropical roof" effect you get from normal panels.

That said I plan to use them in future because of the weight savings, but I will still mount them off the roof a bit.

whatcharterboat has mentioned the power output of eBay panels are often not as they seem, but one more thing, the dimensions on the web site are often just plane wrong. If space is critical (which it usually in on a motorhome) get them to actually measure the panels, yep go out to the warehouse with a tape. They often just cut and paste the data from another panels and have little or no interest in getting the data right.

One more thing, some of the panel sellers will sell you panels with just solder tabs (on the back) if you want to get your wiring under the panel and out of harm's way.

aljenau

Mmm seems like a buggy on a trailer then - the tow weight is only 500kg though so I will have to be careful.

I still like the idea of the fold down/up deck as well

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The semi-flexible panels worry me, one of their main selling points is that you can glue them directly to the roof, but if you do that how well does the heat dissipate?

Hi Rob. How are you mate?

Stickon amorphous are fine. Virtually not effected by high cell temps. Mono crystalline solar is the most effected by heat filled closely by polys. . If you look at most stick on monos, they have a large white semi reflective area around each cell to help cool them supposedly.

This is why I keep harping on about efficiency ratings of panels being completely misunderstood in a motorhome application. When they claim a high 17% efficiency , 3 times better than amorphous, it doesn't equate to anything once you throw in cell temp derating, soil effect(dust) and performance at low sun angles.

Hey Alan, don't take any of this the wrong way...just want to give you some things to consider before you fork out good coin.

Last edited:

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Yeah amorphous are ok, I still have 8 of them, just put them on one of my containers today actually.

cell temp derating, soil effect(dust) and performance at low sun angles.
Not to mention physical damage. A mate of mine had 3 unisolar 64s peel off his roof at 90kph on the Tanami, one was not damaged at all, one was bent up a bit but still ok, and the third was bent pretty bad and the j-box ripped off. That night we had them all back in use, looking a bit rough but all working. Glass panels would still be there in a pile of debris on the side of the road :)

aljenau

This has me thinking they can't be too bad!

60 day money-back guarantee. No questions asked, simply return your purchase for a full refund.

2 year genuine warranty on workmanship/materials. This is a genuine warranty, unlike most eBay warranties offered by other sellers.
100% Australian owned and operated with old-fashioned service to match!

Jfet

Adventurer
This is why I keep harping on about efficiency ratings of panels being completely misunderstood in a motorhome application. When they claim a high 17% efficiency , 3 times better than amorphous, it doesn't equate to anything once you throw in cell temp derating, soil effect(dust) and performance at low sun angles.

Have you seen the pictures of the Mars rover Opportunity after 10 years on that planet? Absolutely covered in dust and still providing power to the rover. They are not amorphous cells. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan