out with the old in with the new

westyss

Explorer
Its not Nida Core, its a composit made in British Columbia to specific sizes.

I can't see where I missed it, but is there a website or contact info for the honeycomb manufacturer? I work in the aviation field and have access to aircraft grade honeycomb just not to the budget to afford it.

Yup, just like pods8 said, its Rinocore in Armstrong BC, Associated with Bigfoot, some where on this site I listed all the manufacturers that I found in 2010 in Canada and the US that do similar products.
here they are
http://www.amerimaxbp.com/home
http://www.rhinokore.com/products.html
http://www.ccvbc.com/composite_panel_systems.html
http://www.cranecomposites.com/facilities.asp
http://www.bellcomb.com/rail.aspx
http://www.portafab.com/aluminum_honeycomb_panels.shtml
http://www.ebertcomposites.com/contact.html
http://www.monopan.ca/

http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/ct

found in this thread
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Composite-(Nidacore-Rhinocore-etc.)-materials

westyss

Explorer
Taken from somewhere in this thread.

"BaseCamp, the rims I had made from 'Stockton wheel' they are 19.5 x 8.25 and I have michelin XDE2+ mounted on them, I went with these due to the amount of paved road travel I do and the fact that they are good for alot of miles, I was looking at Toyo 303 but could not get them here, I am a big michelin fan, every vehicle I have had I install them on, except my westy, no sizes available for it, but I really like the ride that they give me, and it sure changed the ride on the FG but apperantly they are not too good in mud, so far the mud I have gone through, around 16" deep, I had no problems, again everything is a compromise, give and take every where."

Walls are made by Rhinocore in BC

URY914

Observer
A couple of questions/comments

I'm getting in on this a little late as you can see from my post count, but I have a few questions:

-What is the height above the cab when the body is raised completely? Do you think the added complexity of the lifting body is worth the slight gain in MPG? I understand that you also reduce the height for clearance of trees, rocks, etc on the trail.

-I was thinking of your side door layout. I personally like a rear door layout as a safety exit feature. I know it is rare but if the camper were to ever be rolled on it side due to wind, washout, falling tree, etc, during the night you could still exit out the back. I know this may never happen and you could of course jump out a window but it's just a thought. I also find a rear door to be easier and quicker to get to from the driver's seat. I suppose the side door is better if you can just tell your wife to jump out and get a cold drink for you as it will be quicker for her than you. A rear door also allows for both sides of the unit to be uninterrupted in relation to the layout of the interior components.

-Do you ever wish it was about a foot longer or six inches wider? What were your driving factors for setting the width and length?

All this being said, I fully understand that everything is a tradeoff when it comes to designing and building a rig as nice as yours. I'm sure you are proud of it, as much as I would if it were mine.

Paul

pods8

Explorer
-I was thinking of your side door layout. I personally like a rear door layout as a safety exit feature. I know it is rare but if the camper were to ever be rolled on it side due to wind, washout, falling tree, etc, during the night you could still exit out the back. I know this may never happen and you could of course jump out a window but it's just a thought. I also find a rear door to be easier and quicker to get to from the driver's seat. I suppose the side door is better if you can just tell your wife to jump out and get a cold drink for you as it will be quicker for her than you. A rear door also allows for both sides of the unit to be uninterrupted in relation to the layout of the interior components.

Rear doors don't readily allow bike racks & suck on the back (or they have to be moved to get in) and tend to have a "galley" layout which really isn't that convenient/efficient when you think about it. Also in the case of this design he wouldn't have been able to have a step down in the back w/o giving up clearance in terms of departure angle.

In my mind side door is definitely the way to go. Put in an emergency exit style window if you're concerned.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Back doors are also continually covered with a thick layer of dust, which will get sucked in around the seals if it can find any possible way in.

URY914

Observer
Ok, I do see the advantages to the side door layouts now. Also the door is covered with the canopy when your set up on your campsite.

westyss

Explorer
I'm getting in on this a little late as you can see from my post count, but I have a few questions:

-
What is the height above the cab when the body is raised completely? Do you think the added complexity of the lifting body is worth the slight gain in MPG? I understand that you also reduce the height for clearance of trees, rocks, etc on the trail.

-Do you ever wish it was about a foot longer or six inches wider? What were your driving factors for setting the width and length?

All this being said, I fully understand that everything is a tradeoff when it comes to designing and building a rig as nice as yours. I'm sure you are proud of it, as much as I would if it were mine.

Paul

URY914,
sorry for the late reply but I was on vacation. But to answer some questions; the height of the camper unit is around 20" above the cab when raised, and obviously I feel that the effort to have a lifting roof was worth the effort to me, I previously had a westy, so if you look at a picture of my rig with your eyes squinted and all fuzzy like , doesnt it look like a westy?? Ok maybe not, but alot of the things I liked about westies is incorporated into my design. The fuel saving are much greater than "a slight gain in MPG", the drag from the roof extended is very noticeable, I was late getting to the ferry from Salt Spring Island early one morning, and as a result, forgot to lower my roof, and drove at about 50mph for twenty minutes, well during the drive I started to notice that the performance was off, thats when I realised that I had not lowered the roof. The drag was significant enough to be noticeable, and can only imagine what extra fuel used can add up to. Right now I average about 15mpg US. So to me the effort is and was mandatory in the design. Also I was happy to notice that even with the roof up I can drive around. And like you stated, going into the bush with it is much easier, just get the cab through and the rest is sure to get through.

Now the side door issue: That was the most important design requirement! As with the westy with a side door, it allows me to:
1) Have an outside living area once the awning is extended, this is a must for us! I make sure I park the rig with the wind on the drivers side, this allows us to have the awning out even when windy, and keeps us dry, no wind entering the camper and extends our living space, also there will be an outside kitchen area once complete. The areas that we camp in are mostly alpine lakes, and with that are almost always wind, with this setup we have no worries, although a few times the winds shifted 180 degrees, when that happens, I easily turn the truck around to keep the wind on the drivers side, had to move three times one trip. Oh and by the way, I live in British Columbia, where if you didnt know it sometimes rains here!Also worked well in Death valley during a wind/sand storm.
les%252520Death%252520valley%252520trip%252520128.jpg

2) Side door allows me to load all sorts of stuff on the back, like this picture shows
2011%252520jones%252520302.jpg

I normally have a couple of bikes back there, and whatever else that doesnt fit inside or in the boxes, I plan on having a small dual sport on the back too, what this does is it keeps everything in the trucks slipstream.
Having a door back there is just a pain, ask anyone who has a slide in camper, I know I still have two slide in campers, and a rear door is just not a good design, exits are easy to make if that is the worry, but having to design a complex hinge contraption for a spare, bikes, boxes etc. or any thing else is just too troublesome to me. In my experience, for example, say you had a bike on a rack that was difficult to get unloaded, human nature(lazy) will keep you from using the bike, if its easy to unload, then easy to use, and you will use it. the bike example could be many items, I just chose that one because it is an item that tends to fall into that catagory.

The last question you posed was about size, again coming from a westy, well this thing is already way bigger than my old westy! But keeping the size down was again very important to me, the width of the camper is approximately the width of the cab,I wanted to be able to sleep width wise, so that was worked into the design, height is also close to cab height, that one was a little more difficult to achieve, I did want to maintain at least a five foot inside height when the roof is down, and with a complex flat deck mount I couldnt keep the height to the cab. As it is it sits about 4-5 inches above cab height when down. Length was the only variable that I could have extended, and keeping in mind departure angle with all my stuff on the back, well this is waht I came up with, I just dont like big huge rigs for where I go, using the side area as living area was always the plan, so internal size was not so important. With all that being said, everything was a compromise, take your most important needs and incorporate them and fit as much as you can into what you have.

URY914

Observer
westyss, Thank you for your detailed reply to my post. I do agree with you on the side vs. rear door. The side door is the way to go.

For for my other comments, as I said in my post, I understand that everything is a tradeoff. Your rig got me thinking about building something for myself. I don't know if that is good or not. :(

westyss

Explorer
westyss, Thank you for your detailed reply to my post. I do agree with you on the side vs. rear door. The side door is the way to go.

For for my other comments, as I said in my post, I understand that everything is a tradeoff. Your rig got me thinking about building something for myself. I don't know if that is good or not. :(

Its a big decision, but with the right mindset can be fun, mindset for me is something I like doing, as opposed to "having to do it", sounds too much like work if I have to do it!
I say just commit to it and go for it, its only money anyway if something goes wrong, and can be a real learning experience too.

URY914

Observer
I agree. When it is your project, your design and your money you can do what you want. If you screw it up, you can fix it with more of your money and more of your time.

westyss

Explorer
For my holidays, I am taking a BC ferry where anything over twenty feet get an additional charge of $7 per foot, so normally I remove the rear rack by sitting it on a couple of saw horses, and drive away, but this time I wanted to do a little work on it, so I took a series of pics during the removal to show how the rack works.

First step is to remove the bolts on the right.

armstrong%252520salt%252520spring%252520tire%252520mount%252520058.jpg

Which allows the rack to swivel on the centre bolts.
armstrong%252520salt%252520spring%252520tire%252520mount%252520059.jpg

I used the bike carrier for additional leverage, the rubbermaid box has a few items in it, BBQ, folding shovel, hatchet, rope etc, there was some crashing about in there but no worries.
And just lower it down.
armstrong%252520salt%252520spring%252520tire%252520mount%252520060.jpg

armstrong%252520salt%252520spring%252520tire%252520mount%252520061.jpg

Ready for tire removal at a decent height, not too low or high.

armstrong%252520salt%252520spring%252520tire%252520mount%252520063.jpg

To get it back on, I use my temporary steps (cribs) with some levelling planks as a ramp, roll it up, lay it down on the upright and set it in place. Notice the fresh look of the rack?
armstrong%252520salt%252520spring%252520tire%252520mount%252520083.jpg

from there it gets bolted down, I have two rubber bushings that keep the bolts centred, with more rubber between the washers and rim.
armstrong%252520salt%252520spring%252520tire%252520mount%252520085.jpg

Ready to go, getting the rack upright again requires a little strength, maybe once I cant lift it I will mount a little winch to help, but so far its pretty easy.
armstrong%252520salt%252520spring%252520tire%252520mount%252520086.jpg

Once the rack is removed, the overall length is 19 foot 10 inches, but they never believe me at the toll booth and measure it anyway. No over height charges so the cost for the truck is the same as a car??

westyss

Explorer
Also made an aluminum box to house my espar hydronic heater, I know what you're saying,, you can buy those on Ebay for seventy bucks! but I wanted to get a little welding practice in so I made one.
I was a little surprised at how hard it was to get a ninety degree bend in the 1/8" Al.

hydronic2.jpg

Cover for it slides over for an overlap.
hyd5.jpg

hyd9.jpg

Its not supposed to be pretty!! just functional, dont look close at those welds.
hyd11.jpg

This will be mounted on the frame next to the steps.

Abitibi

Explorer
Amazing isn't it!

I had a chance to visit Yves before he left for his New Year holiday and got to see his great truck. This thing is neat and so well thought of, it's really an inspiring project! When Yves raised the roof I was surprised how easy and efficient it was, can't get any simpler... There are so many little details I noticed that didn't make it to this post but tie everything together to make this one of the nicest build. Well done!

I have to say, it's a bit sad those wheels and walls composite are no longer available as they work really well with Yves' unit. Having white plastic like walls brighten up the place and gotta be pretty easy to clean and maintain. Maybe some light maple plywood could rival with the interior finish but would never be as resistant.

I'm waiting for you Yves, once you're back from holiday im sure you'll be itching to head out in the local mountains for a change of weather...

Cheers
Mr. D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle